Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S9 AutoSet not changing pressure?
Resmed S9 AutoSet not changing pressure?
Hello,

I have Resmed S9 Autoset. When I set it to autoset setting to does not change air pressure when I am wearing my mask and stop breathing. I checked it by holding my breath. Is there something wrong with my cpap? Please let me know. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed
Welcome to the society of Hoseheads, Batman

I am not an expert but your autoset is designed to look for the precursors to obstructive apnea and adjust the pressure before the apnea occurs. It also does not react to central apneas which is what you are manufacturing by holding your breath.

If you want to find out what the machine is doing you need to download either the Rescan or Sleepyhead software which will allow you to download the data and look at it in graphical form including the machine pressure. This presumes that your autoset has been set up in auto mode and is not working as a constant pressure machine which is an option with the autoset.

Along with the software, youwill need an SD card reader and your machine should have been supplied with an SD card. I would give you the links to get the software but I can not remember where they are (part of the creeping onset of senility). I am sure that someone will come along and provide you with the appropriate links. We all like to keep track of what is going on with our therapy.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Batman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
There are at least two ways that the Autoset can decide to increase the pressure. First, the Autoset uses the forced oscillation technique to determine if the airway is closed, when you stop breathing. See http://www.resmed.com/au/products/s9_ser...nc=dealers for an overview. That page also has a link to a white paper that goes into detail (but it's written for doctors.)

Second, the Autoset is able to detect snoring. If I put the mask on and make snoring sounds, my S8 Autoset II does nothing for about a minute, then on each breath, it increases the pressure by about 1 cmH2O per breath, until it hits the maximum pressure. (If it's actual snoring while asleep, it stops increasing the pressure when the snoring stops.) Try this test.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for warm welcome and for very helpful info. I will try and use this information. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2014, 04:59 PM)Batman Wrote: Hello,

I have Resmed S9 Autoset. When I set it to autoset setting to does not change air pressure when I am wearing my mask and stop breathing. I checked it by holding my breath. Is there something wrong with my cpap? Please let me know. Thank you.
Whats the minimum and maximum pressure setting and are you holding your breath during Ramp period
Whats AHI, leak and pressure displayed on the scren sleep report

I suggest get hold of the clinical manual, have all the information and available via email http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

S9 setup information, pictures and video guide http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

Download the software so you can see whats going on breath by breath
ResScan and SleepyHead download links http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

Post Reply Post Reply
My air pressure Min is 4.0 and Max 20.0. What other setting should I watch out for?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2014, 08:18 PM)Batman Wrote: My air pressure Min is 4.0 and Max 20.0. What other setting should I watch out for?
That is usually an unnecessarily wide pressure range. If you monitor your SleepyHead average and 95% pressures for a while, and search this forum for autoset pressure recommendations, perhaps you could narrow this to a more appropriate and comfortable range. It took a few months to get the range right for me.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S9 AutoSet not changing pressure?
Welcome to Apnea Board, Batman. I revised the subject line of your thread to be more descriptive of your post.

Thanks
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 409 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 183 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 186 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 375 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AutoSet for Her Mode brainfoggysleeper 4 226 02-25-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: brainfoggysleeper
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,213 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 255 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.