Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Almost 2 months in...Newbie questions
Almost 2 months in...Newbie questions
First off, I'd like to say how much I appreciate this board, it's been a great help and hopefully one day I can help people who are new to sleep apnea. After being diagnosed with sleep apnea I spent an entire weekend reading this board. 
I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, their terms, I would say more middle of the road having just over 40 OA an hour during REM sleep when I was able to make it to REM. Anyway, after my titration study they told me I needed 8.2cmH20. A friend of mine had an extra ResMed S9 Elite he let me borrow and I found a new mask on CL which is still the Amara View I still use today. I programed his S9 to 8.2 and starting using it with a new data card so I could review my data as I'm an Analyst and a bit of a data freak. After a week or two I was able to achieve sub 1.0 AHI and was feeling great, probably the best I have felt in 10-12 years. Three weeks ago, I was finally able to get into my medical equipment provider and they supplied me with a DreamStation APAP that seems to have all the bells and whistles. The problem is I am lucky to get a sub 2.0 AHI and I am normally closer to 3.0 and feel like a zombie again. Has anyone had issues like this with a new machine?

Thanks, 
Jake 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Almost 2 months in...Newbie questions
Have you downloaded sleepyhead yet? If not the link is down below. 

After you download follow the links below to learn how to post data here.

The wise ones here can help you much better with information to work with.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I downloaded Sleepy Head before I even had a machine so I could check it out. I have been reading the board since I learned about my Apnea but this is my first time posting, after I post a few more times I should be able to post pictures of the data.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to post now just put a space in the address. Example ht tp:\\www.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Moving from a Resmed to a Philips can be harder than you might think. Particularly the exhale relief on a Philips (CFlex or AFlex) is a momentary pressure relief at inspiration/expiration transition, while the Resmed gives a true bilevel pressure reduction of up to 3.0 cm through the entire exhale. I think you'd really like the Resmed Aircurve 10 Autoset on Amazon for $440. Honestly after years of dealing with this issue, i tried to give Philips a fair shake, but your story of higher AHI sounds typical. In terms of auto algorithms, the Philips is slow to increase pressure and fast to drop it. That leaves most people with a lot of hypopnea, even when pressures are relatively optimized. OTOH the Resmed increases pressure much faster and keeps it higher. It sounds like a sales pitch, but I'll never go back.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Mr Farrell. Wink
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jake S,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2017, 09:56 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: In terms of auto algorithms, the Philips is slow to increase pressure and fast to drop it.  That leaves most people with a lot of hypopnea, even when pressures are relatively optimized.  

Looking at my numbers, after using the DreamStation, my hypopnea numbers is what has driven up my AHI. The pressures seem to be all over the place night over night. When I first got the machine they had it set on AFLEX, I changed it to CFLEX on the lowest setting and I think I will turn it off completely. When I used the ResMed I turned the EPR off after the first week.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 152 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 381 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 269 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 285 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.