Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Alternative to CPAP-long airline flight
RE: Alternative to CPAP-long airline flight
Did you speak with a supervisor? I can't imagine a medical device being a part of your carry on limit but I could be wrong. Won't hurt to ask for a supervisor.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find that odd, medical devices are not considered part of the carry on allowance normally, and you should question it, but that said, Air Berlin may be following their own rules and not the IATA Guidelines - they are a discount airline, after all..... Both Swiss and Lufthansa, as well as BA, Air Canada and Air France all consider CPAP to be in the same class of medical devices as are covered in the guidelines, and do not count them toward the carry on limits.

Since I rarely have to have my carry ons examined or ticketed on the airlines I travel, I never encounter any problem at all. Normally I don't bother to say anything at all, just walk through... Also, ask how many carry ons you are allowed - most transatlantic flights allow one plus a purse or whatever, and that is also a way around it. Odd response from Air Berlin, though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hola DocWils. BA has informed me that only one carry on is allowed. I have asked, via email, if they could take this request of CPAP a part from cabin baggage (per IATA)to their supervisor. I will keep you deformed.
Thank you for your help in this matter.
Pako
Post Reply Post Reply
sorry but I got a chuckle out of harmonicamoon's post
Post Reply Post Reply
:grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
I just returned from a flight to Asia (Toronto - Taipei- Toronto) via Eva air. I was fortunate enough to be in business class. There was no issue at all. On the way over no one mentioned my CPAP at all. On the way back two polite flight attendants asked me "what is that device?" I said it was a medical device to allow me to sleep and there was no issue thereafter.

BTW. I will do another post for this, but if have travelled to Asia a LOT! I have alway had severe jet lag as I could never sleep on the plane. A know realize that being on the plane kicked my OSA into high gear. This time I was was able to get over 8 hours sound sleep each way. What a difference! I still have jet lag of course as my body is twelve hours off from time zones, but I feel great!

Note that I also took my prescribed sleeping pill. Zopiclone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note that, strictly speaking, a CPAP device is almost certainly not rated to plug into an AC outlet on an aircraft. This is because the AC power supplied to those outlets is at a 400Hz frequency, rather than the 60Hz frequency expected for 110V operation. If you look at your AC adapter ratings, you should see it rated for 110-240V 50-60Hz. So 400Hz power is outside of its ratings.

Having said that, speaking as an Electrical Engineering graduate who actually understands these things, there really should be no problem.

The other issue is that power to these outlets is typically limited to 75W, so a blower + humidifier + heated hose might actually exceed that limitation and therefore not be powered properly. However, using just the blower + humidifier (or just the blower) should keep you within the power limitations.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2014, 02:53 PM)RonWessels Wrote: The other issue is that power to these outlets is typically limited to 75W, so a blower + humidifier + heated hose might actually exceed that limitation and therefore not be powered properly. However, using just the blower + humidifier (or just the blower) should keep you within the power limitations.

We should never use humidifier on a plane. Too risky.

If plane hits any turbulence (and it will) water may get splashed backwards into the blower unit, permanently killing the CPAP machine.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 559 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 615 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 408 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,810 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.