Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Am I sleeping?
Am I sleeping?
Help, please.  I do not know how to "search" the threads in the forum.  Please link me to the right spot if it exists.
Can I use OSCAR data to let me know if I sleep at night.  I have insomnia and feel like I'm awake most of the night.  How do I know if I sleep and which stages I am in?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Am I sleeping?
Oscar reports the information reported from your CPAP machine. Neither Oscar or your machine can determine if you are sleeping, but the flow rate graph usually settles into a pattern typical of sleep with very even breathing. The best device for determining sleep and sleep stage is the Dreem headband. It's kind of expensive, but does the job well. Some of the fitness trackers also attempt to determine sleep and deep sleep. You might want to look at the Dreem website for some ideas on dealing with your insomnia.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2021, 10:41 AM)April Wrote: I do not know how to "search" the threads in the forum.

In the black bar at the top of the screen, click on the word "Search."
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, Dreem has decided to stop selling headbands to individuals. I used the Dreem 2, and here is the email I got a month ago:

Today, we are making a decisive strategic move. We have decided to shift our strategy towards the healthcare industry (pharmaceutical companies, research labs, homecare providers, distributors). By working hand-in-hand with these players, we will leverage our core technology to answer the unmet needs of people suffering from sleep issues. This new strategy impacts our organisation and our way of working. This is why we will stop selling headbands directly to consumers.
How does this decision impact you?

Nothing changes! We will continue to bring customer service anytime you need it. Shifting our business strategy doesn’t mean ignoring customers that made us who we are today. We won’t develop new features but our whole team will make sure that Dreem service (app, firmware, calls with sleep experts) is always up and running.

To learn more about our new strategy, you can read our press release.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for letting me know.  I was trying to save money by not buying more equipment.  Since I feel like I am not sleeping, I would like to verify if that is true.
It seems that you doubt that other wearable devices can determine sleep accurately.  Would that include Oura rings?
I will learn how to "read" the OSCAR printouts.  They are rich in data.  I must learn to decipher them.  I'm finding information on the WiKi site.

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry. I didn't state that well.  I used the "search" feature but the word "sleep" brought up too many threads.  I couldn't figure out how to phrase my topic.  I found good information in the WiKi.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for telling me about Dreem.  It seems like that is no longer an option.  I researched it months ago and decided it was out of my budget.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a really interesting breath trick, sometimes I just stop breathing while asleep. Others call this Central Apnea. My Apnea has brought difficulty in a few areas like insomnia. My sleep efficiency is about 55% without PAP therapy and about 90 minutes of sleep onset.

Now the positive, if I'm using the right PAP for me, those negatives do diminish and I'll get rest.

Have you been issued a PAP machine yet and which one? Do you have data to post from OSCAR yet? While OSCAR doesn't boldly state you're sleeping from this time to that, there's patterns for waking or sleeping that can be pointed out. Completely accurate? Not exactly but the Dr. McQuacks of sleep medicine have not got around to issuing all of us EEG kits. I'm sure if they pictured all the extra boat payments they're missing out on they'll maybe put a kit together sometime.

Anyway in all seriousness, getting the rest you need is very important, and while wearing an alien on your face that has a 6 foot umbilical cord and blows air from the Momma PAP ship isn't exactly normal, being well rested makes up for it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your insights.  I've been using CPAP for about 25 years.  BUT I have not gotten good care.  And I didn't know about this forum.

Thank goodness the company I bought my equipment from has steered me here. When I got sleep studies in 2104 and 2016, the wonderful doctor told me I have insomnia, not sleep apnea and refused to titrate me or authorize a machine!  Our broken medical system sent me out to fend for myself.  Have they not heard of comorbidity?

Thank goodness I had a prescription from 1996 to buy my own equipment.  I didn't know how to set the equipment, so basically I have not received adequate CPAP treatment because I was treating myself.

I am now getting a little assistance from an integrative nurse practitioner who only takes cash.  My insurance company got me an appointment (not a study) with a sleep person-I don't know their qualifications- for Aug 2, 2021, just 5 months from now.

I have anxiety.  When I wake up for any breathing issue, I can't get back to sleep.  I think I'm awake much of the night,  though I know I do sleep or I couldn't have apneas and hypopneas.

I have two masks that both leak.  I will get a new one on Monday that hopefully does not leak.  Once I can stop the leaking and let my body adjust, I will post some OSCAR reports.

Thank you for your interest in helping. I don't think the current OSCAR data is accurate.  I'll check in about a week from now.  I ordered a Respironics DreamWear Nasal CPAP System - Complete Kit.  I hope the reviews are right.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2021, 10:41 AM)April Wrote: Can I use OSCAR data to let me know if I sleep at night.  I have insomnia and feel like I'm awake most of the night.  How do I know if I sleep and which stages I am in?

Our machines don't show which stages of sleep we're in, unfortunately. 

This might seem out of left field, but... would you consider turning off your wi-fi at night?  (And also powering off any bluetooth devices, wi-fi devices, & cell phone.) I am unable to get deep sleep when I have wi-fi, bluetooth, or powered on cell phone in my home.  The best I can get is the 1st stage of sleep, which seems like what you're describing.  But without wifi & bluetooth, and not sleeping near a powered-on cell phone, I can get deep sleep no problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
A PS

If you have data on OSCAR you can post it and we should help with pressure adjustments that will make this better.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 249 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 458 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Not been sleeping well, just installed SD card and oscar, please help SleepyGrumpy 2 228 02-04-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.