Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

All of a sudden rainout after years of use and now Condensation in Mask & Elbow only.
All of a sudden rainout after years of use and now Condensation in Mask & Elbow only.
I have used my Airsense 11 for most of the past 2 years on Auto humidity And Auto Resmed Climate Line (replaced this a few times).  All of a sudden this week, (with no environment changes or any other changes), I keep having rainout in my Eson 2 nasal mask.  With nothing changing from when I’ve used it before, I can’t figure out why all of a sudden is causing my nasal mask to have water.  I know a lot about the machine and tubing and can’t make sense of it and now it’s keeping me up most of the night. (This climate line is maybe only 2 months old). So, last night I for the first time in years switched it to Manual.  4 humidity and 78 tube temp (we are in Ohio and it’s chilly and still runnning heat in house so it’s dry). I got rainout with this Manual setting too!!! I don’t understand how the machine and tube performed so well for years on Auto , now it’s rainout with manual and auto? Please let me know what could be causing this? (I’ve already read articles and know a lot about rainout). Thank you so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Complicated issue with all of a sudden rainout after years of using on Auto
I use setting 4 and tube temp of 80, but cover the tube and mask tube with a SnuggleSkins fleece cover, with no problems in PA. Our house temperature is around 70. Your humidity and tube settings and ambient temperature are all variables to control the dew-point of your equipment. To move towards less rainout, we need to make slight changes to lower humidity or increase the tube temperature or room temperature. Unfortunately there is some trial and error involved. If you have a standby heated tube, you might want to give it a try as it is very hard to determine if the tube is working properly.

I have some suggestions. First, but your tube on a hanger (I use a lanyard to connect to a hook) so that your tube rises from the machine before dropping back to your sleeping position. This ensures any water condensing in the tube near the machine will flow back to the humidifier. Second, use a fleece cover. I know about the warnings, but have done this since 2008 with no problems. A fleece cover makes the cold hard tube, soft and less disruptive and buffers against cold air in your room. Your perceived warmth of air comes more from the humidity setting than the tube setting. You can increase the tube setting without really affecting the temperature of air in your mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Complicated issue with all of a sudden rainout after years of using on Auto
It is certainly a puzzle, and frustrating.  I have a really good record with my machine and ClimateLine hose.  But twice in the past three weeks I have heard the thud, or gurgle, when I first don the mask at night, and the first time I had to remove the hose and dump it.  

It can only be due to relative humidity and about the seal around the face and mask.  The former is affected by water surface area, water temp, hose temps AND length, and the room's temp and ambient humidity.  A cold room will make the outer reaches of the mask that much cooler, away from skin, also. This means mask condensation.  Finally, your own production of moisture in your exhaled breath will have an impact.

As for the seal around the mouth, if there's a bit of escape, that moisture is lost, but only in the mask volume.  The hose will still produce the same humidity along its length.
Post Reply Post Reply
Condensation in mask and elbow Only
I have discovered the condensation is happening in my mask and elbow of mask - Eson 2 only and not the tube (tube is resmed climate line 11 and fleece liner).  How do I stop the condensation that is happening in my mask and elbow Only?? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Condensation in mask and elbow Only
I would greatly appreciate any help.  My Eson 2 mask and elbow of mask are getting condensation and dripping on my nose waking me up. There appears to be no condensation in the Climateline 11 resmed (has a fleece cover on it and I use Auto humidity on Resmed Airsense 11). I don’t want to adjust my bedroom temp and Auto always seemed to work in the past on Airsense 11. How can I stop the condensation that’s dripping from inside the mask and elbow onto my nose? Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Condensation in mask and elbow Only
HMG7450,
I have merged your last two threads since they are on the same topic.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you sure we should merge them? The new post I did today - I would like it to remain separate and a completely new post please.  My first post was different it was about rainout in the line. This to me is a new issue and seiarate. I’m having bad rainout in the mask only and need new advice. Rainout in the mask only is a little different from in the line. Could you make sure this is a new thread please? Thank you

Administrator Note:  Please see the PM I sent you.   Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Padacheek makes cushions and mask covers for the Eason and Eason 2 mask. This should prevent cold air outside the mask from causing condensation in your mask and elbow. https://www.padacheek.com/product-page/m...er-nasal-d
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: All of a sudden rainout after years of use and now Condensation in Mask & Elbow only.
I think you should reduce the humidity setting. Whether it's a combination of your own moisture-laden breath meeting the cold plastic and the humidity in the air feed, or just either one of those, you clearly have enough condensation that you are being aroused from needed sleep. Back off by 50% of your current setting, or simply turn it off if the setting is already under 3, and see what happens for a couple of nights. Or, follow Sleeprider's suggestion to insulate the area affected.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: All of a sudden rainout after years of use and now Condensation in Mask & Elbow only.
Hi,
Unfortunately, I do not have an answer for you. But- I have an Airsense 11 with climatelineair 11 for about 6 months, and last week I started to get water in the mask AND tube. my setting was auto both for humidifier and temperature. a [DME Link Removed]Supplier #1  
consultant asked me to try manual setting of 5 and temperature of 25 celcius for one night and report to her. that was last night, and it was worse. I got a lot of water and gurgle in the tube. today I am going to call again. I am afraid there is a problem with my machine. the temperatue at my bedroom is about 21 c and humidity 65%

-----
Moderator Action: DME Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, links to DME-owned or DME-operated websites and links to pages that sell prescription-required items are prohibited in forum posts.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 119 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 106 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 177 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,016 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 331 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 679 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 542 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.