Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Amazon [no CPAP sales]
Amazon [no CPAP sales]
Is there a reason Amazon does not sell CPAP machines?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Amazon
CPAPs, and masks are type 2 medical devices which require a Prescription for sale in the US
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep... In order to sell or buy CPAP machines (Class II medical devices), two things must happen to remain legal:

1.  The seller must have a valid Durable Medical Equipment provider license;

and

2.  The seller must have a valid prescription from the buyer on file (they require the buyer to supply the script).

That's the way the regs are written at least.  But many of us know of examples where those regs are not followed strictly.

This is one of the reasons why we have this rule (to remain compliant with the law):

Quote:No member may use their forum account to solicit or facilitate the sale, trade, or transfer of any prescription-required items (such as CPAP machines, humidifiers, masks or mask parts).*

* Apnea Board is based in the U.S. and must comply with U.S. regulations and laws regarding prescription-required items, regardless of where our members are physically located.

For Amazon to allow CPAP sales, they'd also  have to have procedures in place to ensure those 2 requirements are met, and I suspect it's just not worth the extra work for them.   In the past, they've allowed it, but that was before the FDA regs tightened up on stuff like that.  I have seen third-party sellers offering CPAP machines for sale on Amazon a while ago, but the listings get reported and removed once they are discovered.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
most of the stuff Amazon sells is actually from other vendors, most times fulfilled by Amazon.  it is not that complicated to require prescription upload at time order placed. and then scan for icd9 cpt4 codes for OSA and CPAP. Is prescription the only reason they not selling cpap machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Amazon [no CPAP sales]
Don't know, you'd have to ask Amazon.   It's probably simply a legal issue- they don't want to facilitate the sale of Class II medical devices because that involves the FDA and all sorts of regulatory requirements, not just "asking for a prescription".  They'd also have to have something in place to ensure that 3rd party sellers have a valid DME license as well.

It's against Amazon's policy to sell CPAP machines, but that doesn't seem to stop some sellers from doing so.  I think they rely on someone reporting a listing that violates their policy, so sometimes, sales happen before the listing is removed via a member reporting it.   Ebay is the same-- it's against their policy to sell CPAP machines, but I just saw a listing there now for a PR System One machine for $1200, an obvious violation of their seller policy.

If you find a CPAP listing on Amazon or eBay, I wouldn't buy one from them, because if something goes wrong with the sale and the machine you get is a dud, pretty sure sales of prohibited items have no buyer protection at all if you pay your money and get junk delivered to you.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
thank you. please recommend where to buy cpap machine. "medical mafia" is non starter. i was hoping for amazon because they control their vendors. i did not even know illegal products can get on amazon and ten buyer has no recourse. My insurance pays for cpap but it is not worth headache to go medical mafia
Post Reply Post Reply
supplier 2 has honest and good prices.

What are you looking to get and why?
if for simple OSA I, and many here, recommend the resMed AirSense 10 AutoSet or the for Her variant. The ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto, a BiLevel is also an excellent machine for OSA, rvrn better than the AutoSets, but more expensive. It also is for OSA, especially where CPAP has proven to be a problem. Tne for her has a very slight edge because it has an extra mode that you may or may not need. If central Apneas are a concern the ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've seen lots of CPAP machines and equipment on Craig's List. 

I don't use FaceBook, OfferUp, or other social media sources.
Post Reply Post Reply
who is best on line retailer for brand new resmed machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
Where I bought mine online. They have new and used machines. I got ResMed 10s VAUTO used (for 1 month) for 800. #2 on the supplier it’s on the top black ribbon of this site (the shopping cart).
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,861 03-27-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Does anyone know how to read an Apria sales agreement? cathyf 1 1,093 03-20-2022, 03:09 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Amazon out of stock on my mask. Price 3x elsewhere. Mindbullets 5 984 02-07-2022, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] New User DS7 Health Care Machine from Amazon mesmith9 9 1,380 01-13-2022, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Gideon
Question [News] PRIVACY - AMAZON srlevine1 10 1,129 07-14-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Best Resmed (S10) filter on Amazon torrent7712 4 1,035 09-25-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Air filters for AirSense 10 - will most of them on Amazon, etc. work? UncollapseMeThroat 13 2,564 08-26-2019, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Sheepish

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.