Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Almost divorced over CPAP
RE: Almost divorced over CPAP
Hi SassySW,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Do you think he would be opened to joining the forum and read some of the many helpful posts here? It would be helpful to him if he were, so he could learn more about his sleep apnea..
I wish you good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you need.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

[/quote]
Hi, thanks for the reply. I updated his settings in my profile. We are on the second machine and this one is about two years old I think. I will definitely ask about how he feels before he takes it off. Could there be a chance this is a Central apnea instead of or in addition to an obstructive one?
[/quote]

when did he have his last sleep study? There is a chance that several things are causing the problem. More info is needed to see if we can suggest things for you.

I would start with looking at his last sleep study (hopefully a recent one), ask him what happens before he rips his mask off, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2015, 04:18 PM)SassySW Wrote: [quote='me50' pid='122855' dateline='1437412500']
[quote='SassySW' pid='122848' dateline='1437410489']
We are on the second machine and this one is about two years old I think. I will definitely ask about how he feels before he takes it off. Could there be a chance this is a Central apnea instead of or in addition to an obstructive one?

On the bottom of the CPAP blower unit (be sure water is out of humidifier), is a number. In recent years, the CPAP Plus would be a Philips Respironics CPAP Plus CFlex model 250 or 260. Neither one produces useful therapy data or detects centrals. In order to have therapy data, you need at least the PRS1 Pro HS460, or PRS1 HS560 Auto. The machine he has is pretty useless for identifying or quantifying his ongoing problems, and gives him no relief from constant pressure. If you can afford it, I'd just go buy an Auto CPAP. I see them new with humidifier for $595 or open box new for less, from Supplier #2 at the top of the forum.

The cheapest CPAP with no data is a common problem when patients don't know any better when equipment is dispensed. The newest auto models can use lower pressure and automatically adjust to meet his needs, and will record respiratory events and other issues that can help explain why there is a problem. Without that data, you're flying blind, and your husband just gets the blame as a non compliant patient.

Be sure to ask him to request copies of his sleep study and prescription. You will need the prescription for replacement supplies or a new CPAP/APAP. If you have good insurance, they might authorize a new machine, but unlikely if the 2-year old unit was purchased through insurance.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
hi. I use a full face mask, too.

the things that annoy me enough take my mask off, besides the often mentioned "feel starved for air" feeling are (in order of frequency and annoyance level):

- nose or facial itching, contact sensitivity
- feeling stuffed up not able to breathe through nose
- inexplicable feeling of discomfort
- mask movement as pressure shifts occur in treatment alerts me
- mask flutter noise
- oily or dirty face that I now recall I chose to ignore now is affecting seal or skin sensitivity
- spouse makes a comment I cannot respond to
- mask strap contact or pressure tightness on head

If you mention some real life examples of typical annoyances, maybe he will become more aware of how his experiences are alike or different. That can become a springboard for conversation of what support you can provide, if any.

When sleep apnea is not treated, the affects continue to plague the patient. Anger is only one of the serious symptoms that continues to drive the quality of his life downward. Believe me, his anger make him frustrated/confused, too. I know this is going to sound silly, but his anger may also be making him angry! He knows he shouldn't be this way. [I speak from first hand knowledge.] He needs to know that nearly all patients notice an incredible reduction of anger, confusion, bewilderment, stress, depression, weakness, and soreness when properly treated [right pressure applied to reduce apnea, and right amount of sleep].

Agree with other posts on getting the best gear to attack this. I hope you already have a better model, and that data is available. If so, you will be able to tell whether spouse is having clear airway apneas (sometimes referred to as central apneas).

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2015, 07:46 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The machine he has is pretty useless for identifying or quantifying his ongoing problems, and gives him no relief from constant pressure. If you can afford it, I'd just go buy an Auto CPAP. I see them new with humidifier for $595 or open box new for less, from Supplier #2 at the top of the forum.

Let's wait for Sassy to tell us which model it is before racing off to buy a new machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2015, 07:26 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(07-20-2015, 07:46 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The machine he has is pretty useless for identifying or quantifying his ongoing problems, and gives him no relief from constant pressure. If you can afford it, I'd just go buy an Auto CPAP. I see them new with humidifier for $595 or open box new for less, from Supplier #2 at the top of the forum.

Let's wait for Sassy to tell us which model it is before racing off to buy a new machine.

I didn't pull this out of thin air. She added "Remstar Plus" to her profile, and in post #9 said it was updated two years ago. That makes it most likely a HS260 or possibly a 250. I'll stand by what I said. They own a brick.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think he is using a different software or maybe none at all. If he has a PR machine, he can't use Resmed software. Maybe they should import the data in a program like SleepyHead if the machine he has is data capable (I know nothing about PR machines).
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, thanks for all of the replies. I checked the bottom and it is a 260P. My husband made an appointment for another sleep study in two weeks. I hope we get some new and useful information. He knows he's changed and it bothers him very much. There have been several emotional meltdowns in the past year over this. Thank you so much for trying to help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Wow, thanks for all of the replies. I checked the bottom and it is a 260P.

The 260 is a non data machine , only compliance info nothing useful to help find out whats going on in his sleep. Hope he finds out what is going on at his new sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2015, 08:13 PM)SassySW Wrote: Wow, thanks for all of the replies. I checked the bottom and it is a 260P. My husband made an appointment for another sleep study in two weeks. I hope we get some new and useful information. He knows he's changed and it bothers him very much. There have been several emotional meltdowns in the past year over this. Thank you so much for trying to help!

Sassy, for people that have had extremely difficult problems adapting to CPAP therapy, a bilevel device like the one I use can make all the difference. It offers enough pressure support during inhale to feel good and prevent apnea, and it offers low pressure during exhale for comfort. An auto CPAP maintains the pressure needed to prevent apnea, and eases off when the pressure is not needed. Both are much better solutions that the fixed pressure, no-data brick he uses now.

We won't know the problems he is having with the current machine, because it won't tell us. I hope the new study turns up some answers, and for heaven's sake, keep in touch so we can coach you if a new machine is authorized.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.