Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Am I jumping the gun?
RE: Am I jumping the gun?
Tony, getting a deal on a machine is fine, and if you are going for a Dreamstation, the DSX500 has full data and an auto algorithm. I generally see better results with a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, which has a more responsive auto algorithm and better exhale pressure relief that works as bilevel. Still if you can save several hundred dollars, the Dreamstation will give you good therapy. Good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The question is whether to get a machine now or wait until your testing is done.  

Ask yourself these questions:

How soon will you receive the Lofta test?  
How well are you currently sleeping?
Are you ok with spending money on a machine that might not be suited for your particular apnea results, and then have to spend even more dollars on a better suited machine?

If you have plain old vanilla OSA, then an APAP, either ResMed AutoSet or the DreamStation Auto will work for you.  If you find that you suffer with complex sleep apnea or Central Sleep Apnea, then you would need a different device.

Either way, it's certainly not going to hurt you in any way to buy a machine ahead of time, and it could always be used as a backup, but if it were me, I'd wait.

Do some research on the various type machines:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I admit it, I'm an impulsive person. I went ahead and got a machine, a Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset. Turns out the person who had the dreamstation also had the Resmed, new in the box, so based on the glowing words about the Resmed, here I am. The fellow also threw in a new mask, an F30i.

I set it up and used it last night but did have a bit of trouble with the mask leaking. Overall though, it felt pretty good and I'm encouraged about getting started on tuning the process. First step I think is working on the mask & leaks. I do have a beard and will be reading up here on masks & beards.

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions, so watch for a new thread soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
You got a good machine. Did it have a sd card? If it did put up a chart from Oscar and if not get one and use it tonight. It is the only way to see what is going on.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I've heard of worse impulse buys!

Try setting the machine up during the day or evening outside your bedroom and using it while you do something a little diverting, like watching TV or reading. This can accelerate your adaptation. You can do this for a few days before trying nighttime use. And don't worry if you have some trouble with your early efforts at nighttime use. That's a common experience for many of the people who go on to do well on PAP.

As for mask fit: watch some YouTube videos, and be sure to do your final fitting lying down in your preferred sleep position(s).

Keep us posted!
Post Reply Post Reply
Leaks are only a problem with PAP if they arouse you out of a good sleep or if they render the machine unable to compensate sufficiently to provide you with the pressure you need to overcome your breathing limitations.  These aren't gas masks, so no need for a close fit and lots of bungee cords to keep that seal.  The masks we use are meant to be both effective in delivering good therapeutic pressure for the individual wearer, and also to be comfortable, not cause pressure sores, and not leak in such a way that they cause arousals.  They do not do well with straps that are too tight!

It may be that you'll be forced to try at least three other masks before you find one that works well and reliably.  This is true for a great many of us, unfortunately, but the silver lining is that eventually we do find one, or two, that can be used as a primary and an alternate.

Also, as is the case with all novelty in our lives, it forces us to adapt somehow.  With masks, each different one, size, shape, or fit, will require us to learn how to sleep so that they stay in place, provide a seal, and don't deflect or deform easily.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you think you can use nasal therapy start looking for a Resmed Aircurve P10 pillows mask. This is the quietest and lightest mask made and can easily be found at $90 or less with all three pillow sizes. We have many members that use this mask including myself and it is a very popular and universal fit solution.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
simply put, there are CPAP/APAP, BPAP and VPAP. all are for different degrees of apnea. If the doc says you need BPAP or VPAP your CPAP becomes useless to you.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask 'Pulsing/Jumping' - Plus leakage issues Jake B 4 3,321 09-21-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: HULK

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.