Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Alcohol and AHI
Under certain conditions, an alcoholic drink or two before bedtime may well be beneficial. I can envision that it would help someone who is ordinarily getting a large number of CA's when first falling to sleep. Start with a double shot of Daniels and adjust as need be.
I do not find it makes a difference unless I drink a significant amount - i.e. more than 5 servings of any particular alcohol, in fairly close proximity to bed. Not that I condone such consumption - I'm just being honest that I occasionally do consume at that level, and have definitely noticed a strong correlation between drinks > 5 servings and AHI. I also come from a long line of drinkers, so it takes a fair amount for me to feel effected. Other people obviously take less alcohol to feel the effects.

The fact is that alcohol is a well-established and documented depressant and causes all muscles, including those in the throat and that control breathing, to relax, which in turn can increase apnea and hypopnea events.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alcohol Hanrahan 12 2,244 07-25-2015, 02:34 AM
Last Post: TyroneShoes
  events, alcohol, coffee and masks storywizard 16 2,774 06-03-2015, 09:32 PM
Last Post: MaddMike
  Alcohol and AHI novatom 15 3,473 02-18-2015, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sparkle
  Alcohol Consumption Rahul Pabari 3 1,104 12-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Last Post: PollCat
  [News] Booze or Snooze - negative effects of alcohol on sleep ApneaNews 6 1,850 10-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Doc J
  Alcohol & APNEA JimZZZ 11 2,781 04-23-2014, 08:11 AM
Last Post: JimZZZ
  Mask Seals and Alcohol JWR 10 2,720 02-07-2014, 01:29 AM
Last Post: eviltim