Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

All was fine last night and then after 2 hrs everything went crazy!
All was fine last night and then after 2 hrs everything went crazy!
Is there a way to post my chart data other than screen shots? I would like to post the data so an interested member could import it and expand the graphs on their own without me having to zoom in on small time intervals and post too many screenshots.  The first two hours of sleep last nite were great, and then everything went crazy, and for the first time I had to take off my mask after two hours of fighting mask and machine
Here are some all night screen shots of previous nights and last night.

[attachment=10276][attachment=10277]
Typical Previous Nights

[attachment=10278]
Last Night
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: All was fine last night and then after 2 hrs everything went crazy!
You are now using ASVauto mode at 5-30 PS 3 to 15. The "bad" night has a lot of leaks, and we might let that go, however compared to your previous use of the machine in ASV mode at 7-22 PS 6-15, your flow limitations and hypopnea events have increased. To continue the experiment in ASVauto, the PS min should be moved to 4.0 since that apparently helps with both of those issues. More important, the reason for trying something different is to see if different settings can help with your sleep disruption, so we want to track how you feel. So far, it appears your original titration was well-done. The automatic ASV mode is raising EPAP pressure to the 7.0 that you were using, and pressures above EPAP 8.0 do not appear beneficial. You seem to do better in ASVauto with an EPAP range of 5.0 to 8.0, and PS min 4.0 to 15.0.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will reset the machine as you suggest and see what happens tonight.
I just don't know what happened after two hours of good rest and then all of a sudden the pressure shot up and was so strong that it caused major leaks. Could something wrong with my mask fitting have caused that or was the machine just responding to events starting, and if so, why wouldn't they have been throughout the night instead of suddenly starting? I was not fully asleep during those last two hours and remember hearing and feeling the pressure rise. Thanks so much for all the help. It really means a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=10283]I have changed my setting to this, is that correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks good! Sleep well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Haley,

I will defer to the eminently more qualified Sleeprider for suggestions on your settings. He has helped me, so much!

One more thought that may be applicable.

As a ResMed ASV user, I would add that it is a common experience when first starting these devices users find the machines sometimes go out of control, forcing way too much pressure. Is this is what's happening with you?

If so, we ASV users on the forum use "the blowback" technique, where a user exhales forcefully several times into the mask until the machine calms down, as the immediate fix for the problem of out-of-control pressure.

It is not an unusual thing to happen. I (and other ASV users here) often warn people starting ResMed ASV to expect it will happen and to counter-attack with "blowback."

Despite this annoying initial quirk in the device, it is in all other respects a technological marvel. Congratulations.

And if what you are having is this common issue, it passes.

Are you a new user?

For me (and I believe everyone else) the initial tendency of the ASV is solved by employing "blowback."

The need to "blowback" dissipates pretty quickly. It feels as if the machine learns from the user.

All of this is aside from any leak issues and the optimization of settings, where I leave you in good hands.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
I have only been on the machine for about four weeks.  I think that is exactly what happened.  I kept wondering what the machine thought it was fighting and it was if we were in a war to see who could last the longest.  Well that damn machine won and I had to remove my mask at 2:00.  All was very quite and going extremely well for two hours and then I felt and heard the pressure as if the machine had had enough of everything being so quite and was out to get me.

Thanks so much for the tip.  If it happens again I will be prepared.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2019, 07:33 PM)Haley Wrote: I have only been on the machine for about four weeks.  I think that is exactly what happened.  I kept wondering what the machine thought it was fighting and it was if we were in a war to see who could last the longest.  Well that damn machine won and I had to remove my mask at 2:00.  All was very quite and going extremely well for two hours and then I felt and heard the pressure as if the machine had had enough of everything being so quite and was out to get me.

Thanks so much for the tip.  If it happens again I will be prepared.

It is a strange phenomenon. But very common.

Use "blowback" and you will see the machine settle down. After a while, these "power struggles" subside. It is a quirk of ResMed ASVs. 

It is well worth enduring the odd initial tendency to go pressure-crazy, as these are brilliant machines. Why they do this initially is strange to me.

Meanwhile, work on optimizing pressures and leaks.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Bill.  I am working on it as hard as I can.  When the clinic first switched me from a CPAP because of all the Centrals they gave me the Resmed ASV 9 to borrow.  For 10 days I had an AHI of 0 and no recorded snores.  Once I got the 10 my AHI fluctuated from 6 to 20 and the snore graph showed multiple snores.  I am still trying trying to figure out the snores that are recorded.  My boyfriend says I definitely have not been snoring.  The only thing I can think of is the fact that I talk in my sleep and maybe the vibration of the talking through my mask is flagged as a snore.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep trying Haley, never give up.
Small tweaks sometimes makes a huge difference but sometimes upset the apple cart.
However, apart from the bad night your doing fine, don't get to hung up on numbers, if you feel good, that is the main thing.
As long as things look good and you feel fine you're doing well.

Have a good night and sleep well.  Smile
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 449 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 260 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 421 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  Mask driving me crazy phoebesalva 8 513 01-08-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: phoebesalva
  [Pressure] A few weeks in, how can I fine tune my settings? Keicereal 5 371 12-18-2023, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Keicereal
  BoxcarPete: An Adventure in Fine-Tuning BoxcarPete 32 1,551 12-06-2023, 12:15 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Low RDI but still feeling tired... crazy tidal volume psreiser 2 550 10-12-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: psreiser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.