Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Am I crazy?
Am I crazy?
(First, let me say I really like the RT I'm working with. I think she is doing the best she knows how to do, she did set me up with an AutoSet and made time for me when she was supposed to be at an appointment of her own. I just don't think she has been given appropriate training.)

I went to my DME today to have my 1st 30 day insurance compliance report generated. My friendly RT accepted my card, imported it to her ResScan program but since I didn't actually come on the 30th day I had to talk her through changing the dates to get the report. Dont-know Now, I've only been looking at ResScan data for a couple days and find SleepyHead easier to use and understand. And I haven't even looked at the Compliance report before... Shouldn't someone trained for that software understand it better than I do?

Then she got all excited about the great AHI scores and my hours of use. Told me how great I was doing and asked if I had any questions? Well I did. I wanted some help reading the data charts SleepyHead generates. She is an RT, surely reading breathing patterns would be part of her training? I guess not. Neither she nor the other RT could elaine the graphs... The second guy didn't seem to be very happy that I even had them. As he repeatedly stated, they are not trained on that program sothere is no way they could read the graphs. Thankfully the gal I'm working with doesn't have a problem with my having SleepyHead. knew I wanted software when I got the machine and is so sorry that SleepMapper will not work with my machine. But she is no help in reading the information.

After her co-worker left she asked me why I was so insistent on getting the ResMed machine. It appears she headed to a sleep study. I gave her the web address for the other forum and suggested she spend some time there reading before seeing anyone. (i need to be able to vent on this site)

It surely is a crazy world.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Am I crazy?
SleepyDreamCatcher, it's great to see you are being so pro active with your therapy, I think you will get more from this site than you RT, post your results on here and we can advise you.
Unless there are any major problems the figures you want to concentrate on are the AHI and leaks, personally, I don't worry too much aout the other graphs unless I feel something is wrong.
The other things you should be monitoring is not a graph or a set of figures but how you feel now compared to before being diagnosed and whether you are improving vs prior to being diagnosed.
Hope this helps but well done for trying to get some answers out of them Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably not on the graphs. RTs are trained to be therapists. They work in treatment, not diagnosis. So I doubt they every really look at the graphs. Numbers, yes. Graphs, no. And I doubt they ever look at any number other than AHI and perhaps leak rate. It is not their fault either. It is "the system". Graphs are scary things! Only doctors with their years of training can understand those!

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2014, 12:37 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Probably not on the graphs. RTs are trained to be therapists. They work in treatment, not diagnosis. So I doubt they every really look at the graphs. Numbers, yes. Graphs, no. And I doubt they ever look at any number other than AHI and perhaps leak rate. It is not their fault either. It is "the system". Graphs are scary things! Only doctors with their years of training can understand those!

Exactly... All that was important were the numbers on the bar graphs for compliance, AHI and leak rate. It's sad really. But as you say, it's their training. I guess I just expect more from someone with the title of "therapist". Must be because I expect that from myself as an OTR (occupational therapist). When I find that I need more information/training to meet my clients needs I go looking for continuing education classes on that subject.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2014, 11:18 PM)Tez62 Wrote: SleepyDreamCatcher, it's great to see you are being so pro active with your therapy, I think you will get more from this site than you RT, post your results on here and we can advise you.
Unless there are any major problems the figures you want to concentrate on are the AHI and leaks, personally, I don't worry too much aout the other graphs unless I feel something is wrong.
The other things you should be monitoring is not a graph or a set of figures but how you feel now compared to before being diagnosed and whether you are improving vs prior to being diagnosed.
Hope this helps but well done for trying to get some answers out of them Smile

I have definitely learned more on this and other apea sites than I have from the medical community.

My stats are fine. Low to no leaks, with reasons (like pulling over the machine or struggling half awake to rlace the cushion onto the mask when I inadvertently pulled it off while readjusting it or wiping away the sweat from my upper lip) for the couple larger leaks. AHI's of 2.5 or under... Most under 1.0. I still have some sleepiness and never am ready to get up when the alarm makes... But my thinking is clear, my eyes, while still having darkness under them no longer look like I've been soccer punched, my co-workers tell me that I'm no longer looking like a ghost and most importantly I can make it through a day of work (10 to 11 hours) without feeling like I can't take another step or see another client. So I know the therapy is effective. I-love-CPAP

My only personal concern right now is that I'm still snoring, which I know will not be a big concern for the sleep doc when she sees the rest of my figures. I'm wanting to really understand the wave graphs for my own enlightenment. Enquiring minds want to know...Thinking-about I guess I'm going to have to learn to use photobucket so you all can help me. Is there a thread that explains the process?

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2014, 05:52 AM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: Exactly... All that was important were the numbers on the bar graphs for compliance, AHI and leak rate.
My 90-day visit to the sleep lab PA took about 5 minutes. I got a "good boy" on compliance and some conversation about the PA's farm. I'm guessing that's typical.
Post Reply Post Reply
Almost forgot... I haven't needed any TUMS during the past two weeks! Since I haven't lost weight, that has got to be due to CPAP also.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had crazy acid reflux that went away after I started Pap, and night time trips to the bathroom. 3 birds with the same stone. All my DME wanted was to know the compliance so they could continue to get paid. The next time I went to my regular doctor for something else he said "are you still doing the cpap thing" I said all night every night and the subject was closed. Mind you if I did have a problem I would have taken it further. I kind of enjoy being on top of my own treatment and not needing any of them.

Good luck
Doc J
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: Must be because I expect that from myself as an OTR (occupational therapist). When I find that I need more information/training to meet my clients needs I go looking for continuing education classes on that subject.

But imagine if a simple wrist brace was prescription only and everyone had to go to a DME to get fitted. And only an OT could do the fitting. She may also assist you with your fingers, but elbows are not her department. She hasn't the time because the DME insists she sell you the cheapest wrist brace possible to maximize profit and to get as many "patients" done each day as she can.

That's what happened to the RTs when it was decided only they can interact with CPAP "patients". I often wonder how other RTs, working with patients elsewhere, think of those who only do CPAP work. Do they consider them "real" Respiratory Therapists? Are those we work with the ones at the bottom of their class? Or the ones who decided sputum was not for them after all?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 452 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  Mask driving me crazy phoebesalva 8 515 01-08-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: phoebesalva
  Low RDI but still feeling tired... crazy tidal volume psreiser 2 550 10-12-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: psreiser
Gross Mask noises are making me crazy Dreamless 7 842 09-08-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Dreamless
  Wife's Crazy Sleeping Heart Rate, Ideas? Apnea23 11 1,178 04-14-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: pwnorris
  [split] Crazy low Respiration Rates & high Centrals - sometimes... oqwif 6 867 12-09-2021, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  Crazy Breathing Patterns, Difficult with CPAP Post Covid asuter060514 7 1,041 09-11-2021, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.