Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie
WTF is going here? (see attached report). Maybe i am reading the report wrong but i don't see any significant leaks.

I have the ResMed S9 Elite set on 14.0. Using a Full Face Mask.

This really scares me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie
Hi tztom,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there and someone will be able to help you interpret your data, soon.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Not being flip - but what I saw looks better than mine does on most days.

Could be a bad day. Phlegm in your throat and you were too tired to wake enough to clear your throat? How long have you been on your machine? How long at those settings? How long with that actual mask? Did you forget to fill your water chamber, or change a setting on it?

Change in your meds? Even over the counter? More importantly, how did you feel when you got up, *before* seeing this report?

Apnea and xPAP is about averages, not single sessions.

Honestly, there are many, many reasons for what you see, and most are no big deal. it's when it's every day, every hour you are sleeping that it's time to get scared and freaked. Seeing this would simply tell me to clean my gear, inspect my mask, look in the mirror in the morning (looking for lines, marks, etc), recheck my hose to make sure it's not damaged or getting tangled, and then watch the reports for a week or so. Course, if I had taken Nyquil the night prior - I wouldn't even waste my time.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
If this a typical night, follow up with your sleep doctor
Heaps of flow limitation and cluster of obstructive apneas inside the circle, might mean pressure is not high enough during this period which could include REM sleep or/and rolling on your back. Unlike fixed pressure machine, Auto-PAP can increase pressure when needed in response to flow limitation and obstructive events. on the plus side, leak is well controlled. When I see something like that in my report, usually my nose stuffed up but I use nasal mask, not full face mask
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with zonk: Given the timing of the cluster of events and flow limitations, it could very well be REM-related. Or you could have flipped onto your back. Or both.

And if this is typical of what goes on night after night, it's worth reporting it to the sleep doc. It could be that you need a bit more fixed pressure to properly control your OSA during supine REM sleep.

But if this is an atypical night, then it's worth chalking it up to the fact that we all have bad nights now and then and (literally) not losing any sleep worrying about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2014, 12:41 AM)Peter_C Wrote: Not being flip - but what I saw looks better than mine does on most days.

Could be a bad day. Phlegm in your throat and you were too tired to wake enough to clear your throat? How long have you been on your machine? How long at those settings? How long with that actual mask? Did you forget to fill your water chamber, or change a setting on it?

Change in your meds? Even over the counter? More importantly, how did you feel when you got up, *before* seeing this report?

Apnea and xPAP is about averages, not single sessions.

Honestly, there are many, many reasons for what you see, and most are no big deal. it's when it's every day, every hour you are sleeping that it's time to get scared and freaked. Seeing this would simply tell me to clean my gear, inspect my mask, look in the mirror in the morning (looking for lines, marks, etc), recheck my hose to make sure it's not damaged or getting tangled, and then watch the reports for a week or so. Course, if I had taken Nyquil the night prior - I wouldn't even waste my time.

Been on the machine only for a week. Same mask and same pressure. Humidifier was full and i washed everything out that night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2014, 12:50 AM)zonk Wrote: If this a typical night, follow up with your sleep doctor
Heaps of flow limitation and cluster of obstructive apneas inside the circle, might mean pressure is not high enough during this period which could include REM sleep or/and rolling on your back. Unlike fixed pressure machine, Auto-PAP can increase pressure when needed in response to flow limitation and obstructive events. on the plus side, leak is well controlled. When I see something like that in my report, usually my nose stuffed up but I use nasal mask, not full face mask

Yeah i wish i had found this forum prior to my doctor ordering the cepap. During the sleep study they brought me up to a pressure of 16 during the REM stages. I think i would benefit from an auto machine.

Does anyone know how it works with insurance. Can i return the machine i am renting now and exhcnage if i the Dr prescribes?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2014, 01:26 PM)tztom Wrote: Does anyone know how it works with insurance. Can i return the machine i am renting now and exhcnage if i the Dr prescribes?
Not absolutely certain but I believe you can return the machine in exchange to AutoSet* within 30 days. Also the doctor can write a new script for the machine and set the range

* Resmed makes two auto machines, S9 AutoSet and S9 Escape Auto. AutoSet is full data capable machine, Escape Auto is not, just slightly better than a brick but nevertheless still a brick
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2014, 03:30 PM)zonk Wrote:
(01-15-2014, 01:26 PM)tztom Wrote: Does anyone know how it works with insurance. Can i return the machine i am renting now and exhcnage if i the Dr prescribes?
Not absolutely certain but I believe you can return the machine in exchange to AutoSet* within 30 days. Also the doctor can write a new script for the machine and set the range

* Resmed makes two auto machines, S9 AutoSet and S9 Escape Auto. AutoSet is full data capable machine, Escape Auto is not, just slightly better than a brick but nevertheless still a brick

I am returning my auto set that I have been using since September 10, 2013. My doctor faxed a DC order to the DME. Don't let the DME pick what you have up until you get your new machine. What you need to do is contact your sleep doc or prescribing doc as the DME can't provide a new machine without the DC order and/or a new script. Now is the time to change DME's if you aren't happy with the one you have. Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 478 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.