Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Amazing, AHI went down
Amazing, AHI went down
Hi Guys,

I used to have AHI at about 10/h since I started therapy. In the last 5 nights I was using Novartis Otrivin (Xylometazoline HCL) nasal spray before bed time as I experienced blocked nose. To my surprise, AHI went down to 4/h, most of them Hypopneas events. Also, I had a great sleep.

What can I learn from this? I’m aware that I cannot continue using the nasal spray for long although the sleep quality is very attractive…

Thanks,
Arik
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Amazing, AHI went down
Using a nasal rinse before bedtime can be beneficial.

Corticosteroid nasal sprays can be used long term. They do have some side effects and need to be used under a doctor’s supervision. It takes a couple of weeks of use for the full benefits to take effect, so they need to be used daily. I’ve been using Nasacort for a couple of years as part of a regime to prevent vertigo.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The part of us that is involved in apnea events is rather large. So using a nasal spray such as a steroid base would shrink the nasal passages (which can and do go all the way down to the throat) will help keep tissues from "collapsing".

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Throat-Anatomy
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
While waiting for my septoplasty and turbinate reduction, I became dependant on nasal decongestants (oxymetazoline or Xylometazoline based) Believe me, you don't want to go down that road.

Here are some things I learned that can help reduce the impacts or even prevent nasal decongestion rebound, and help you get off nasal decongestants should you start suffering from rebound:
  • Use decongestant with a fluticasone based steroid, such as Flonase. See peer reviewed studies below that demonstrate decongestants and fluticasone increase effectiveness of steroid and reduce rebound.
  • only once per day, at night prior to bed.
  • only in one nostril, then switch nostrils after a few days.
  • cut the decongestant with saline solution. The goal is to use as little decongestant as possible tp open the airways.

Peer reviewed studies that demonstrate Fluticasone with Decongestion reduces impacts of rebound and increases effectiveness.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20203244
https://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091...6/fulltext

Having said that, and using the above precautions, I still became dependant. My doctor helped me get off decongestant by prescribing Prednisone and I believe the above precautions lessened the impacts.

But please be careful and routinely give yourself extended breaks from it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2019, 09:15 AM)Dog Slobber Wrote: While waiting for my septoplasty and turbinate reduction, I became dependant on nasal decongestants (oxymetazoline or Xylometazoline based) Believe me, you don't want to go down that road.

Here are some things I learned that can help reduce the impacts or even prevent nasal decongestion rebound, and help you get off nasal decongestants should you start suffering from rebound:
  • Use decongestant with a fluticasone based steroid, such as Flonase. See peer reviewed studies below that demonstrate decongestants and fluticasone increase effectiveness of steroid and reduce rebound.
  • only once per day, at night prior to bed.
  • only in one nostril, then switch nostrils after a few days.
  • cut the decongestant with saline solution. The goal is to use as little decongestant as possible tp open the airways.

Peer reviewed studies that demonstrate Fluticasone with Decongestion reduces impacts of rebound and increases effectiveness.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20203244
https://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091...6/fulltext

Having said that, and using the above precautions, I still became dependant. My doctor helped me get off decongestant by prescribing Prednisone and I believe the above precautions lessened the impacts.

But please be careful and routinely give yourself extended breaks from it.

Thanks!
Arik
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 213 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Vacation - CPAP compliance was amazing, now home and I'm struggling again Muhlyssa 3 506 05-26-2023, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Muhlyssa
  Felt amazing on first night of therapy, but regular after that NoddingHacker 1 536 07-15-2021, 01:01 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Tribute To The Amazing Team On This Board Sleeper396 3 715 07-05-2021, 02:52 PM
Last Post: PAZ99
  Wow!! Evora Nasal Pillow! Amazing! tierdal 19 2,604 06-02-2021, 03:45 PM
Last Post: BreatheRight
  The Itamar® WatchPAT™ is amazing Broomstick 2 1,576 09-18-2019, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Broomstick
Grin Cervical Collar - amazing! zzzZorro 95 13,416 12-07-2017, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.