Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

All Things Sauerkraut
(01-31-2014, 07:55 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: This thread got me thinking about making Reuben Sandwiches.
Learn something new every day

The Reuben sandwich is a hot sandwich of corned beef, Swiss cheese with Russian dressing, and sauerkraut. These are grilled between slices of rye bread. Several variants exist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuben_sandwich
Wikipedia is a wonderful thing Zonk! Exactly correct! Smile I almost listed a full description in my original post. I get a corned beef roast and cook it several hours in a crockpot until done. Slice it, then put the sandwiches together, butter outside slices of bread and cook in a skillet flipping them to brown on each side letting the swiss cheese melt. I add the russian dressing after they are cooked.
It's hard to beat a good Ruben...I used to get them at a place that grilled them on a rye bagel. Unfortunately that place closed down and I've been hard pressed to find a decent one I didn't make myself. I rarely make them myself, but when I do I put the Sauerkraut for them in a thin layer in the bottom of a large shallow baking dish and bake it uncovered until it gets browned on top...kinda carmelized (not sure if that's the proper term).

Sadly, I fear to hare any of my 'truck-driver' jokes. Doctor jokes are funny, but safer in mixed company I think.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
(01-31-2014, 07:43 PM)zonk Wrote:
(01-31-2014, 06:52 AM)DocWils Wrote: As for sauerkraut - had some last night, with chicken sausages and baby potatoes - Mmmmmm Mmmmmm gooooooood.....
we had chicken and bubble squeak (potato and savoy cabbage) , washed down with few glasses of Aldi Gewurztraminer from Alsace ... if you cannot beat them, might as well joined them Too-funny

Bubble and Squeak, eh? Otherwise known as Colcannon, it is a favourite winter meal of mine - the right time of year for all those wonderful vities, and since I no longer have to work in a sterile environment (the OR), the gas is not a problem Wink.

Hmmm...today they have the farmers market at the Marktplatz around the corner...maybe time for a bit of cabbage shopping....
(01-31-2014, 11:44 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Sadly, I fear to hare any of my 'truck-driver' jokes. Doctor jokes are funny, but safer in mixed company I think.

Not all that keen on doctor jokes myself...

It is important to stay on the good side of Doctors... smiles. My family is very involved, several doctors and nurses. It is becoming a family legacy. Back to cabbage and sauerkraut.
An Alaska aside here first. The Moose are big part of life up here in many places. They love cabbage. It takes a little extrra effort to bring a home grown cabbage to harvest time. I have seen many determined gardeners with ten foot high fences.

There's a sauerkraut thread on here of all places? I've made it a few times and I really like it. Home made sauerkraut is POTENT, it's not at all like the stuff out of a jar. There's the obvious porkchops and sauerkraut or reuben sandwiches but I like it just as a snack.

Actually, I need to get myself a bigger jar so I can do a big batch.
bugger sauerkraut, I like poutine! Chips, gravy, cheddar cheese curds, what's not to like? One serving of heart attack on a plate, extra sauce, please.:grin:

I like gravy made with brown rice flour but it takes a while to get used to it. there is another kind of flour that I like to be used in my gravy but I can't remember the name of it. I like gravy for any meal. today we are having sweet potatoes (baked) with unsalted butter and cinnamon. I like sweet potatoes too. sauerkraut.. never did get used to it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Anybody still use these things? PollCat 21 1,966 11-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Last Post: remscape808