Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AitFit F20 With Dreamstation - AAV Issues
AitFit F20 With Dreamstation - AAV Issues
Hi

Just purchased a new AirFit F20 mask after using the F+P Simplus mask.

I find the Simplus has been leaking around the nose area into my eyes - I think its quite common, very annoying.

The new F20 fits and seals really well, really comfortable also - however the anti asphyxia valve keeps opening and shutting randomly frequently. Disturbs my sleep and the wifes - worst than snoring in her words.

I cant work out what is triggering it to close over the machine inlet. Some cases I can breathe out heavily and it doesn't close over the inlet testing it.

My  Dreamstation is set for 4cmH2O  to start - well within the specs for the F20 - and A-Flex @ 1. Mask type is off. 90% pressure is usually 6 - 8 cmH2O. I have set the machine to start @ 6cmH2o - with the Same Results.

Any ideas I really like this mask - even thought of removing the AAV but even though we haven't had a power outage for awhile - not really worth the risk I read.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AitFit F20 With Dreamstation - AAV Issues
AAV is a safety feature. Never remove a safety feature.

Welcome Stick around. We have quite a few members from the land down under.

The machine pressure is supposed to close the AAV which opens the mask to atmosphere in the event of the blower stopping.

May I suggest you download Sleepyhead software. Posting some graphs may permit the machine to be fine tuned with a slightly higher EPAP to keep the AAV closed; and even improve therapy. [url]https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE .[/url]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi

I have been using Sleepyhead since I started treatment as the Dreammapper app doesn't really give me enough info.

I have not seen a leak rate graph like that, and the misses indicated that it seem to coincide with the AAV noise - the Simplus mask when it leaks its massive spikes and the bridge of the nose leak doesn't seem to register as its so fine (sometimes I think its not a leak but where the vent holes are)

F20 Mask:

Post Reply Post Reply
kymmitsu,
A Simplus likes to be positioned lower than what you would expect.  I believe the intended leak is 24 L/min.  

You might see an additional improvement in your AHI by upping your bottom pressure from 4 to 7 and bringing down your upper limit to about 11.  This will tighten the response range that seems to help the CPAP's algorithm.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Increasing the lower pressure might also help to keep the AAV from opening and closing so easily. I think your problem with the AAV opening and closing so much imay be due to the low pressure and subsequently low flow rate. The "massive spikes" that you see on pressure are really not all that massive. They just look that way due to the low maximum pressure on the graph. The spikes are how the PR machine checks to see if maybe you need a higher pressure. If the higher pressure does not help then it returns to the original pressure. At 4 cm/H2O pressure the AAV may not close of the vent completely and when the machine tests a higher pressure it may slap the flappers completely closed.

Just my thoughts. Increasing the lower pressure limit to 5.0 or 6.0 for one night should tell you if what I am theorizing is correct.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kymmitsu,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it fine-tuned to better meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's not working well, could it possibly be faulty? Have you asked your DME?

I'm sorry I don't know this mask well enough to comment more competently.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi

Seem to go alright last night - no complaints of the AAV noise.

Ill see tonight - thanks for your help
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 46 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 184 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 108 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 155 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  issues during REM sleep... ifsmithy 5 212 03-04-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 249 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.