Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Algorithm with how airsense 10 with EPR of 3 adjust pressure compared to a Vauto?
Algorithm with how airsense 10 with EPR of 3 adjust pressure compared to a Vauto?
I know that alot of people consider EPR of 3 on the airsense 10 as bilevel and I was just wondering if the machine adjust pressure with the same algorithm as the Vauto. 

The reason why I'm asking this is because from my understanding when EPR is set on an Airsense 10, technically the IPAP is what changes whenever a pressure adjustment is needed when it's in APAP mode (if i'm not mistaking) and the EPR of 3 or so (EPAP) is just for comfort relief. Whereas in the Vatuo, the EPAP is what changes  when a pressure  adjust is needed and the IPAP just follows based on the whatever the set pressure support is so technically both machines do not adjust pressure the same although they are both considered a Bilevel setting.

So a setting of a pressure of 10 with an EPR of 3 on an airsense 10 (which would equal 10/7 on a Vauto) wont adjust pressure the same as a setting of pressure of 10/7 on a Vauto.

If this is incorrect, please let me know and hopefully i didnt sound too foolish Smile. Hopefully I did not confuse anyone with my logic or explanation lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Algorithm with how airsense 10 with EPR of 3 adjust pressure compared to a Vauto?
Consider you have a pressure of 10cm on the Air Sense with EPR of 3cm. On the VAUTO it would be set to 7cm EPAP with 3cm Pressure support. Both machines would react the same.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Algorithm with how airsense 10 with EPR of 3 adjust pressure compared to a Vauto?
CPAP a single Pressure

Auto CPAP a range of single pressures
Auto CPAP w EPR a range of single pressures with EPR subtracting from that pressure (vs PS adding to Exhale pressure as in Bi Level)
BiLevel Two pressures, Exhale and Inhale which equals Exhale + PS / Pressure support
Auto BiLevel a range of Exhale Pressures and Inhale pressure which  equals Exhale + PS / Pressure support

So while the algorithm is different the therapy can be the same within the limit of 3 cmw EPR is capable of.

a setting of a "fixed" CPAP pressure of 10 with an EPR of 3 on an airsense 10 (which would equal EPAP =7, PS = 3, Max IPAP 10 on a Vauto)
Post Reply Post Reply
Your explanation or understanding seems pretty good on this and are pretty consistent with my observations. An Autoset and Vauto have no significant differences in behavior up to EPR or PS 3, as long as EPAP and IPAP are the same. So an Autoset with minimum pressure of 10 and maximum pressure of 15 with EPR 3, will adjust pressure nearly the same as , a Vauto set to EPAP min of 7.0 and maximum pressure of 15.0 with PS 3.0 (10/7 - 15/12). There may be some subtle differences in the rate of increase or decrease, but in regular Autoset mode, I have not seen it. The Vauto can be adjusted for Ti min and max and trigger/cycle sensitivity, and the Autoset may have soft and For Her modes. Other than that, the mask pressure wave form looks identical, as do the responses in pressure increases and decreases to events and flow limitations.

We don't have access to the actual algorithms, but to my eye, they are pretty similar. It makes sense that the provision for Ti, and sensitivity modify the base algorithm in the Vauto, and Mode settings are essentially different algorithm selections. The algorithms are probably similar, but we are really talking about logic settings that control a motor based on settings and sensor inputs. To the best of my knowledge, the sensors and motors are also the same.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to both of you for responding. So does the epap adjust during events on the VAuto or is it the ipap that adjust? Cause if it's the EPAP that adjust on the VAuto, doesn't that mean that the Ipap technically adjust during events on the airsense 10 when EPR is enabled? If so, how can you technically get the same results in auto mode for both machines when the EPAP is adjusting on the VAuto and the Ipap is adjusting for the airsense with EPR on
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks sleeprider as well. Im just now seeing your post. I think we posted at the same time lol
Post Reply Post Reply
I think my answer addresses the auto pressure aspect. PS and EPR are a constant, and both EPAP and IPAP mkve together within the setting limits.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR is crap, its sluggish and too short, On VAuto with Ti control and trigger, the same pressure settings could be matched to someones natural rhythm.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2018, 04:08 AM)crowtor Wrote: EPR is crap, its sluggish and too short, On VAuto with Ti control and trigger, the same pressure settings could be matched to someones natural rhythm.

Actually EPR works for a lot of people. Maybe not you though.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2018, 04:08 AM)crowtor Wrote: EPR is crap, its sluggish and too short, On VAuto with Ti control and trigger, the same pressure settings could be matched to someones natural rhythm.

You have both machines.  Compare the mask pressure wave form and convince me they are different.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 465 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 88 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  What machine? VAuto vs ASV snapperzz 3 141 03-16-2024, 10:55 AM
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 729 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.