Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Amara View maybe the wrong choice for me.
Amara View maybe the wrong choice for me.
I have been using the Amara View mask for over a month now. I got a replacement cushion on the 19th as scheduled. I'm having real trouble with it sealing now, I have to sleep in a different room because of the noise. I wake many time a night with dry mouth and leaking mask.
I think the headgear straps are stretching during the night. It starts out so tight it feels like I have an "Alien" clamped to my face but in a few hours it noisy loose. I woke up last night with a racing heart (I have AFIB) and had to take the mask off at 3AM.

My DME supplier with Medicare only allows me to change my mask every three months. I am at a loss as to what to try next. The DME people are no help selecting a different mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Amara View maybe the wrong choice for me.
I am sorry you are having such difficulties.  I agree that the DME offers no help.  I tried the Amara View a few months ago.  For me the pressure blowing directly up my nose from this mask gave me terrible sinus headaches.  I also had issues with it sealing well.  I went back to my old quattro fx as that mask seals fairly well for me though it gives me terrible pressure marks so I am still on the lookout for a new mask. 

I have been going to the various cpap stores online and trying out masks with the 30 day money back guarantee if the mask does not work.  Unfortunately I still have not found one that works as well as the quattro.  I have the Airsence F20 with the memory foam coming this week.  Hoping this one will work.  I wish I had some advice for you.  Sure hope you can get your situation resolved.  Have you tried a nasal mask at all? Or are you a mouth breather and need a full face mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like you have the Amara on too tight. Look at the manufactures video for fitting the mask.

A 'll so read the Mask Primer. A lot of good info in there on mask usage. My profile pic is me in an Amara View. It does need to be looser.

Ther are other ways to counter mouth breathing, again refer to the Mask Primer. See my signature
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry meant to say Airtouch F20 not Airsence.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think part of the problem is the head gear is stretching a lot. I have to adjust it all night. My provider will only replace it every six months, way to long. I think I will just order extras and pay out of pocket!
When my machine ramps up to avert a central, pressure is so high it blows my mask loose.
I have been reducing the high number and my AHI is still very low (last night .4 an hour) I hope I'm doing this right, doctors office is no help!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using an Amara View successfully for over two years. If you head gear is stretching, it is definitely too tight. The view has a pressure type seal, not one that requires tension. A balanced seal, less that tight, will work best. When it is too tight, it smashes the seal preventing it from sealing. When I have to change the face piece, the new one has more traction and takes a few days to wear a little bit before sealing as well as one that has been used a little while. Just my personal observations, your experience may differ.

As with most, I had to try several different masks before finding the one that worked best for me. Fortunately, I have a very good DME supplier. I also use one of the online suppliers listed on this web site.

I hope you get it worked out.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
It may not work for you - face shapes vary so a different mask might work better for you.
However I have found that the Amara is pretty sensitive to strap position. I sometimes have to pull it out some and reseat it, pull the top straps up and the lower straps down. Then it will seal fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I start every night with the straps loose because they have stretched from the night before. I slowly tighten them to get a seal but when my machine goes to max it blow the seal. I have been on therapy for nearly two months and it's worse than when I started. The last week I have gotten little sleep and I am very tired.

I'm going to call my doctor today a demand to talk to him because I'm scheduled to leave for an extended trip tomorrow. If this continues I will be forces to discontinue use as I felt better before I started CPAP!
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently switched to an Airsense F20 because of mouth breathing. I had a lot of problems with leaks throughout the night. It appears that I have resolved by using a cervical collar to stop me from dropping my chin towards my chest while sleeping on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an Amara View Medium and an Amara View Small (since the Amara template indicates I should either use Small or right on the border between Small and Medium). I liked them better than all the other masks I had tried.

However now I am using a ResMed AitFit F20 Medium and I like it better than the Amara View, although it does tend to leak if I turn on my side while sleeping.  There is a new mask ResMed has just come out with called the AirTouch F20 which is the same as the AirFit F20 except it has a Memory Foam cushion rather than the silicon one.  

I hope to try that one soon. Maybe the Memory Foam will help with the leak when I turn on my side.

The Airtouch F20 also uses the same frame and headgear as the AirFit F20.  The only issue that might arise with the AirTouch F20 is that they say you have to discard the memory foam seal and change it every 30 days, so maybe some providers could have a problem with that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 350 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Apnea Worse - What am I doing wrong? John Reston 8 543 01-08-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: John Reston
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,460 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
Wink Help my mom fix brainfog!!! - wrong machine settings? jra110 1 321 12-07-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Airmini mask choice Jennj99738 5 728 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Smoothmakir
  SD card unreadable Mac - what am I doing wrong? KLib 6 471 11-17-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: KLib
  Looking for Help Interpreting OSCAR Daily View timfik 4 586 11-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: timfik

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.