Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Allergic reaction [to silicone in mask?]
Question 
Allergic reaction [to silicone in mask?]
It's now just over a month of me starting.
My face has started itching and got to the point of burning.
Am I possibly allergic to the material that my full face mask is made of. (Silicone, I think)
Has anyone had this problem before?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Allergic reaction
I have an issue with my nose burning when I use the P10 nasal pillows mask, but I just started using a FFM that also has silicone cushions and so far it hasn't bothered me.
RedBarron

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ because it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, first for the Jew, and also for the Greek [Gentile]." Romans 1:16 CSB
Post Reply Post Reply
i would suggest trying a mask liner from padacheek Supplier #31
Post Reply Post Reply
What are you cleaning the mask with?

The best thing to use is a mild hand soap, I just lather up my hands with a bar of bath soap and use that to clean my mask with.

I initially had problems with skin irritation when cleaning the mask with antiseptic wipes or other antibacterial cleaning agents.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Jas,

I did not know about the liner.
I will see if I can get this product in South Africa......somehow doubt it.

Hi Ockrocket,

Thanks for your advice.
I am using a dishwashing liquid which I think could also be causing a problem.
Will give the mild soap a try.

Cheers
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2018, 08:57 AM)Cliffh Wrote: I did not know about the liner.
I will see if I can get this product in South Africa......somehow doubt it.

There seem to be dozens of web pages with instructions, patterns, images, videos, etc. for do-it-yourself mask liners, including some old posts here on AB. I tried a few general web searches just now, and it turns out that including "diy" in the search terms (along with "cpap" to exclude other types of mask) helps a lot. That got tons of hits.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have always used Dawn blue dishwashing detergent and had excellent results. It comes highly recommended from many sources. It is not antibacterial or anti microbial wish everyone I have ever heard says to stay away from those.
RedBarron

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ because it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, first for the Jew, and also for the Greek [Gentile]." Romans 1:16 CSB
Post Reply Post Reply
If you think you have a silicon allergy, try a cloth mask. Circadian is the only one I know well. Not all DMEs carry them, so you may have to buy out of pocket from an online supplier, which is what I did. While I don't have an allergy, I get sinus problems that result in facial swelling and these things work great. Yeah, leaking is sometimes a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Allergic reaction [to silicone in mask?]
I have this issue with the part of the P10 that touches my nostrils. The skin is perpetually peeling. People think I have buggers, but it's dead skin (with sensitive skin underneath it).

I do have sensitive skin, in addition to a latex allergy. I think I'm allergic to the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Allergic reaction [to silicone in mask?]
Thanks Fats
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] Negative/Adverse Reaction to BiPAP Need Help zuriaki 21 1,464 09-18-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Modifying DREAMWEAR silicone nasal pillow mask xaid 2 716 07-01-2023, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
  P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? Snorzz 11 2,819 05-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: maxquaas
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  best way to clean the silicone on mask cushions? cberistain 9 1,297 11-26-2022, 06:43 PM
Last Post: DaveCar
  [Philips Recall] Replacement device with silicone based foam mw1655 0 579 10-14-2022, 05:18 AM
Last Post: mw1655
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,211 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.