Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Am I having centrals?
RE: Am I having centrals?
(07-22-2013, 08:39 PM)Paptillian Wrote:
(07-22-2013, 08:34 PM)DreamDiver Wrote: I spelled a bunch of stuff wrong.

I hadn't even noticed but I should be more careful myself. I tend to reserve proper grammar and spelling for work and assignments. It all goes to hell when I'm on the internet! Too-funny

A parent Lee, spell Czech and Otto correct doesn't all ways work rite when theirs know misspelled words. Bigwink
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks tfm0891!

(07-24-2013, 09:24 AM)tfm0891 Wrote: What you are seeing are more than likely post arousal centrals. This happens sometimes after the brain wakes up for a short moment and you begin to fall back to sleep....COMPLETELY NORMAL!! However.....true centrals have to have a complete cessation of breathing AND. A complete cessation of effort in the abdomen and thorax.....which you can not tell at home if you do not have respiratory belts on. Sometimes our body has to take time to adjust to CPAP, BIPAP AND ASV. It should subside. If it doesn't my only concern would be if your oxygen levels were going down at the same time that these are occurring.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for this very helpful thread. Really informative. Going into night 4 with my S9 Autoset and CAs are quite high but Apnea and Hypopnea rates are very low. I too had low-to-no Centrals in my sleep study, so am encouraged by your voices of experience. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2013, 12:55 AM)1210donna Wrote: apparently things like a yawn in one's sleep can register as a central or simply not breathing whilst rolling over.

Assuming you have a nasal mask (or pillows), a yawn will register as an obstructive apnea event. Typically, you will have closed off the air passage going from your mouth to your nose in order to properly yawn. Hence, an obstructed airway event.

Purposely not breathing while rolling over will probably register as a clear airway apnea event. It _is_ an apnea event, indistinguishable from a central apnea event. You are simply not attempting to breathe. However, rather than your brain having forgotten to breathe, as is the case in a true central apnea event, you are intentionally overriding the automatic breathing reflex and purposely stopping breathing as you roll over. But the machine cannot tell the difference, because it doesn't know that you are awake and intentionally controlling your breathing.

Neither one counts when evaluating your "true" AHI value. Those only count involuntary events when you are asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 17 592 03-31-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 2,120 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 174 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 276 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  are these centrals or false alarms? AZAwake 4 446 02-02-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: SingingWolf
  Centrals coming back Gperry 9 731 12-05-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Cervical collar caused more centrals? Xeros 4 1,116 10-31-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.