Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Am I expecting too much?
Am I expecting too much?
Hi friends.  I love this board and the quick responses I get.  Here's my question:  Am I expecting too much by looking for a mask that doesn't leak and doesn't put a dent in the bridge of my nose?  iI have tried nasal and 3 different full-face masks, including the ResMed F20 with memory foam, and I keep striking out.  I have terrible leak and terrible numbers.  It is very frustrating.  Should I just accept that there is no perfect mask and live with my leaks?  Or should I keep trying?  Fortunately Commercial provider #1 gives a 30 day trial period.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Am I expecting too much?
You should have read the Mask Primer by now http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer There is a lot of information and strategies there to consider. If a fit over the bridge of your nose doesn't work or is painful, then don't do that. Nasal pillows and hybrid masks fit under the nose. If you don't mouth-breath then by all means just get the Resmed Airfit P10 regular or for her depending on your fit. Otherwise the hybrid masks should be able to achieve a fit without making your nose raw.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have practically memorized the mask fit section but I do mouth breathe and have tried nasal masks to no avail.  I am grateful for your suggestion and your prompt reply.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have also tried 2 different hybrids but had terrible leakage.  That's why I tried the full face.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a mouth breather and I'm using the Airfit F30. I'm having pretty good luck with it. Much less intimidating than the F20. 

And, no dents on the bridge of your nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, big guy. I tried the f30 but it leaked a lot. Do you think this is something I should just learn to live with?
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't have all that many leaks with the F30. But, I do keep the straps on the tight side. Just yesterday, I washed my headgear, mask, and cushion, in Dawn dish soap and hot water. 

I let it soak for a good hour after swishing it around a lot. When I put it on last night in preparation for bed, it was really snug. Being tight doesn't seem to bother me all that much. 

I could tell thru-out the night that it was sealing well. My AHI this morning was 0.4. I tend to wake at night on and off, however briefly. When I do, I'm aware of my mask and how it's performing. That, and getting up at night to use the restroom. 

Anyways, when it comes to face masks and getting a good fit, as you are well aware by now I'm sure, it can be a hit & miss endeavor. 

I also tend to give my masks a good long try-out period when I get one. Right now, I swap back & forth between my AirFit F20 and F30. 

It's not normal to have a mask on your face when you sleep. I was lucky, and for whatever reason, from the very 1st night of SA Therapy, I adapted quite quickly. My wife was very surprised at how well I did, considering my impatience for a lot of other things. I'd say keep at it and give that F30 some more time, and try adjusting the straps just a wee bit on the snug side. 

My best to you and good luck.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your thoughtful answer.  When it's that tight doesn't the F20 dig into the bridge of your nose?  I wake up with a big red mark on my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you looked into Remzzs or Pad A Cheek products? Example is Supplier #1 has Remzzs. There's probably others that supply these; shop to view and get the best pricing. Remzzs are disposable mask liners.

Pad A Cheek has their own site at Supplier #31; they have various padding accessories to make masks more comfortable.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2020, 02:13 PM)Barbara.Levitan Wrote: Thank you for your thoughtful answer.  When it's that tight doesn't the F20 dig into the bridge of your nose?  I wake up with a big red mark on my nose.

No, for whatever reason, neither mask leaves any marks on my face. The only issue that I have with the F20, is that if my nose itches, I can't scratch it.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.