Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Altitude and AHI
I've noticed an interesting pattern to my AHI numbers. I live at 7800' elevation and occasionally travel to sea level for work. Each time I am at sea level, my AHI numbers get low (<1.0) and stay there. Last week, I had two nights with an AHI of 0.0. Each time I return home, my AHI goes up to the 5-6 range the first night, drops to about 3 the next night and then slowly drops back down to its normal range (0.8-2.0) and stays there.

Anyone else see this pattern of AHI with altitude changes?
05-01-2013 03:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Altitude and AHI
Are you checking the altitude compensation on your S9?

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
05-01-2013 04:14 PM
aehjr Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet

Other Comments:

(05-01-2013 04:14 PM)Shastzi Wrote:  Are you checking the altitude compensation on your S9?

I didn't think there was an altitude compensation. I thought it was automatic on the S9 AutoSet.

Thanks, I'll check that.
05-01-2013 07:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

ah, ok. It is supposed to be auto compensated up to 8,500 ft. Above that and you need to dig into some engineering texts.

Hope that helps. Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
05-01-2013 08:06 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

The machine may be autocompensated but your body is not. That's a big change for any person, sleep apnea or not.

When you return and your AHI rises, do you also hit the upper limits of your settings? Bumping the maximum up for just a few nights may not be worth the trouble, though.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-01-2013 08:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
aehjr Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

My pressure graphs look about the same as most other nights, whether at sea level or at home. Average pressure is around 8 cm with two or three excursions up near the max of 12.
05-01-2013 09:26 PM
aehjr Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

(05-01-2013 08:06 PM)Shastzi Wrote:  ah, ok. It is supposed to be auto compensated up to 8,500 ft. Above that and you need to dig into some engineering texts.

Hope that helps. Smile

I'm at 7800 ft so the machine should be able to compensate appropriately. That being said, I have not been able to find any info as to what is the proper compensation for altitudes above 8500 ft in spite of hours spent trying to find info on the internet. I routinely sleep at 9600 ft during ski season; hence the reason for my attempts to find info.
05-01-2013 09:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
JJJ Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: Most recent: Wisp, Pilairo, Mirage Vista
Humidifier: ResMed S9 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 17-20

Other Comments:

(05-01-2013 03:05 PM)aehjr Wrote:  I've noticed an interesting pattern to my AHI numbers. I live at 7800' elevation and occasionally travel to sea level for work. Each time I am at sea level, my AHI numbers get low (<1.0) and stay there. Last week, I had two nights with an AHI of 0.0. Each time I return home, my AHI goes up to the 5-6 range the first night, drops to about 3 the next night and then slowly drops back down to its normal range (0.8-2.0) and stays there.
Anyone else see this pattern of AHI with altitude changes?

I live close to sea level and rarely go to high altitudes, so I have no experience with your problem.

However, the physics is pretty straightforward. At sea level atmospheric pressure is about 14.7 pounds per square inch. The higher you go the lower the atmospheric pressure. Now, the purpose of the CPAP machine is to increase air pressure at your face. If it is starting at a lower pressure than it was designed for it will fail to increase the pressure to the amount you have set it for. It seems to me that the solution is simple: Just increase the settings on the machine when you are at high altitude. Exactly how much to increase the settings should be a simple calculation once you figure out the atmospheric pressure at your altitude.

Having said all that there is one thing I do not understand. According to what I read the S9 Autoset can adjust for altitude. The only way it could do so is if it had an air pressure sensor so it would know what altitude it was operating at. Does it? I'm curious how it knows how much to compensate. Once you know the methodology you can fake it by increasing the settings.
05-01-2013 09:56 PM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Hi aehjr,

I suppose you have verified that the higher AHI when you return to high altitude is not caused by the max pressure setting ever being too low, but maybe it would help to raise the lower pressure, even if for just a few nights after returning home.

Some forum members report better sleep quality (not merely lower AHI) after they increased the bottom number of their pressure range.

I think the increase in CPAP pressure is approximately 0.6 cmH2O for each 1500 ft increase in elevation above sea level, which is not much more than 1% of the atmospheric change in absolute pressure between the two elevations.

When you go to higher elevations perhaps you can try manually adjusting your pressure range (both top and bottom numbers) by 0.6 cmH2O per 1500 ft.

(05-01-2013 09:56 PM)JJJ Wrote:  However, the physics is pretty straightforward. At sea level atmospheric pressure is about 14.7 pounds per square inch. The higher you go the lower the atmospheric pressure. Now, the purpose of the CPAP machine is to increase air pressure at your face. If it is starting at a lower pressure than it was designed for it will fail to increase the pressure to the amount you have set it for. It seems to me that the solution is simple: Just increase the settings on the machine when you are at high altitude. Exactly how much to increase the settings should be a simple calculation once you figure out the atmospheric pressure at your altitude.

Hi JJJ,

The physics involved were explored in an earlier thread:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...t=altitude

My guess is we need slightly higher pressure at higher altitudes because the airflow fluid dynamics change slightly, because of the change in air density as the altitude increases.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
05-02-2013 12:52 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
craigrrr Offline

Members

Machine: philips respironics
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: resmed mirage swift II
Humidifier: system one
CPAP Pressure: 18

Other Comments: use Bipap PR system One

I used to live in the high desert of Arizona 7200' elevation, I had to move to the low desert it was just getting to hard to breath up there. now I am at 1200' and it is great I also have Afib and it was a lot worse at higher elevations. might be time to move to a lower elevation.
05-02-2013 10:06 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  High Altitude experience with Dreamstation APAP. NorthernGuy 6 517 08-31-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: NorthernGuy
  1) AHI by altitude? 2) Elevated AHI but decent SpO2 glaxelson 5 599 03-09-2016 12:06 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Altitude dzwiss 8 675 02-28-2016 05:03 PM
Last Post: dzwiss
  Anecdotal experience regarding CPAP and altitude wolson 5 738 02-27-2016 03:42 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  [CPAP] Altitude Lyndaloofa 5 773 09-28-2015 02:35 PM
Last Post: surferdude2
  Change in altitude - AHI went up Rastur 5 1,239 09-20-2015 04:46 PM
Last Post: vsheline
  New to CPAP/BiPAP - living at High Altitude forJO 5 1,595 08-15-2015 03:25 PM
Last Post: vsheline