Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Almost new user, gotta buy something
RE: Almost new user, gotta buy something
(04-02-2015, 08:29 PM)clovett Wrote: Thanks for all the advice guys. I've cleaned the unit and let everything dry for 24 hours so tonight I will give it a shot and we will see how it works out. I'm going to try the full face Resmed Quattro Air mask first.

Thanks
Hi clovett,
Good luck with your new mask and machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck with your therapy. Get some free software so you can see what the doctor sees.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 10:37 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: Good luck with your therapy. Get some free software so you can see what the doctor sees.

I loaded up the software last night and will use it to analyze my 2 hours of sleep with the mask on last night. I woke up and the pressure was high enough to blow my mask seal so I just shut it down and will analyze the situation by loading up my SD information.

BUT I do have a question. I got paranoia when I awoke as I realized I don't know how the exhaled air gets out. I had a fear of just breathing the same air over and over.

How does that work?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 12:15 PM)clovett Wrote: BUT I do have a question. I got paranoia when I awoke as I realized I don't know how the exhaled air gets out. I had a fear of just breathing the same air over and over.

How does that work?

Fire up the machine with the mask on. You'll find there's a stream of air coming out of a bunch of small holes on the mask. The holes are sized such that enough air leaks out to flush out the CO2 and allow new O2 to come in.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 12:15 PM)clovett Wrote: I woke up and the pressure was high enough to blow my mask seal so I just shut it down and will analyze the situation by loading up my SD information.

Hi clovett,

Use the Mask Fit feature to adjust the straps barely tight enough to seal when the pressure is high. I think how to use the Mask Fit feature is explained in the clinician guide (set-up manual).

Make sure the mask straps are evenly adjusted on the right side versus the left.

If there are four mask straps to adjust, make sure the top two are adjusted in length to match each other. Separately, make sure the bottom two straps are adjusted in length to match each other.

Getting the mask to seal, and finding a mask which fits our face and preferences, may be the hardest part of CPAP therapy to get right.

So we need to be patient, and persevering.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok so three nights the best one being last night. I am starting to zero in on my settings.

First night two hours

I used the Quattro Air full mask and did two hours. I had the settings for 6lb min and 12lb max just to see what would happen. At least twice my mask lost seal due to high pressure. My nose was completely dried out.

Second night 1 hour

I dropped the pressure to 6.4lb min and 9.6lb max due to my range for the first night. I had not setup the humidifier and set it for the standard at 3 with a temp of 80 degrees. After an hour I was uncomfortable with my exhale being too warm. I took the mask off and went to sleep.

Third night 5 hours

I changed from the Resmed Quattro Air to the N10 nasal mask. I was worried that I would breathe through my mouth but I was having issues with attempting to breathe through my mouth with the full face and when the air puffed out my cheeks. The N10 worked great. I also realized that I like to sleep in cooler temps so I dropped the temp of the water down to 65 degrees which should give me room temp water. I bumped the humidity setting from a 3 to a 4. I also turned the ramp off. I would not have awakened at all if my wife had not turned the bathroom light on at 5am. I was so excited to check my data in Sleepyhead only to find that I FORGOT TO PUT IN THE SD CARD. But it's back in now and I will check it tomorrow.

Thanks again guys. My wife thought I was dead because she couldn't hear me snoring.
Post Reply Post Reply
With pressures that low the mask should not be blowing off your face. Perhaps the straps are too loose.

When you put the SD card in the machine will write the missing night's data to the card. At least I think it works that way.

You need to focus on wearing the mask all the time you're sleeping. And check the leak rate using the software.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Open the humidifier door when you take out your SD card and don't close it until you put the card back. That way, if you forget to put the card in, you'll get a reminder.
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2015, 08:18 PM)Sleepster Wrote: When you put the SD card in the machine will write the missing night's data to the card. At least I think it works that way.

It will only put back the "compliance" data, i.e. on/off hours.

Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2015, 10:27 PM)archangle Wrote: Open the humidifier door when you take out your SD card and don't close it until you put the card back. That way, if you forget to put the card in, you'll get a reminder.

That's the memory aid I use to remember to refill the water tank. In the morning I take the water tank out, empty it and then rinse and let it dry. I have to remember to fill it back up again at night, so if I leave the door open that's my reminder.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gotta love my Sleep Doctor SaldusMiegas 12 1,193 11-11-2022, 04:57 PM
Last Post: narual
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Gotta keep an eye on the DME supplier Big Guy 8 1,261 12-18-2019, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Osiris357
  Gotta sleep on my side... pillow? Palmtrees 20 2,957 09-16-2019, 03:49 PM
Last Post: TheDuke
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,155 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.