Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Am I done tinkering?
RE: Am I done tinkering?
Sparkle, I think if you can just sit down with your brothers one at a time and look at your data with them it might peak their curiosity. Then, put their data into another user account in your Sleepyhead, and go from there. You have a knack for this and have been tweaking the settings to get the best return. That's all it takes, so sadly you fit right in with us misfits. Smile . Forums aren't for everyone, but it does help some get information, feedback and motivation.

I was mostly active in another forum, but recently came over here because Apneaboard is good enough to host the Sleepyhead and clinical manual downloads. I got a new machine in December, and just picked up an auto BiPAP to experiment with, so I'm back into the forums to learn and help as I can. I get a real kick out of hearing something I suggested helped someone.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
DON'T BE A LOSER - BE A SNOOZER !! Be the shepherd of your own health and tweak until it doesn't hurt.

If it ain't tweaked, tweak it! If it's already tweaked, un-tweak it and re-tweak (new words there). You can't lose unless you stop tweaking. You only lose when you choose (to).

<whew> I'm all out of breath from that shouting...
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2015, 10:17 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Sparkle, I think if you can just sit down with your brothers one at a time and look at your data with them it might peak their curiosity. Then, put their data into another user account in your Sleepyhead, and go from there. You have a knack for this and have been tweaking the settings to get the best return. That's all it takes, so sadly you fit right in with us misfits. Smile . Forums aren't for everyone, but it does help some get information, feedback and motivation.

I was mostly active in another forum, but recently came over here because Apneaboard is good enough to host the Sleepyhead and clinical manual downloads. I got a new machine in December, and just picked up an auto BiPAP to experiment with, so I'm back into the forums to learn and help as I can. I get a real kick out of hearing something I suggested helped someone.

Thank you - I will sit down with them - I'm not sure their machines even have any data capabilities - they are quite old.

As for tweaking settings - I think you have me mixed up with the person who started this thread. I'm on Day 7 of using CPAP-I just came home plugged it in and started using it - I haven't touched a thing. But the readings I'm getting from the Res Med site's My Air - I am getting between .01-.05 (mostly .03's) events per night. I look forward to watching the numbers as time goes on as well as getting savvy enough to attempt either SleepyHead or ResScan. I'm nervous about wiping out the SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sparkle,
Good luck with getting family on board. My brother in law has used a CPAP machine for 10 years now. Same Machine! He doesn't want to hear about this Forum, and he has no idea what his AHI is. He said he feels good in the morning and doesn't want to know anything else. He thinks I am obsessive. I like being obsessive!
Rosemarie.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2015, 08:58 AM)roe1549 Wrote: Hi Sparkle,
Good luck with getting family on board. My brother in law has used a CPAP machine for 10 years now. Same Machine! He doesn't want to hear about this Forum, and he has no idea what his AHI is. He said he feels good in the morning and doesn't want to know anything else. He thinks I am obsessive. I like being obsessive!
Rosemarie.

Thank you Rosemarie! I suspect I am going to encounter the same response from my brothers when I approach them. One brother thinks he is cured because he had surgery but I am sure he still needs the machine!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2015, 08:58 AM)roe1549 Wrote: ...My brother in law has used a CPAP machine for 10 years now. Same Machine! He doesn't want to hear about this Forum, and he has no idea what his AHI is. He said he feels good in the morning and doesn't want to know anything else. He thinks I am obsessive. I like being obsessive!
Well now, you see, that is the exact point of this thread. One should tinker and adjust and be vigilant and get their therapy as good as they can, but one should also know that too much obsession about these things can be counterproductive. There is a point of diminishing returns.

So that is the question "am I done tinkering?", or really, "should I be done tinkering?"

The point here is that there is no solid black finish line to let you know when you get there; there is only grey area. Its not an easy question. But I think erring on the side of caution is important, so a little too much tinkering is probably better than a little too little.

If someone asked, I would suggest to get familiar with the forum and what is going on and the world of SA therapy; spend a month or so here regularly, a couple hours a day or so, and then you can come here a little less often once you get the feel of how things should go and you get your therapy where you want it.

That said, it is also great that there are denizens that will be here to answer new questions 24/7.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.