Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

All day dyspnea, have had jaw surgery and a trach to "fix" it. Looking for a bipap
Sad 
All day dyspnea, have had jaw surgery and a trach to "fix" it. Looking for a bipap
Basically on a trach now, but still having difficulty breathing. Each breath makes all my muscles work extra hard (especially upper back) and it's very painful. I have had this since I was a child.

Had double jaw surgery to improve airway, didn't work so now on a trach.

My question is. What machine can help me breath or just.. breath for me?

I've researched resmed's v-auto and resmed's st-a model

Will the S mode on v-auto be enough to help relieve my muscles.

Or will the S/T, T, or iVAPS mode on the st-a provide more relief?

(i will be attaching the hose directly to my trach) 

Please help, this is my last resort, currently on a ton of meds, fentanyl, other opioids and tons of clonazepam.

Sleep studies are useless since I have no obstruction (on a trach) and the clinic can't really measure your pain...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: All day dyspnea, have had jaw surgery and a trach to "fix" it. Looking for a bipap
jomsart,
Sorry to hear about what you are experiencing, but I feel that you really need to have this discussion with your health care professionals.  

You list a ResMed st-a in your profile.  Are you currentLy using this?  And how is this device attached to a trach?

I'm not sure that anyone here on Apnea Board has the expertise to help you with this.  Please have a serious discussion with your doctors for advice.  

To answer your question, a Ventilator may be the only machine that can breath for you.  But how that gets hooked up to the trach is beyond what we can advise.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: All day dyspnea, have had jaw surgery and a trach to "fix" it. Looking for a bipap
The Resmed Aircurve 10 ST-A in iVAPS mode appears to be the best fit to resolve your complaints. The machine specifically targets alveolar ventilation rate which is a close analog to minute vent. It adaptively changes pressure support to maintain this respiratory volume and rate. The best information on use of iVAPS is in the clinical manual available to you from the forum, however the Resmed Titration Guide has an excellent description of this machine and mode, and will help you better understand it. See the iVAPS section at page 34 of the document linked below. If you already use the ST-A but don't use iVPAPS mode, then your solution is to revise the settings. You can discuss with your doctor or we can help you to do that. https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...er_eng.pdf
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With ResMed, the Astral 100 or 150 can be used non-invasive like CPAP class or invasive for various trachea tube connections. The 100 and 150 can be single limb intentional leak as in normal CPAP use, a single limb with expiratory valve, then exclusive to the 150 is double limb, either with intentional leak or expiratory but as it's a double, it has a return line to the machine for monitoring. As I recall, any of those 3 hose/line methods may be non-invasive or invasive such as trach tube connections.

Below is a PDF link to ResMed accessories pertaining to your possible needs. My research for my own needs is why I found this PDF. There's other machines on this PDF as well, but as I see it, only the Astral is intended for invasive and non. Nevertheless, the advisement is to discuss this with your doctors. Maybe in a conversation with them, bring up the Astral 150 as a possible device for your specific needs.

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...nz_eng.pdf
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just put it in there during the registration. It's currently the device I'm planning to buy. The tube that connects to a nasal pillow fits perfectly with my size trach. (bmc p2) so no issues there. Thank you for your comment. I've been to a lot of professionals already regarding bipap/vents  and non has helped(3rd world country, so limited knowledge and tech). I had a 400$ sleep study that refused to set it to max iPAP. i was already feeling a bit of relief at 15 cmh20. It was such a waste of money. That's why I'm asking this board.

The other comments seem to be suggesting the ST-A because of the iVAPs setting. Hopefully more people comment so I can make my investment. Thank you again for your concern!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have some experience with Trachs from many years ago, my wife had a trach for over a year. She does not use a PAP machine

There are many types of trachs. The one used with a CPAP would need to designed to connect to it, and either the trach itself or an adapted between the CPAP hose and Trach would need a vent for exhaled air to escape as does any mask. These parts we would be of minimal help for. Otherwise, I'm sure we could help with settings. The BiLevel SleepRider mentions above should be a good machine for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll be looking into this!
Post Reply Post Reply
Not using the device yet. I just put it in for registration, but this comment is reassuring. 

Can you explain iVAPs like im a 5 year old? I only understand a bit. Will it help breathe for me and relieve my respiratory and back muscles?
Post Reply Post Reply
Ill do more research on the bilevel sleeprider! Thank you!.

I really didn't expect this board to be so helpful. My sleep doctor just wants money, the sleep studies are operated with a lazy technician and the machines they sell are marked up 300% like wtf. I'm really thankful i found this forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to add to the info, ResMed ST-A, Stellar 100 & 150 and then the Astral 100 & 150; all these have iVAPS a variant of AVAPS as a mode to select. The "i" in iVAPS is intelligent AVAPS in ResMed speak. If any/all these have the capability of hooking to your trach, then let this edit my above comment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 4 63 11 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,229 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 255 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,955 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 708 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.