Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Amara view leaking bad
Amara view leaking bad
Trying an amara view, it's just leaking badly under the nose. If I tighten it there, it leaks around the mouth. If I tighten it there, it leaks around the nose.

Anyone else having experience to share with that mask?

Which  full face mask do you prefer for a good seal and no presure marks?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Amara view leaking bad
I found the Amara view extremely hard to get right, but I finally figured it out.  First, it was sucking a portion of the mask into one of my nostrils.  I solved this by stepping up from a small to medium, and learning how to position my nose in the mask.  This took many days of practice before I finally got it.  Then, the leaks.  I found the nasal area sealed better with less upward pull - about as loose as it gets.  Also making sure the nose is centered.  Sealing the mouth area was two things, making sure the mask was centered, and just tight enough.  But, I finally have got it right and now use this mask every night.  Since I read every night, this mask is great for that.  I find their sizing guide to be virtually worthless as I think the size required is more related to nasal width than nose length.  By their guide I measure small, but my nose is very wide and small didn't work at all.  Medium does work.

I can fully understand how some people could become frustrated and give up on this mask.  I came very close to doing that myself.  I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone, but I finally have got mine right.  By the way, I also have a mustache and goatee and this is not a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a copy and paste from earlier post on similar question:

It may simply not be the mask for you, but I really like it.  It took a bit of fiddling to get it adjusted properly and I also had it crushing the tip of my nose, compressing the sides of my mouth, blowing in both eyes, you name it. Now, it fits well and feels good.  

A couple of thoughts:

The top strap pulls the cushion up towards your nose and can push it up tight against or up towards the bridge, which can cause nose pain and pulls the rest of the cushion away. Nose tip should just be lightly against the edge of the cushion with air slots below the nose.

The bottom of mine fits just between the top of the chin/jaw bone and against the lower part of my teeth, should feel a natural indentation in most cases.

Upper-side straps tighten against the side of the nose. Too tight and the air blows up into my eyes.

Lower-side straps tighten against the corners of the mouth. 

They each needed to be adjusted properly all together to work right and not cause pressure or blowing somewhere else.

The sizing templates I tried were all useless, said I needed a small to medium cushion when the large was the most comfortable and effective.  Everything else I use is medium.

What really helped me was watching fitting video, especially noting the finger spacing between the straps and face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp02l4r6Je8
Post Reply Post Reply
Will check tomorrow, thanks. My issue is that my dmv just sold me the small one after trying the medium and it seemed to leak more in the 1 minute I had it on. i dont have all cushions to try.
Post Reply Post Reply
trying to get the leak under control, but with the pressure at 8-12, ahi is around 1, and even got .77 last light. was averaging 2.5 before.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why do i get ahi .77 one night and 2.5 the day after?
Increase pressure another number to 9?
Post Reply Post Reply
Kryogen,

Hard to answer without seeing a chart. Post a couple of charts from SleepyHead so we can see whats going on.
The links on how to arrange and post are just below.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
https://imgur.com/a/j7MNM

Link that points to some screenshots? works?
Post Reply Post Reply
setting EPR off tremendously helped with the amara view comfort. The mask just stays there.
With EPR, the mask would inflate and deflate, and constantly move and irritate my nose.

At least with epr off, it doesn't more.

With those data images, should I increase pressure to 9 to try to lower ahi? Why am I still getting hypopneas and some obstructives at 8, jesus
Post Reply Post Reply
DS is a slow machine to respond, I would raise the min to 9 and see how it goes. I'd also raise the max a couple of cm, to get it out of the way.

8cm is still a low pressure, I would guess the average is 10-15, I bounced around 15-20 and had to go onto another machine
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 675 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 423 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 413 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 596 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,559 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Looking for Help Interpreting OSCAR Daily View timfik 4 614 11-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: timfik
  leaking water tank ( Airsense 10) migos 2 550 09-16-2023, 06:21 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.