Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke
RE: Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke
(11-17-2018, 11:39 PM)mesenteria Wrote: Why can't we rig up a hooka pipe type thingy?  Surely our machines can draw air through a shallow bath of water...or vodka?  Cool

Offer to work together and build this, Called HPAP Hooka Pipe And Parts  Coffee  Eat-popcorn We spike the thing with mind altering drug that makes the patient believe our HPAP is worth more than it really is. Then we call as a CS follow-up to measure compliance and of course to order the model 2 because model 1 JUST became obsolete. And they must act today or be left behind with an old outdated model 1 HPAP, oh to endure the shame that they don't care about themself and relegate their therapy to old equipment. HEY wait a minute...kinda sounds like a DME, errrrr.

Dielaughing  Eat-popcorn  Coffee

Add in an offer to rent for 13 months as well.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2018, 05:48 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: One example (link removed) in the US at Home Depot for $30.00

I don't think a UV air cleaner will work for smoke.  Those kill micro-organisms and stop odors from them, but they don't remove small particles from the air (which is what you smell from the smoke).  An electrostatic air cleaner would be an alternative to HEPA for smoke particles, but you can get tiny amounts of ozone.  Some people are sensitive to even small amounts of ozone. An ion generator will remove the smoke particles, but permanently bond them to your walls and everything close by.  There are some "ionic wind" air cleaners that don't use a fan.  They create ions and attract them to charged plates, creating a wind in the process that pulls more air through the machine.  Very little of the particles escape, so these won't blacken your walls and furniture, but they are ridiculously over-priced.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could be right on that. Sorry.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2018, 07:11 PM)Stom Wrote: California currently has the worst air quality in the world, so I'd love it if my APAP filter could remove the tiny and hazardous 2.5 micron particles from the air I breathe at night. I'm pretty sure the un-rated "hypo allergenic" filters in my A10 don't filter out anything that small.

Has anyone cobbled together a true HEPA filter for their PAP machine? I'm assuming that I'd need to use a large filter funneled down to the machine's intake to get sufficient surface area to keep the flow resistance down. Or, alternately, the PAP machine could be put in a sealed box with a big HEPA filter on one side a sealed holed for the hose and power cord - which I'm less inclined towards because I don't want the machine to overheat and I wouldn't be able to easily access the machine controls.

Not technically a hepa filter, but I've been using a respirator filter in my cpap machine (Resmed S7 lightweight) for more than 15 years.  My DME has tested it and said it works great. What I use is a P100 Respirator and McCordick G70 filter cartridge.

Now that I have a Resmed Airsense 10, I adapted it by welding the respirator mount to a small kitchen funnel. The end of the funnel fits perfectly into the opening behind the Resmed Airsense 10 filter door.  Based on the measurements I made using a precision micro-manometer, the respirator cartridge reduces the air flow less than the standard Resmed filter.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I know I'm late to this thread, but I came up with a simple solution recently.
The main problem is that a true HEPA filter puts too much strain on the small motors. The solution to that is a greatly increased filter size.
I just took a hepaflo vacuum cleaner bag, turned it inside out and taped it sealed to the Resmed air inlet.
Not any noticeable change in strain judged by noise or pressure.
You can buy non-branded cheap from ebay.
The Numatic hepaflo is 40 x 40 x 0.2 cm (around 15" square on each side). That's a lot of surface.
If you have it on cabinet on the right hand side of you bed then it just dangles happily over the side.
Post Reply Post Reply
As noted above, cutting a piece of material from an N95 or KN95 mask is the easiest.  However, you have to make sure the little fibers don't hang around to get blown into your lungs.  
I solved the problem by trimming a larger section of mask, taping all around the edges, and then taping that construct to the ....outside.... of the machine.  I also left the original filter in place.  

Results: I don't seem to have any increase in my apneas.  I'm theorizing that because it's a CPAP which adjusts the pressure automatically the output results are the same as without.    Whether it puts a strain on the machine, decreasing its life, I don't know.  
I will be checking with my sleep Doc and with the CPAP manufacturer tech support.  I will report back.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,214 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 140 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 122 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 217 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 903 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 637 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 133 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.