Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Altitude Wellness
Lots of people talk about alltitude *sickness* but is there any reason why someone (me) would feel better at ~ 5000ft??? I do get some shortness of breath, but it may be no more than usual... it is offset by less water retention and a general feeling of less gravity, and altho there IS less gravity, it shouldn't be enough of a difference to notice according to most - I think it is more likely to be an artifact of less water retention. But why would that be the case?
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
We know something about this in Switzerland (obviously) - once your lungs adjust to the need to push more O2, you are usually fine, and some people actually prosper at that level. The current theories are various, but it does come down to increase in lung capacity and changes in enzyme levels, as well as efficiency in processing O2. A lot of athletes train at higher levels in order to build up an advantage for sea level competitions.

Mostly, though, you just feel the stimulation and cleaner air.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think you could say I am acclimatized to higher altitude, by any means. I have lived close to sea level all my life. However there is a place where I can stay that is right about 1500m... as soon as I get into that elevation range i feel ... perkier, and as the days go on, I lose water weight, and experience a high level of well being that a vacation at the beach just cannot produce, no matter how relaxed I am or how beautiful the scenery.

As soon as I come back to the valley, and before the water weight has a chance to return, I feel heavy - like 10 tons of gravity just descended. I have googled and googled and cannot find anything to account for it online. Seldom does google fail me so badly Wink

Post Reply Post Reply

(01-30-2015, 03:04 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Lots of people talk about alltitude *sickness* but is there any reason why someone (me) would feel better at ~ 5000ft??? I do get some shortness of breath, but it may be no more than usual... it is offset by less water retention and a general feeling of less gravity, and altho there IS less gravity, it shouldn't be enough of a difference to notice according to most - I think it is more likely to be an artifact of less water retention. But why would that be the case?

I can quantify that. Your mass remains constant. Going from sea level to 5000 ft your measured weight would change by a multiplicative factor of 0.9995 But, the atmospheric pressure would fall from 29.92 in-Hg at sea level to 24.90 in-Hg at 5000 ft.

(01-30-2015, 04:36 PM)DariaVader Wrote: I don't think you could say I am acclimatized to higher altitude, by any means. I have lived close to sea level all my life. However there is a place where I can stay that is right about 1500m... as soon as I get into that elevation range i feel ... perkier, and as the days go on, I lose water weight, and experience a high level of well being that a vacation at the beach just cannot produce, no matter how relaxed I am or how beautiful the scenery.

As soon as I come back to the valley, and before the water weight has a chance to return, I feel heavy - like 10 tons of gravity just descended. I have googled and googled and cannot find anything to account for it online. Seldom does google fail me so badly Wink

That would be the euphoria caused by hypoxia... Dielaughing
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
1500m isn't all that high, maybe enough for a drop in fluid levels (your blood volume decreases the higher you go) but it also increases your red blood cell volume to compensate and push more O2. This in turn boosts your blood volume levels and induces other changes to increase the efficiency of O2 exchange. When you return to sea level, this decreases to your norm and you would feel a difference. Perhaps this is what you are feeling. Or maybe you are just naturally a mountain goat (or, for us Swiss, a hill goat). Go to the hills, Daria, climb ev'ry mountain, ford ev'ry stream. Follow ev'ry rainbow.
Post Reply Post Reply
hypoxia, goatiness, hehe. I want to go to my mountain lake!

[Image: 10662011_10202856245591203_3368912635210275763_o.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply

Doc Wils,

At what elevation do you live? One comment. The Swiss do not have a patent on mountains.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2015, 08:23 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Doc Wils,

At what elevation do you live? One comment. The Swiss do not have a patent on mountains.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

We should have pool going on what Doc will answer...
My guess is: 434 m (1,424 ft).
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll take 1000m Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply

509m What's the prize?
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

Post Reply Post Reply