Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Am I having Central Apneas?
Exclaimation 
Am I having Central Apneas?
The first hour I had on the P.R. Full Face Amara Gel mask, but I felt sick and horrible with it on for some reason.  What was happening?

After that I switched to the P.R. Amara View the rest of the night, but was it working worse?  Or better?  Pressure was less but it looks like my events were more?  What's going on?

And am I having Central Apneas?  I have an APAP, not a Bi-PAP machine...  Do I need a different type of machine?

I know that my range of 4-20 is too large.  But look what happens at the pressure between the two masks.  And apparently even though the Amara Gel (the first mask) leaks like crazy, my AHI was much lower, correct?

All help is appreciated!!!

[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_03_28_at_1_52_49_PM.png]
[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_03_28_at_1_53_00_PM.png]
[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_03_28_at_1_53_08_PM.png]
[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_03_28_at_1_51_56_PM.png]
[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_03_28_at_1_52_04_PM.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Am I having Central Apneas?
My guess is your leaks with the gel mask drove the pressure up and you ended up swallowing air. That will make anyone feel sick.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2018, 02:02 PM)dk2011 Wrote: The first hour I had on the P.R. Full Face Amara Gel mask, but I felt sick and horrible with it on for some reason.  What was happening?

After that I switched to the P.R. Amara View the rest of the night, but was it working worse?  Or better?  Pressure was less but it looks like my events were more?  What's going on?

And am I having Central Apneas?  I have an APAP, not a Bi-PAP machine...  Do I need a different type of machine?

I know that my range of 4-20 is too large.  But look what happens at the pressure between the two masks.  And apparently even though the Amara Gel (the first mask) leaks like crazy, my AHI was much lower, correct?

Your first hour mask seems to have the higher leakage rate. I don't much difference between the results you are getting with the two masks. Perhaps that is because the machine increased the pressure to compensate for leaks, and that didn't make you feel good?

Your central apnea index, CA, or Clear Airway, is 1.05 which is not really that high. It is worth watching over time and discussing with your doctor if it gets worse (over 5.0). My view is that a BiPAP would not be any better than the machine you have now. 

I would go with the second mask and start adjusting your pressures to get better results. I would expect when optimized you should get an AHI in the 2-3 range. My suggestion at a first change would be to set your machine to start at 5 cm start pressure, ramp up to 8 cm minimum over 20 minutes. That could give you a big improvement in AHI. After that maximum pressure could be reduced to 15 cm or less, after you establish that the mask is working with the lower pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why is my periodic breathing so high? 5% to 8% when using the Amara Gel mask. 1% of less using the AmaraView.

What does this mean?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2018, 02:56 PM)dk2011 Wrote: Why is my periodic breathing so high?  5% to 8% when using the Amara Gel mask.  1% of less using the AmaraView.

What does this mean?

I believe that is the Dreamstation term for Cheyne-Stokes. Not sure how the mask could affect it other than if a mask is leaking badly the CPAP benefit is going to be compromised. CPAP has some potential to reduce the Cheyne-Stokes. Probably you should discuss with your doctor. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Periodic breathing and CSR are two different things. Most of the time Period Breathing tends to show up when first starting out on Dreamstations. It usually is nothing and unless you start getting alot of it (10% or more) I wouldn't worry about it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just to put it out there, you're doing fine!  This image is what we don't want to see.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2018, 04:29 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Just to put it out there, you're doing fine!  This image is what we don't want to see.

This helps!  Thanks!!!

My doctor just changed my prescription to 6.0 minimum and 12.0 maximum. 

Hopefully his narrower range will help get clearer data on SleepyHead and hopefully will reduce my AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thats a better range as prescribed by your doctor, do that for a few nights and review. However I think you may find a range of 8-12 may give better results further down the line in a week or so?

Meanwhile, try to present your Sleepyhead charts like that shown by SR in his reply. Its more useful to show the PAP data on the left and the results to the right. Experiment with presenting that way but ensure you show the events flag, flow rate, flow limit, pressure and leak rate. There are some who seem to be able to squish more into one screenshot by changing the vertical ratios but I have not managed to.

I wish you good nights.........
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2018, 03:51 PM)Apnea Infant Wrote: Experiment with presenting that way but ensure you show the events flag, flow rate, flow limit, pressure and leak rate. There are some who seem to be able to squish more into one screenshot by changing the vertical ratios but I have not managed to.

If you put your mouse cursor on the grey horizontal line between graphs it will switch to a parallel line and arrows. Left click and drag the dividing line up or down to compress or stretch the vertical height of the graph. I find there is a limit to what you can squash it down to and still have it readable. I would not go beyond the point where the title of graph gets messed up. Maximizing SleepyHead to full screen before pushing F12 to do the screen capture helps a lot too.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,675 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,579 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 221 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 127 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,090 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 642 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [CPAP] Clear Airway/Central AI? mattymast 3 181 03-30-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.