Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Alternative to BD syringes? Cost too high
The US has a whole lot of problems and like a lot of you, I can think of a whole list of them, but, I can't think of too many places that I would want to lay my hat down and call home because most places are worse than the US is. This is just my opinion.
02-16-2015 11:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Sex: Female

I can't help you on cheaper supplies (have you called either Cosco or Sam's club pharmacies?), but for anything that you don't want counted on your way to the donut hole, go to a different pharmacy and don't claim Medicare. For instance, regular insulin is cheaper through Sam's club pharmacies than Medicare covers and you don't have to be a member to use the pharmacy. Since you aren't using Medicare, you don't give them your card so it isn't added to your part D totals.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2015 10:33 AM by Mosquitobait.)
04-17-2015 10:32 AM
Mark Douglas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Sys 1 (60) RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex 760P Auto Bi-Level (Variabl
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: PR Wisp
Humidifier: PR Sys One heated
CPAP Pressure: RiseTime 3 Fxd E-9.0 / I-11.5
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Sex: Male

(02-16-2015 11:52 PM)me50 Wrote:  The US has a whole lot of problems and like a lot of you, I can think of a whole list of them, but, I can't think of too many places that I would want to lay my hat down and call home because most places are worse than the US is. This is just my opinion.

Is this an informed opinion?
Uruguay is too cloudy and dark in the winter for my tastes. Rio Grande do Sul just next door is more like Florida in the winter. I was surprised the first time I heard Portudeutsch there and you can get by just fine with a little Deutsch or English as long as you make an effort to learn some português - but then that is where Gisele Bündchen is from. Brasilian's think of themselves as European and not Latins. Funny we are getting to be a two class system like Brasil and Brasil is building a middle class.

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
04-17-2015 11:27 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(02-09-2015 06:43 PM)justMongo Wrote:  Last year, I paid $.18 per BD insulin syringe (with insurance.) This year, I'm now paying $.25 per syringe with insurance. That's just too expensive considering the number I use and the annual cost. Seems like they should cost about $.10 So, I'm using each one two or three times.

Are there alternative brands?

I am not a healthcare professional however when I was on multiple daily injections, I used one syringe per day. I averaged 7-8 injections per day and my doctor at that time said it was OK to use just one syringe per day. He did caution to keep an eye on the condition of the needle because if they get bent, even a little, it can cause injury to the skin. I did not have insurance then either. I bought my syringes from WalMart who sold their 'own brand' at that time.

Now that I have an insulin pump I need to have a package of 10 syringes as backup in case the pump fails. When I go to Walgreens to buy that one package, I have to almost sign my life away. The government can "give" syringes away to drug addicts, but I can barely buy syringes and my life depends on insulin. Something wrong with this plan.
04-17-2015 05:16 PM
2PAPs Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR System One 750p
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Ultra Mirage
Humidifier: PR System ONe
CPAP Pressure: 8-20
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

If you live in a location that has "Needle Exchange" (designed for IV drug users), you can get some for free.
05-24-2015 08:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(04-17-2015 05:16 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  Now that I have an insulin pump I need to have a package of 10 syringes as backup in case the pump fails. When I go to Walgreens to buy that one package, I have to almost sign my life away. The government can "give" syringes away to drug addicts, but I can barely buy syringes and my life depends on insulin. Something wrong with this plan.

That's my beef. The same pharmacy will sell a package of 10 to a hype for $2.00 with no Rx. That's 20 cents each. I have to pay $0.25 each with insurance and an Rx. I talked to my doc; and he said it's fine to reuse them since it's not needle sharing. So, even if I get two injections from one syringe, I cut my cost in half. These 30 gauge needles do dull on first use; so, it stings a bit on second use.

(04-17-2015 10:32 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote:  I can't help you on cheaper supplies (have you called either Cosco or Sam's club pharmacies?), but for anything that you don't want counted on your way to the donut hole, go to a different pharmacy and don't claim Medicare. For instance, regular insulin is cheaper through Sam's club pharmacies than Medicare covers and you don't have to be a member to use the pharmacy. Since you aren't using Medicare, you don't give them your card so it isn't added to your part D totals.
I use synthetic insulins: Humalog and Lantus. Both are expensive.
I get them at a reasonable copay; it's just that my Rx plan gets to count the retail price toward the doughnut hole. I know Costco offers reasonable prices on most generics. There are no generics for Humalog and Lantus. Out of pocket price, even at Costco would be hundreds per month. Just looked up the cash price for 20 mL of lantus at Costco --- $533.23 per month !

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2015 08:53 PM by justMongo.)
05-24-2015 08:44 PM
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

(05-24-2015 08:44 PM)justMongo Wrote:  [quote='GrammaBear' pid='109370' dateline='1429308960']

I get them at a reasonable copay; it's just that my Rx plan gets to count the retail price toward the doughnut hole. I know Costco offers reasonable prices on most generics. There are no generics for Humalog and Lantus. Out of pocket price, even at Costco would be hundreds per month. Just looked up the cash price for 20 mL of lantus at Costco --- $533.23 per month !

My bro is in the donut hole himself and pays over $500 (with Medicare and insurance) for his one container of insulin a month. Before his medical situation worsened, both he and my late Dad used the cheap insulin (R & N) for about $30 a month (cash price) from Sam's. I feel fortunate that I'm doing good with diabetes control and may avoid insulin for many years yet. In my 20s, I often fronted the money for insulin for one of my childhood neighbors (type 1) because there were no programs to help such people when they were unemployed.
05-28-2015 09:54 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(05-28-2015 09:54 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote:  
(05-24-2015 08:44 PM)justMongo Wrote:  [quote='GrammaBear' pid='109370' dateline='1429308960']

My bro is in the donut hole himself and pays over $500 (with Medicare and insurance) for his one container of insulin a month. Before his medical situation worsened, both he and my late Dad used the cheap insulin (R & N) for about $30 a month (cash price) from Sam's. I feel fortunate that I'm doing good with diabetes control and may avoid insulin for many years yet. In my 20s, I often fronted the money for insulin for one of my childhood neighbors (type 1) because there were no programs to help such people when they were unemployed.

I know, if I had to, I could use the less expensive insulins. NPH is a long lasting basal insulin; but, it's not a flat curve; and has to be injected 2X in Diem. Also, it has fine zinc particles in it that must be dispersed by rolling the vial, then quickly drawing the dose.

Adult onset diabetes runs in my family. My German grandmother (on my father's side) had it. I don't know how she managed to live to be 72. There were no glucose meters; and I doubt she could afford any medications.

Type 1's, these days, are usually put on the pump. The pump only uses rapid insulin; and administers little spurts just like the pancreas. With continuous monitoring becoming a reality, very shortly, they will close the loop between the monitor and pump.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-28-2015 10:17 AM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(05-28-2015 10:17 AM)justMongo Wrote:  
(05-28-2015 09:54 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote:  

I know, if I had to, I could use the less expensive insulins. NPH is a long lasting basal insulin; but, it's not a flat curve; and has to be injected 2X in Diem. Also, it has fine zinc particles in it that must be dispersed by rolling the vial, then quickly drawing the dose.

Adult onset diabetes runs in my family. My German grandmother (on my father's side) had it. I don't know how she managed to live to be 72. There were no glucose meters; and I doubt she could afford any medications.

Type 1's, these days, are usually put on the pump. The pump only uses rapid insulin; and administers little spurts just like the pancreas. With continuous monitoring becoming a reality, very shortly, they will close the loop between the monitor and pump.

NPH is definitely less expensive and I used this for a long time after first being diagnosed. My doctor at that time did not seem to understand the fact that it doesn't have a flat curve. He was always accusing me of cheating by eating between meals. What he didn't understand was that you indeed do have to feed the insulin when you use NPH.

I am so glad for modern analog insulins, makes my life so much easier. It isn't fair, in my opinion, that Medicare will fund insulin for people on a pump, but not for people who use a syringe or a pen. I've also helped people financially who could not afford their insulin when they fell on hard times.
05-28-2015 03:56 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(05-28-2015 03:56 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  NPH is definitely less expensive and I used this for a long time after first being diagnosed. My doctor at that time did not seem to understand the fact that it doesn't have a flat curve. He was always accusing me of cheating by eating between meals. What he didn't understand was that you indeed do have to feed the insulin when you use NPH.

I am so glad for modern analog insulins, makes my life so much easier. It isn't fair, in my opinion, that Medicare will fund insulin for people on a pump, but not for people who use a syringe or a pen. I've also helped people financially who could not afford their insulin when they fell on hard times.

Medicare recently decided I could only test 3X daily when I inject 5X daily. I wrote an appeal; and wrote to my Congress critter. Medicare is only interested in the short term -- what will they spend this year. Never mind the expense of complications that will come down the road.

05-28-2015 05:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Acrobat alternative PDFCreator, good/bad? justMongo 13 689 07-14-2016 06:00 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Microsoft discounts cost of Windows 8 by 70% Sleepster 30 5,073 03-30-2014 11:54 AM
Last Post: c0reDump
  Olympic gold has a high price zonk 0 1,115 07-13-2012 04:05 PM
Last Post: zonk
  American Dietetic Association Using State Legislatures to Block Alternative Nutrition SuperSleeper 0 1,584 07-12-2012 02:21 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper