Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

(Aerophagia) Airsense 11 Auto vs Aircurve 10 VAuto?
(Aerophagia) Airsense 11 Auto vs Aircurve 10 VAuto?
A few years ago I bought a Dreamstation 500 Auto Cpap unit.  After only a few nights of use it gave me aerophagia so bad I had to stop using it.  I had burring chest pain for weeks after stopping use.  I want to try again but am scared to death to go thru this again.  My script is for a CPAP but I am wondering if the Bipap would be better.  Does the new Airsense 11 Auto work better than older CPAP units at controlling expiration air pressures or should I go back to my Dr and get him to change script for Bipap and get the Aircurve?  Not sure which way to go here and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airsense 11 Auto vs Aircurve 10 VAuto?
Unlike your Dreamstation the Airsense 11 Autoset has a feature called EPR (exhale pressure relief) that is equivalent to bilevel pressure with a difference of up to 3-cm between inhale (IPAP) and exhale (EPAP) pressures. This reduction during inhale, together with limits on peak pressure, usually provides relief to people suffering aerophagia, as compared to the Philips machines. The Aircurve 10 Vauto is a full bilevel machine and is capable of more pressure support (a greater difference between IPAP and EPAP), and also has some inspiratory timing, trigger and cycle sensitivity capabilities that allow more fine-tuning, although you may or may not use those features. There is a significant cost difference between the machines. Chances are the Airsense 10 or 11 Autoset will provide more relief. Keep in mind the minimum pressure of any of these machines is 4.0 cm, and we often compromise between optimal pressure for AHI and relief of aerophagia. How severe is your untreated apnea?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airsense 11 Auto vs Aircurve 10 VAuto?
Aerophagia (the swallowing of air) has little to do with the machine brand you're using.  
There are other variables that contribute to the swallowing of air.  

Just a few come to mind:  

Your pressure settings may be too high or even too low.  With the latter, if pressures are too low, you may feel what we call "air starved" and start gulping air.  This air likely ends up directed to the esophagus and stomach, causing bloating and pain.

You may have nasal congestion, in which you could start to gulp for air.

Are you a mouth breather?  If your mouth/jaw falls open, then the air is not going where intended. You might feel an unconscious panic to breathe and gulp air in quickly, forcing it into the esophagus.  

If your pressure is too high, you may feel anxiety trying to breathe out against the pressure.
This may cause you to gulp in air.  EPR (exhale pressure relief) can help.  

Also, many folk that suffer with Aerophagia have resorted to using the Cpap mode instead of auto mode.

The Airsense 10 and 11 work much the same as EPR goes.  The AirSense 11 includes the "for her" mode, which could be helpful to you.  

If you have the opportunity to use a AirCurve 10 VAuto, that would be the way to go.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Get_Taken

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Discussion
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: (Aerophagia) Airsense 11 Auto vs Aircurve 10 VAuto?
Thank you both for the great replies. There is no doubt Sleeprider that my Apnea is bad enough now where I HAVE to do something about it. Some of problems you listed OpalRose may have contributed to the problem. I am hoping this new machine would solve them. The price difference between the Airsense 11 and Aircurve 10 is $200 so thats not a very bad price at all to me so if it would help more that would seem to be the way to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: (Aerophagia) Airsense 11 Auto vs Aircurve 10 VAuto?
At that price difference definitely go with the VAuto. You may not need the additional capabilities of the VAuto but they will be there should they be needed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 293 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 592 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 850 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 547 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,489 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.