Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Almost new user, gotta buy something
Almost new user, gotta buy something
I just got my sleep study results and will be getting an autoset CPAP. I'm sure everyone here has already gone through this experience but it still is one of the weirdest things I've ever encountered.

The sleep study Oh-jeez

Since I have a recessed jaw it took the ENT about 3 seconds to look at me and declared to his assistant "When I see a jaw like that I say Snore, Snore, Snore." Classic obstruction and he put his hand out for a fee. They recommended a full sleep study for $1800. I told them I would do a home sleep study due to obstruction and asked how much it would be. They said don't worry your insurance will cover it. I checked and it won't even come close to my deductable. They finally said it would be $750. I opted, against their advice, for a mail at home sleep study for $250. You should have heard the lamenting. The sleep study came back and they say I need an auto CPAP. Imagine that.

The setup

Now comes the other part. They kick me to a local company that calls me and says they are out of network but can still get me a "cpap machine" if I want to go for a 3K deductable. Even if I went in network it would still cost me more for the machine I want than if I bought it from one of the suppliers recommended by this board. I am looking at either a Resmed S9 autoset or an S10 autoset. Then I get a call from my Dr saying that he wants to look over the data collected in the first month and recommend a pressure setting. I'm like, isn't it an AUTO CPAP? Like he's just going to give me the pressure setting the machine already calculated? Huhsign

So now I have a decision. I can buy a new Resmed S9 Auto or a new Resmed S10 auto with humidifier. OR I can get an almost new S9 Auto from someone who purchased and had bariatric surgery and can't use the machine. The S9 has less than 50 hours on it and they have the receipt showing it's new along with a carrying case and three masks (now sure I would use the masks). Since they do rent these I don't have a big issue cleaning / sanitizing the machine itself. I can get that full setup for $450. New would be about $1100 but you guys know that already.

Anyway Thanks for any thoughts on the matter. Waiting on responses. Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Almost new user, gotta buy something
For the money, the S9 will probably do everything the A10 will do, and save you a few hundred.

Unless you want to go with a "for her" version of the A10 which can detect and record RERA's. Not sure that feature is worth the big difference in $'s though (compared to the deal you're getting on the used S9).
Adding a humidifier later (if needed) to the S9 probably closes the gap a little.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2015, 09:10 AM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: For the money, the S9 will probably do everything the A10 will do, and save you a few hundred.

Unless you want to go with a "for her" version of the A10 which can detect and record RERA's. Not sure that feature is worth the big difference in $'s though (compared to the deal you're getting on the used S9).
Adding a humidifier later (if needed) to the S9 probably closes the gap a little.

Sorry forgot to say that the S9 with 50 hours on it has a humidifier also
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi clovett,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sounds like a good deal on the almost new S9AutoSet.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you start your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2015, 08:44 AM)clovett Wrote: Now comes the other part. They kick me to a local company that calls me and says they are out of network but can still get me a "cpap machine" if I want to go for a 3K deductable. Even if I went in network it would still cost me more for the machine I want than if I bought it from one of the suppliers recommended by this board. I am looking at either a Resmed S9 autoset or an S10 autoset. Then I get a call from my Dr saying that he wants to look over the data collected in the first month and recommend a pressure setting. I'm like, isn't it an AUTO CPAP? Like he's just going to give me the pressure setting the machine already calculated? Huhsign

Check with your insurance company for local in-network DME's. In-network price will be much lower than list price. It may or may not end up cheaper over all.

A local DME does sometimes provide some degree of support, especially for things like masks and repairs.

Be careful when considering the deductible. If you hit your deductible during the year, you basically get some of your deductible back through lower medical bills later in the year.

Don't forget to consider the cost of a new mask, replacement masks, etc. Watch the DME on bogus separate charges for humidifier, water tank, mask, headgear, etc.

$300 is a more reasonable price for a used S9, but $450 isn't too bad.

You DO need to set a proper pressure range, even with an APAP. It's a good thing the doctor wants to check it.

If the minimum pressure is too low, you can end up feeling suffocated before it ramps up, and may have apneas because it adjusts upward slowly. If you set the minimum pressure too high, you suffer from the problems of too high pressure.

Sometimes an APAP will "run away" and go to a too high pressure, and you need to limit the maximum pressure.

Sometimes, you will develop central apnea with pressure and may need to limit the pressure or even go to more complicated machine, such as an ASV.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can't go wrong with the S9. If you don't know the seller, I'd ask to look at the total run time on the machine. It can be found in the Information->Service menu. To access this menu, with power to the S9, look at the top of it. You will see a large rotary button to the right of the display. Press the Info button (10 O'clock position to the knob). Using the rotary knob, scroll down to the Service menu (Wrench Icon on the left side of the display). You will see the Run Hrs.

Another consideration for either machine is to consider a heated hose (Climateline - trade name). It will aide in reducing the rainout tendency that comes with using a humidifier.

Good Luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2015, 10:20 AM)sgearhart Wrote: You can't go wrong with the S9. If you don't know the seller, I'd ask to look at the total run time on the machine. It can be found in the Information->Service menu. To access this menu, with power to the S9, look at the top of it. You will see a large rotary button to the right of the display. Press the Info button (10 O'clock position to the knob). Using the rotary knob, scroll down to the Service menu (Wrench Icon on the left side of the display). You will see the Run Hrs.

Another consideration for either machine is to consider a heated hose (Climateline - trade name). It will aide in reducing the rainout tendency that comes with using a humidifier.

Good Luck!

Thanks, great information. I would ask if there is any way a regualr person could alter the amount of hours on a machine? As in what I see in that menu is pretty much guaranteed to be correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2015, 08:44 AM)clovett Wrote: Then I get a call from my Dr saying that he wants to look over the data collected in the first month and recommend a pressure setting.

I would make that appointment. He may be able to advise you about the pressure range. There's a lot more to it than just letting the machine pick the right pressure for you.

Quote:I can get an almost new S9 Auto from someone who purchased and had bariatric surgery and can't use the machine.

Check with your insurance company and see if they can recommend a provider. Tell them what's going on and see what they say. It can't hurt to ask. You may be able to get a better deal that way.

For example, if you encounter problems with the therapy and you need a different machine, your insurance company has a contract with the provider that forces them to take the machine back and provide the required upgrade.

As far as I know, there's no way to reset the blower hours on the machine, so the number you see on the screen should be reliable. If you get that machine reset it before you use it. That will clear all the old data so it doesn't get mixed in with your data. These machines collect a lot of data that can be used to tweak your therapy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2015, 12:24 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I would make that appointment. He may be able to advise you about the pressure range. There's a lot more to it than just letting the machine pick the right pressure for you.

I can see that. The entire experience has me a little on edge due to some of the recommendations already made.

Quote:Check with your insurance company and see if they can recommend a provider. Tell them what's going on and see what they say. It can't hurt to ask. You may be able to get a better deal that way.

For example, if you encounter problems with the therapy and you need a different machine, your insurance company has a contract with the provider that forces them to take the machine back and provide the required upgrade.

True but at what cost? I checked and just for the Resmed S10 auto both in network and out of network want $1800 just for the machine itself. That would be double the price just in case I need some assistance, which I may not. From what I can see with the type of blockage I have an auto CPAP is required. You appear to have been on this board for some time so I would ask you. How many times on this board has someone received an auto CPAP for straight recessed jaw blockage and had to get a totally different machine that is not a CPAP? What are my odds?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2015, 11:55 AM)clovett Wrote: Thanks, great information. I would ask if there is any way a regualr person could alter the amount of hours on a machine?

No, the machine run hours cannot be reset.

(04-01-2015, 12:58 PM)clovett Wrote: How many times on this board has someone received an auto CPAP for straight recessed jaw blockage and had to get a totally different machine that is not a CPAP? What are my odds?

Darned if I know about that one. I think that's a question for the Doc. Then again, if it's a "try it and see" situation, then the used S9 would make good sense to me.

Actually, the used S9 makes good sense to me regardless, IF you have in your possession a prescription that will let you buy masks and other supplies from on-line or other vendors. You can get it done without a prescription, but it's much easier with one.

I think you mentioned the Doc has an idea about what pressure to start you at. If it were me, I would set the machine to "Auto," with a minimum just a point or two lower than his idea of a good time, and a maximum of 4 or 5 points higher. You can decide about Ramp time, how much, or whether or not to use it at all. Same thing for EPR.

It would be nice if you were all tucked in comfy like with a sleep doc and a good DME. But if that's going to cost you a few grand, just so you can find out if CPAP therapy can address your issues?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gotta love my Sleep Doctor SaldusMiegas 12 1,193 11-11-2022, 04:57 PM
Last Post: narual
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Gotta keep an eye on the DME supplier Big Guy 8 1,261 12-18-2019, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Osiris357
  Gotta sleep on my side... pillow? Palmtrees 20 2,957 09-16-2019, 03:49 PM
Last Post: TheDuke
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,155 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.