Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Almost there!
Almost there!
Wow...I found the Aloha and it has been great. I watched the review and decided to take one last shot at CPAP. It fit perfectly without any adjustments. It stays put no matter if I sleep on my back or side and it doesn't leak. BUT (and you saw this coming) after sleeping with it the last two nights I have developed a sore throat and very irritated nasal passage. What can I do? My pressure is 10 and my humidity is set to auto. (I have the airsense 10 for her). I believe at auto the humidity stays at 85 percent and the line temp is 80. I am a nose breather and always have been. If I can come up with a solution for this I have hit a home run!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Almost there!
We have seen this problem solved before. As long as you are not mouth breathing/leaking turn your humidification to manual and increase the humidification. I can not guide you much since my S9 works a little differently.

Raising the humidity should help and since your nose is getting irritated that would indicate to me that this is not a mouth breathing/leaking problem. Especially so if your mouth is not getting dried out.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You can try a lansinoh cream or nasal gel for nasal irritation.

It could be a coincidence that you have a sore throat same time as trying a new mask, but you can try Biotene for dry mouth before bed.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's what I thought PaytonA. My mouth never dried out. I just got a sore throat and irritated nose. Ugh! I'm afraid to raise my humidity too much because I'm thinking that my humidifier tank may run dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
there should be plenty of water, just fill it to the line every night. The tank will be large enough for one night at any setting, silly for them to have done otherwise
Post Reply Post Reply
rockncountry, the Aloha saved me too, three years ago when I started, and I haven't looked for another mask since.

I agree with PaytonA about putting your climate control in "Manual" and tweaking temp and humidification until you find your sweet spot.

Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder what I should start with. The humidity in my house is between 35 and 40 percent during the summer. I wonder if I need to start in the middle and then go up or down. When do I know if I have too much or too little? Thanks guys. I'd have already given up if not for the support...and the Aloha!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2015, 02:38 PM)rockncountry101 Wrote: I wonder what I should start with. The humidity in my house is between 35 and 40 percent during the summer. I wonder if I need to start in the middle and then go up or down. When do I know if I have too much or too little? Thanks guys. I'd have already given up if not for the support...and the Aloha!

It's pretty easy, but not always fast. If you feel like your not getting enough air, then you went the wrong way. One step at a time so you don't overshoot. remember that some of these things are related, you may find your best humidity setting and then change the temperature, discovering that there is a better humidity setting at THAT temperature.

This is where I am at in this quest, just for an idea of things that can be changed:
1. Humidity off-I tried 4,5,6,3,2,1 to get to off
2. water tank dry-I tried with humidity off and just cool water in the tank and discovered that dry was best for now
3.ramp auto-I am sensitive to exhaling into pressure so I keep it low until I am asleep
4.pre-ramp pressure of 6- the default of 4 was way to low for me and I felt like I was not getting enough air. this was easy just set it and try it for 30-60 seconds, you will know.
5.ERP 3-this is in the clinicians menu and gives a lower pressure when I exhale

my therapy pressure is 8-14, FYI
Post Reply Post Reply
maybe start at 78 or somewhere around there and adjust according to whether you still have the dry nose/sore throat. Also, Ayr nasal gel works great and so does coconut oil for the inside of your nose. You will know when you get there because your nose won't feel like it does right now.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.