Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: installed
CPAP Pressure: 6.0 - 10.0 / EPR 2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Allergies and sleep apnea
Hi all Thanks,

After hearing about all flow limit and how to correct it, I thought I would ask how this might effect apneas?

I am allergic to cats and I have one. I asked the allergist about it and he said SA effects an entirely different part of the airway. My GP says it is significant. Which is it. I plan on starting shots either way.

So far the therapy "blows away" any congestion but does effect anything else.

Anyone have better experiences.

HuhDont-knowI am an accountant so any advice given here is not medical. If I give any financial advice, you can take it to the bank. However, you will have a hard time cashing it in. Okay
05-25-2016 06:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
kwhenrykerr Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation Auto, AirSense 10 Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: Philips, AirSense 10
CPAP Pressure: 12-20

Other Comments: 2L added oxygen with CMS50F to check usage

Sex: Male

RE: Allergies and sleep apnea
I am starting shots it two weeks. I will try to post a reply. Sleep-wellSleep-well

Just my personal opinion. My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact. Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel. Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
05-25-2016 07:00 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Allergies and sleep apnea
Technically, the allergist is right. And so is your GP.

An apnea event is the closing of the airway in the throat, ceasing all breathing. The closing happens because the muscles relax in our sleep (they are voluntary muscles), additional material (ie fat) helps pull them down. As they relax/begin the collapse, they vibrate in the breeze, causing snoring. As the collapsing continues, the airway is narrowed further and the flow is decreased. This is a hypopnea. Finally the collapse happens (muscle, fat, regular tissues) and the springy airway is closed.

I am going to assume your allergy is nasal. The nasal passages get irritated and swell. Add in snot phlegm, and the airway can become blocked. Notice it is not collapsed, but blocked. And you can still open your mouth and breathe. Hence it is not an apnea event.

However, those nasal tissues are connected to the same tissues involved in apnea events. Those irritants and stuff are going down the back and into your throat. If an allergy is bad enough, the swelling and irritation can extend to the back of your throat and add to the problem.

Here, I took a photo of something on my allergist's wall a while back:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid134603 It shows how interconnected it all is.

Anaphylaxis allergy reaction is when that swelling happens in the throat and cuts off the airway. It is not a wonderful feeling.

So...as long as your stuffiness (swelling, irritation) is limited to your nose, AND you use a full face mask, you should be just fine. During allergy season (right now), I actually go back to my nasal pillows when I am at my stuffiest. I have found that the direct air pressure from the nasal pillows pushes the crap out of the way and keeps my nose clearer. The humidification gets right to where I need it. I blow my nose and use a nasal rinse first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

But if you experience throat issues too, keep an eye on your data. As long as you are sleeping well and the AHI stays below 5, all is good.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-26-2016 11:53 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Angry [News] DANGER OF UNDIAGNOSED SLEEP APNEA srlevine1 7 550 11-21-2016 03:26 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Central Sleep Apnea? wayne99 8 763 11-20-2016 06:39 AM
Last Post: wayne99
  Sleep Apnea Alphabet Soup ladytimes 2 213 11-13-2016 02:16 PM
Last Post: ladytimes
  [News] Vitamin D - possible help for sleep apnea patients? ApneaNews 46 14,028 10-28-2016 05:01 PM
Last Post: scotty
  Sleep Apnea Surgery zeeser 5 593 10-26-2016 02:42 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  Ordered a Auto CPAP / Was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea jakthebomb 15 813 10-18-2016 08:00 AM
Last Post: southerndoc
Sad [Diagnosis] Negative for Sleep Apnea? jakthebomb 19 1,287 10-13-2016 03:28 PM
Last Post: jakthebomb