Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Alcohol and CPAP
Alcohol and CPAP
I admit I am obsessed with my AHI and my treatment is progressing well. But, I still am very anxious at night when I wake up often. 

My question is: Does anyone take a glass of wine or a single can of beer just before bed in order calm or "depress" any anxiousness?
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Alcohol and CPAP
I have heard that having one drink per day can have health benefits, I usually save mine up and have a couple of weeks worth at a time. Smile Not really, for all practical purposes I don't drink. Is the anxiousness an issue that started after you started CPAP?

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2017, 12:20 PM)DavePaulson Wrote: I have heard that having one drink per day can have health benefits, I usually save mine up and have a couple of weeks worth at a time. Smile Not really, for all practical purposes I don't drink. Is the anxiousness an issue that started after you started CPAP?

Dave

The anxiousness is because of the problems requiring cpap. I have been very comfortable adjusting to CPAP. Now I am working on my sleep hygiene and not waking up after each sleep cycle.  I appear to be getting enough sleep. I just seem to wake up after each cycle.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
More of an indirect reply - as someone who likes to drink on a regular basis, it was interesting for me to see that my AHI is reported higher by my machine on non-drinking nights.  100% consistent since I started APAP (almost 2 years). 

In my case nervousness related the therapy is not a factor.

For reference my average AHI is well under < 2, and may go up by 0.8 or so when I don't have drinks.

We are all different, so just sharing data nothing else.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2017, 07:04 PM)DanPrado Wrote: More of an indirect reply - as someone who likes to drink on a regular basis, it was interesting for me to see that my AHI is reported higher by my machine on non-drinking nights.  100% consistent since I started APAP (almost 2 years). 

In my case nervousness related the therapy is not a factor.

For reference my average AHI is well under < 2, and may go up by 0.8 or so when I don't have drinks.

We are all different, so just sharing data nothing else.

I'm much the same. I've always seemed to have a beer or 3 after work. Now retired I have to be careful not to let myself go.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had the same result despite numerous doctors assuring me that drinking alcohol results in disturbed sleep.  Then again, I have had a few decades of practice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies. My focus now is on sleep hygiene and I too feel a drink or two, late in the afternoon or early evening, allow me to sleep better. Too many works against me. 

My worst habit I have is trying to break is my clock watching. I think I get enough sleep but waking up 3 or 4 times a night makes for a long night. 

Again thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
and what's wrong with a drug induced coma anyways  like
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2017, 08:52 AM)Rcgop Wrote: like Thanks for the replies. My focus now is on sleep hygiene and I too feel a drink or two, late in the afternoon or early evening, allow me to sleep better. Too many works against me. 

My worst habit I have is trying to break is my clock watching. I think I get enough sleep but waking up 3 or 4 times a night makes for a long night. 

Again thanks

The cure for clock watching  is retirement.  I usually awaken refreshed by 7:00-7:30, but I don't worry about it or check the clock...I get up when I get up. like
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting - I have the same results - a few drinks generally results in a low ahi!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] USING WINTERGREEN ALCOHOL FOR CLEANING/FRAGRANCE CPAPSC 2 776 03-09-2021, 01:21 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Alcohol IMPROVES my sleep apnea? hagrock 10 2,567 10-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Alcohol and Sleep dolppl 10 1,717 05-09-2020, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Alcohol and AHI ppca 3 1,258 05-08-2019, 11:00 AM
Last Post: ppca
  Alcohol and Lower AHI tiredPerson 12 3,713 08-18-2018, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Apnea Infant
  Alcohol and AHI Ockrocket 8 2,067 06-20-2018, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Therapy Questions [high AHI, smoker, drink alcohol] Tosh78 30 4,583 05-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Last Post: scroydon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.