Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Alcohol & APNEA
Alcohol & APNEA
So...Last night I demonstrated to myself what I believe is a direct relationship between alcohol (wine) consumed and AHI/events. Instead of my usual 8.67 ounces of wine (1/3 bottle), in the company of good friends, I drank probably most of a bottle. When I looked at SleepyHead this morning, I was astonished to see way more events at much longer durations and a much higher AHI than usual. Has anyone (everyone) else observed this rather obvious phenomena? Just sayin'...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Alcohol & APNEA
I snore way louder after a night out on the booze. So I dont think alcohol and sleep apnea mixes well together.
Post Reply Post Reply
while, i agree alcohol and apnea is not a good mix.... i do like my wine (:
Post Reply Post Reply
I stopped drinking long before I was diagnosed with OSA. So, I have no first hand experience.
OTOH: Anything that depresses respiratory drive is contraindicated for those with OSA.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
OH YEAH, me too. In another discussion on this forum a member was commenting on waking with a pounding heart beat after drinking 7oz of vodka before bedtime. Same happens to me, but if i drink earlier in the evening and give my body a chance to detoxify before bedtime, i'm ok.

So, I enjoy drinking some wine every night and don't intend to quit. My feeling is that i would rather moderate than quit. So i try not to go too far over the limit and drink a bit earlier so it doesn't fight with cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2014, 01:39 PM)drgrimes Wrote: I try not to go too far over the limit and drink a bit earlier so it doesn't fight with cpap.
In your opinion, what is a reasonable limit?

Post Reply Post Reply
This is why you do all your drinking at noon so it wears off before bed. If anyone raises an eyebrow just tell em you have a condition. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2014, 06:18 AM)JimZZZ Wrote: So...Last night I demonstrated to myself what I believe is a direct relationship between alcohol (wine) consumed and AHI/events.
What events are we talkin about (obstructive, hypopneas, centrals)
How leaks and pressure stats (median, 95th, maximum) in comparison of being sober

Couples glasses of wine (Aussie wine of course) with dinner have no bearing on my AHI
My machine calculate any pressure adjustment needed throughout the night based on the severity of the events, so don,t think a glass or two going to stand in the way Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2014, 06:18 AM)JimZZZ Wrote: I drank probably most of a bottle. When I looked at SleepyHead this morning, I was astonished to see way more events at much longer durations and a much higher AHI than usual.

One night of data is not conclusive. Anything can make your AHI change from night to night.

Another thing that happens to me is that these effects are transient. If I get an increased AHI due to the intake of drugs (alcohol or other sedatives such as prescription sleep aids) it goes away after a few nights. In other words, even if alcohol consumption raises your AHI, it could be that if you repeat that alcohol consumption behavior for several nights in a row, the AHI might come back down to what it was before.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2014, 04:22 PM)zonk Wrote: Couples glasses of wine (Aussie wine of course) with dinner have no bearing on my AHI

I have the same experience, although I drink beer rather than wine. I have experimented by having none at all for a couple of weeks, and there was no overall difference in my AHIs.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,001 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,371 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,571 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,831 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,878 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] USING WINTERGREEN ALCOHOL FOR CLEANING/FRAGRANCE CPAPSC 2 744 03-09-2021, 01:21 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.