Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Alcohol and AHI
RE: Alcohol and AHI
Alcohol affects everybody differently, but also depending on how much % alcohol is in your blood. I think some people DO sleep better with some mild amounts of alcohol because they otherwise have excessive movement (numbs the brain so it numbs the messages going to the limbs). I find a beer can often reduce my issue with RLS, but only when I'm not having much trouble in the first place. I have not otherwise seen much change in my Sleepyhead data.
Post Reply Post Reply
This thread driving me to drink Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a few glasses of (mostly Aussie) wine with dinner each night. My last 7 days average AHI are about 1.8. Too much, and my 20% and 50% numbers go up, for sure, so I try to be moderate Smile

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2015, 05:22 PM)parkerdt Wrote: I have a few glasses of (mostly Aussie) wine with dinner each night.
[Image: like.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
So, i gather from this thread that all is ok if we only drink Aussie wine. I can't argue with that. You Aussies made some pretty good wine. I think too much alcohol, or food, too close to bedtime effects quality of sleep. Oh, and don't watch too much violent TV right before bedtime.
Post Reply Post Reply
I like a dab of Honey Whiskey in my Sleepy Time Chamomile Tea about an hour before bed. I don't drink it every night, but I may need to try it for a whole week and see if it makes any difference. I'm still in my second month and getting used to things, so it may not make that much difference yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Reviving this thread good topic!

For some of us that may drink (relatively lots) of beer sometimes, are there noticeable changes in the recorded sleep patterns?

I'm only a couple of weeks into using a machine with the holidays certainly had a couple of opportunities to indulge. Did not notice any change in AHI, only one embarrassing incident of "fell asleep before I put the mask on", lasted about an hour, but also reminded my wife how noisy life used to be before the machine...
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually gave up drinking in an effort to help shed a few pounds, proud to say I am down about 24 pounds (209 lbs down to 184 lbs) over the last seven weeks. Was hoping that to would have an impact on my AHI numbers, but it hasn't shown to help any.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2015, 04:09 PM)wxmcpo Wrote: I actually gave up drinking in an effort to help shed a few pounds, proud to say I am down about 24 pounds (209 lbs down to 184 lbs) over the last seven weeks. Was hoping that to would have an impact on my AHI numbers, but it hasn't shown to help any.

Nice job! Really! That is very significant hope you are tangibly enjoying that change!

A bit tongue-in-cheek, the machine may be a bit of a pass for the occasional pizza-and-beer...
Post Reply Post Reply
Did someone say beer? Two cases and a keg on the motorcycle...that's how I roll.

[Image: 28499586-0DC4-42C6-A40A-23FB539429DC.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] USING WINTERGREEN ALCOHOL FOR CLEANING/FRAGRANCE CPAPSC 2 755 03-09-2021, 01:21 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Alcohol IMPROVES my sleep apnea? hagrock 10 2,516 10-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Alcohol and Sleep dolppl 10 1,683 05-09-2020, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Alcohol and AHI ppca 3 1,246 05-08-2019, 11:00 AM
Last Post: ppca
  Alcohol and Lower AHI tiredPerson 12 3,674 08-18-2018, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Apnea Infant
  Alcohol and AHI Ockrocket 8 2,050 06-20-2018, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Therapy Questions [high AHI, smoker, drink alcohol] Tosh78 30 4,547 05-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Last Post: scroydon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.