Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Alcohol and AHI
Alcohol and AHI
So just about everything I have read states that drinking alcohol before going to bed is bad for those of us with sleep apnea. That is disrupts sleep more and causes us to wake up more. Not that I have a lot of data to say one way or the other, but the last couple of nights do make me wonder about that. I have been on BI-PAP since April and since starting my avg AHI is 12+, it has been coming down since my doctor adjusted me to an auto setting vice a hard number range and is has averaged around 7 for the last month. I typically do not see numbers below 5 on a consistent basis, hardly at all as a matter of fact. So I had drinks both Sat and Sun night and my numbers were 2.61 and 2.82 respectfully. The two nights before my numbers were 10.07 and 5.01. Last night without drinking anything before going to bed my number was 7.52.

Like I said, I realize this is limited numbers and may just be coincidental, but I am really wondering. Does anyone else drink alcohol (like a glass of wine, not a full on booze fest) before going to bed and not really be impacted? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Alcohol and AHI
I often have a glass or two of wine with dinner 1-2 hrs before going to bed, but some nights I won't have anything. I started CPAP therapy 4 months ago and haven't seen any correlation between my AHI numbers and nights with/without wine. I'm averaging between 3-4 AHI, but sometimes my AHI is in the 2s and sometimes in the 5s.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've not seen any such difference in AHI, drinking a glass or two of Australian wine
I suppose a gallon might make a difference, if make it through the night in one piece

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
On occasion I have had a small glass of Gentleman Jack with ice and Coca-Cola. At less than a shot, it didn't seem to make any measurable difference.

YMMV, Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never seen a diff
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I never find it to make any difference unless I over indulge. By my definition, over indulging means more than two normal strength drinks. Unfortunately, I also find that two or less drinks do nothing else for me either. Wink

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2015, 01:43 PM)wxmcpo Wrote: I typically do not see numbers below 5 on a consistent basis, hardly at all as a matter of fact. So I had drinks both Sat and Sun night and my numbers were 2.61 and 2.82 respectfully.

Likely it's a temporary effect that would go away with time if you kept drinking every night. Different things affect the AHI in strange ways. It's important to remember that AHI measurements are not very precise.

The only other example I can think of is humidity measurements. In my house it varies from 48 to 55 for no apparent reason. It's affected by too many things to be able to explain it precisely. Outdoor humidity, outdoor temperature, indoor activities such as cooking and bathing. The list goes on.

As long as I can keep it between 48 and 55 I'm comfortable. Get it above 60 and I feel hot and uncomfortable. Get it below 48 and my nose dries up.

AHI standards, such as 5-15 indicates mild apnea, are simply assignments made by researchers so they can do research. Yes, I'm happy that I can keep mine below 5. But there are weeks when it never goes below 2, and others where it never goes above 1.

I feel comfortable most days because I get enough sleep most nights. Not all nights, but most. As long as I feel comfortable I'm happy.

By the way, when I drink it raises my AHI.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would love to get mine consistently below 5 with the occasional +5 night vice the opposite.
Post Reply Post Reply
No difference with me. I drink about a half shot of JD once in a while before bedtime.
Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI usually runs between .7 and 1.5 . On Saturday nights I will have 2 or 3 beers, rarely more than that. Can almost bet on having an AHI of 3+ that night. Not much difference but I do see my sleep negatively impacted.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] USING WINTERGREEN ALCOHOL FOR CLEANING/FRAGRANCE CPAPSC 2 744 03-09-2021, 01:21 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Alcohol IMPROVES my sleep apnea? hagrock 10 2,491 10-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Alcohol and Sleep dolppl 10 1,663 05-09-2020, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Alcohol and AHI ppca 3 1,236 05-08-2019, 11:00 AM
Last Post: ppca
  Alcohol and Lower AHI tiredPerson 12 3,644 08-18-2018, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Apnea Infant
  Alcohol and AHI Ockrocket 8 2,039 06-20-2018, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Therapy Questions [high AHI, smoker, drink alcohol] Tosh78 30 4,493 05-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Last Post: scroydon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.