Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to select the right CPAP machine
RE: How to select the right CPAP machine
It's a rare occurrence for these machines to break down. I've only experienced a machine failure once in almost 20 years usage of a CPAP, and that was mostly my fault - I drowned the thing with humidifier water.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2014, 08:48 AM)ispetera Wrote: Thanks guys for all the feed back.

I am from Hong Kong. Thanks for the suppliers list provided by zone.
Yes, I had found the CPAP machine with on-line suppliers in US is just one-third the price of Hong Kong.
Hard to believe the difference ! Of course, maintenance will be a problem as I need to ship the machine
back and fore for repair. Also the supplier can provide local support for any problems quickly.
And the supplier in Hong Kong will loan me a CPAP machine for free while my machine is under repair
during the warranty period (2 years). Is that worth three times the price ?

If anyone (did bought outside US from on-line supplier) can share his/her experience will help.

Hi ispetera and welcome to the forum! There are a couple of things I wanted to address in two of your posts. In your first post, you are trying to compare AHI. I don't know how long you used each machine, but my AHI will differ from day to day and week to week. You need long term data to give you really good information, and for comparing one machine over another... maybe a years worth of data to try and compare apples to apples.
A lot of people here (probably the majority) use the Resmed machines, but since I had to buy my own, I found that I wasn't willing to spend the extra money! I have a Respironics machine and love it. I don't know how the noise compares to the Resmed, but I did notice some noise. I folded a towel up and put it under the machine and I hear nothing! Smile Be sure not to block the port where the air comes in!
As far as a machine to use while yours is being repaired, many of us have 2 machines. I have a very old (my first!) RemStar that does nothing but blow air. No frills, no bells and whistles. But, in an emergency it will get you by and you can pick these things up for under $100.00. Just be sure you have a limited number of supplies on hand for a second machine if it is different from your primary machine!
Machine preference is a very personal thing. Everyone likes different things based on their compatibility with the way the machine works for them. Even different machines from the same vendor may work differently as the programming will vary from model to model. Whatever machine you decide to get, just use it, all night, every night. It is truly a life saving device and not wanting to use it for one reason or another is making the decision to potentially die in your sleep. Sleep-well
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mjbearit.

Thanks for your input.

I used all three CPAP machines about one week as my supplier allow me to try any brands of CPAP machines they have carried for the first month. As a first time user for CPAP machine it is very useful. In fact I tried five CPAP machines, two of them just not comfortable to me, I return them back just after two to three days trial.

Yes, what you say most likely is true. You need longer time to test a machine and AHI reported may not be compared directly between machines. So what I can do just spend more time on the machines I (and my wife) feel comfortable, and AHI is less than 5 for consideration. So here I am tried to get more information about these CPAP machines in this forum. For all the information I gathered here and else where. These three machines are among the top three in the market. Time is up. I have to make a decision very soon.

Thanks for everyone give me useful information here.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 214 4 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 4 163 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,442 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 345 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,249 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 253 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP machine fell on floor luigi28me 6 503 01-14-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.