Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aloha nasal pillow user, looking for something else
RE: Aloha nasal pillow user, looking for something else
I'm a new user here and after trying a myriad of Resmed masks (P10 included) I think I've settled on the P30i. Pretty comfy, love the hose on the top and the headgear isn't too restrictive in my opinion.

Haven't tried the Brevida so I'm curious to see which you prefer!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm back! I decided to give the P30i a long trial run. Here's my thoughts after two weeks:

Pros: it fits well and I've had few problems with leaks. The hose attachment keeps it out of the way, and the exhaust port at the top of the headgear means I don't have to worry about which way the exhaust is pointing. The swivel joint works well; it turns when I roll over, and I haven't had any issues with it binding. It's been nice to not wake up tangled up in with the hose. Using the humidifier, I was afraid I'd have issues with condensation, but that hasn't happened.

Cons: It's noisy. Not that the headgear itself makes a lot of noise, but it seems to amplify both the machine noise and the sound of my own breathing. It took me a few nights to get used to that. (I run the machine in a nightstand drawer that is filled with clothes. It really muffles the sound of the machine, so I'm not used to hearing it.)

I'm starting with the Brevida tonight. I've already fitted it and spent a few minutes breathing through it. I suspect I won't have as much trouble getting used to it, since it's basically a better version of the Aloha design. We'll see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the helpful revieew, and good luck with the Brevida. About the nightstand drawer: you have a way for fresh air from the room to be drawn into the machine, right?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2021, 02:07 PM)cornutt Wrote: I decided to give the P30i a long trial run.
It's noisy.  Not that the headgear itself makes a lot of noise, but it seems to amplify both the machine noise and the sound of my own breathing.  
Something I noticed with the P30i -- it is noticeably quieter with "Large" pillows than with "Medium" pillows.  I'm between sizes, so Medium and Large both work comfortably and seal well, but I swear the Large are quieter.  Perhaps it's the diameter of the openings, i.e., the Large openings provide lower air velocity (particularly on inhale) for the same amount of flow.  Or maybe it's my imagination, lol.  
Also -- Where the side tubes are in relation to your ears makes a difference.  The "Small" headgear (tubes sit further forward, away from ears and towards face) is quieter for me than the "Standard" headgear.   Again, I'm between sizes -- so both fit me comfortably, and the Small puts the tubes an inch or so further away from my ears which makes it seem quieter.

I also wear a "cap" with chin strap, so that might make it a little quieter as well since it prevents part of the tubes from touching my head.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2021, 06:56 PM)ScottZZZ Wrote: Something I noticed with the P30i -- it is noticeably quieter with "Large" pillows than with "Medium" pillow

I might give that a try.  Thanks for the tips.

Well, I gave up on the Brevida.  There are things I like about it: The headgear is easy to adjust, and a lot more comfortable than the Aloha headgear.  It's quieter than the P30i.  The exhaust diffuser works surprisingly well -- I can only feel the exhaust within an inch or so of it.  But: I can not get the darn thing to stop leaking.  I have to put it on just so, and even then, every time I move, it starts leaking and I have to adjust it again.  To minimize leaks, I have to tighten the headgear to the point where it gives me a headache, and even that doesn't completely stop the leaking.  I tried both the medium and large nose piece, with no success either way.  I figured maybe it just needed to be broken in a bit, but after a week with it, I was still having problems, and the tight headgear was making my nose sore.  Also, the hose elbow joint sometimes gets stuck, and then the hose winds up pulling on it because it's at a weird angle.  

So I've settled on the P30i.  As I've used it, I've gotten more accustomed to the noise. Thanks for everyone's input.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oddly enough, I found using hose covers reduced noise significantly. I don't know if that's something that you've tried. I bring mine up to the point where the mask joins, being careful not to block the vents, and that works for me. Personally, I found the P30i quieter than the P10, but then I also use earplugs because my CPAP is a whisper compared to the oxygen concentrator.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same here, Ratchick. And I use an eight foot cover on my six foot hose, scrunched up, which seems to provide extra insulation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wonderful posts.
I *think* I need to change masks.

I want to consider both the P30i and the Brevida mentioned here.

I've had terrible results lately with my almost brand new N20 ResMed mask. I've used about 5 of the ResMed's in a row. Find the headgear stretchy/fragile.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I understand that the Brevida not work for OP. Fair enough. Obviously no single mask works for everyone. In my case though, Brevida seals super well. I take care not to tighten the straps too tight, which would distort the seal and cause a leak. The only problem I have is that occasionally the mini-tubes in the pillow get turned inside out. The does cause a leak in my case, so I just turn the tube aright and the problem is fixed. Very low leaks, most nights 0.00% or 0.01% large leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I forgot to mention that - despite having a supposedly 6-foot hose, the 6ft covers don't cover the full length. So I got an 8ft one instead, and that fits the whole length. I also found someone making covers and got matching ones for the P10 to cover the smaller hose that goes from the main hose to the pillows if I use the P10.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 997 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 249 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 5,138 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 322 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 511 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 949 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 370 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.