Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Am I free of the DME now?
Smile 
Am I free of the DME now?
My ResMed Airsense 10 autoset just died, after 3 years.  It will not even power up properly.  I called the DME and they said that a new one would be $1,000 and a used one $500.  (And who knows who has sneezed into that.)  Medicare will not pay for another one for another 2 years.  So I just ordered a new one for $655 from the SupplierList and realized that, as far as the old DME is concerned, I have stopped using their machine and they will report same to the Dr.   I might even start getting "helpful reminder" emails from ResMed.  Bah.

Of course, I always go to my annual checkup with my SleepyHead printouts so I think I will get no trouble from the doctor.  (He once told me that there used to be two kinds of DME: the bad ones and the terrible ones.  Now though there are only terrible ones.)

The new machine of course has its own cellular modem inside.  How will that be set up?  Is anybody on the other end?  Can I just disable it through the sekret clinician manual (which I already have)?

And will the new machine recognize the memory card from the old one?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Am I free of the DME now?
you can be free if you want to be...

Can always ask if they could send your broken airsense10 in for repair. This model is still repairable. Insurance will pay for that. Also, the DME company should provide you with a cpap machine (loaner) to use while yours is out for repair.

The cpap will call in the data to ResMed but with no serial number assigned to anyone the data doesn't really go to anyone...
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare generally will only authorize a new machine after 5-years or when your machine is broken and not repairable. The person you talked with at the DME should have advised you of your options. The price you got was pretty decent (Supplier #33 ??).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it was Supplier #33. I am happy not to have to deal with this DME any more - their service has gone down in quality over the 3 years... They did say I could send it off to be repaired without any indication for how long that could take - and they suggested there would be costs involved. I do sleep a lot better with the machine so would prefer not to have an open-ended wait. No mention was made of insurance paying for it.

In 2 years I may deal with them again - if they are still in business.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please consider filing a complaint. Here is the procedure: https://www.medicare.gov/claims-appeals/...ipment-dme
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Airsense 10 has a warranty of 5 years. Someone is either a dummy or trying to scam you. Go into clinician settings and check if therapy hours are the same as run hours, maybe they gave you a used machine instead of a new one and now are trying to cover their ass.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PG&E: free battery for CPAP users suffering power outages in California NelsonM 11 3,767 07-02-2022, 11:07 AM
Last Post: NelsonM
  allergy free home strategies hegel 6 819 03-03-2021, 01:58 PM
Last Post: becker44a
  Free mask from my DME! midwestguy 0 531 01-13-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: midwestguy
  Just bought a new Resmed airsense 10,autostart, when removing mask keeps free flowing Canuck 2 9 2,425 08-07-2020, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Canuck 2
  Free Classes, Support Groups, supply samples, near MD & DC? camper2 1 860 09-04-2019, 01:18 PM
Last Post: skiajl6297
  Can I get a free oximeter somehow? Broomstick 8 1,698 10-26-2018, 09:29 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  How to make distilled water for free zonk 46 112,358 04-01-2017, 02:35 AM
Last Post: archangle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.