Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Alcoholic drinks and sleep quality
Alcoholic drinks and sleep quality
I thought that alcoholic drinks would make my apnea worse, but lo and behold, after having a drink or two, my ahi went the lowest it ever had and I slept like a baby. It has happened 2 or 3 times in the past month I've been using an apap machine. Is this normal? Or have any if you experienced something like that?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Alcoholic drinks and sleep quality
The reason is the flumes from your drinks gets ingested by the machine. The machine passes out and can't count the events any longer.

Just kidding! Bug-eyed

I would think it would be worse so I'm surprised yours was lower. I wouldn't recommend drinking every night however.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Apnea girl,
Yes I have noticed this. For me, I have to keep it at one or two measured(1oz) drinks, and my AHI is better also. I am a whisky drinker, so this is a benefit.
Best regards,

Analog
Post Reply Post Reply
I have noticed the same time, though I am not as good as Analog in keeping it restrained.  

Note: getting totally legless does NOT cure sleep apnea!   Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
I notice too that my hangovers are not as bad since starting PAP therapy, but I am also on oxygen because of my altitude so that helps.
Prior to getting on the PAP I really limited my alcohol intake because the sleep was not good, now I regularly enjoy aperitif while cooking evening supper.

Like member "Analog", I enjoy whiskey... Weller's Reserve is my normal go-to but J. Reiger&Co. makes a lovely whiskey/ rye blend.
Post Reply Post Reply
I could use this as an excuse to test the theory   Big Grin
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI stays the same - my machine is auto - but my pressures go up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not a big drinker and I rarely have more than a beer or 2 on the odd night when I indulge.  When I do, my AHI is almost always lower which I find surprising. I was wondering if I was the only one.   I'm fortunate that my average AHI is low around 0.5.  When I have a evening drink, my AHI dips to 0.1 and even zero.  Maybe I should increase my consumption!
Post Reply Post Reply
Same if I have a drink several hours prior to bed. If right before it negatively effects my sleep. I have also noticed Aerophagia is worse after a drink close to bedtime. Any one else experiencing this.

Maybe we should all become afternoon drinkers!

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
We may end up with a Apnea Board AA Chapter here if this continues.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 248 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Poor sleep quality and how it affects you p123 6 871 02-01-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: glenncol
  Poor sleep quality because of CA events? Hypoxic 20 1,209 12-20-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 8 624 12-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Diagnosis] Excellent AHI, poor sleep quality --> palatal prolapse? aquamike 5 852 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.