Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ammunition for a stubborn doctor
RE: Ammunition for a stubborn doctor
(03-20-2015, 01:40 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: So APAP is indeed reactive (doc's correct about that), as well as preventative (doc's incorrect about that), but only about successive events. The term you used above, "in response" refers to a reactive process, by definition.

Well, I don't mean to be obstreperous, but it seems to me you are rather mincing words here. Technically the only thing any machine or program can do is react to events. A flow limitation is not an apnea. So by reacting to a precursor event that is not in and of itself problematical your machine is being "proactive" in attempting to prevent apneas, not simply "reactive". Similarly if it detects an apnea it reacts to that apnea by raising pressure in an attempt to proactively prevent the next one.

The way you seem to be using these words there is no difference between "reactive" and "proactive" and as a result the words lose their meaning, or so it seems to me.

The health destroying problem is not one or two isolated apnea events, but dozens and dozens of them throughout the night. By reacting to the first one or two and raising pressure we are acting in advance to prevent future ones. That's "proactive" by any reasonable definition of the word, I think.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2015, 01:53 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: ........... obstreperous

Yep, had to google that one.. And all along I thought your were just vociferating.
Post Reply Post Reply
You asked for ammunition. You never told us if you carried a .22, .45, or 9 MM.
Now you have received a lot of good advice but no ammunition.

First thing I wanted after my sleep study was my full sleep report. I made that clear when I made the appointment, when I arrived for my appointment, when I left in the morning.
I allowed a day or 2 then called and asked for my report. The first sleep study I drove to the lab and they actually came out in the parking lot to hand it to me before I shut down the engine.
Second sleep study, when I called they asked if it would be OK to email it to me. I had it a few minutes later.
I took the first sleep study to a friend who happened to be an MD and also on PAP therapy. I told him what I wanted. He said that is what he uses. He called the DME where he got his machine and arranged for me to pick it up the next day. So about 5 days from sleep study to new machine.
Second time around was similar although I had a new sleep doc.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the update:

The doctor insisted that a regular CPAP was the way to go, rather than an APAP. My numbers were not good (73 APH and 72% O2), so I didn't want to put up with the delay of getting a prescription from another doctor.

My doctor hooked me up with a medical supply store. When I showed up, by some miracle, I was given an APAP. I have no idea why, since my doctor definitely didn't want me to have one. And even better, they set it to APAP mode, rather than CPAP mode.

It's a basic machine, a Philips Respironics System One, but I'm not going to argue at this point.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Philips Respironics System One 60 series Auto (560) is not a basic machine. It has full data including RERA and is the equal of any auto out there for treatment. If it does not already have a heated hose, that can be added, and it does make things more comfortable.

You can get your clinician manual at this website http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual If the unit is in Auto mode and delivered at 4/20 pressure, you will do better to have the minimum setting closer to your therapeutic pressure for CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 06:51 PM)VTSleeper Wrote: Here is the update:

The doctor insisted that a regular CPAP was the way to go, rather than an APAP. My numbers were not good (73 APH and 72% O2), so I didn't want to put up with the delay of getting a prescription from another doctor.

My doctor hooked me up with a medical supply store. When I showed up, by some miracle, I was given an APAP. I have no idea why, since my doctor definitely didn't want me to have one. And even better, they set it to APAP mode, rather than CPAP mode.

It's a basic machine, a Philips Respironics System One, but I'm not going to argue at this point.

Count your blessings. Don't tell the doctor.

Take out the water tank, and look on the bottom of the blower unit for something like REF 560. If it say 560, please put PRS1 Auto 560 in your profile so we'll know the exact model in the future.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 09:41 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: If it does not already have a heated hose, that can be added, and it does make things more comfortable.

I was lucky enough to get a model that came with a heated hose. I live in a very cold part of the country, so this was a very good thing.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 09:41 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Philips Respironics System One 60 series Auto (560) is not a basic machine. It has full data including RERA and is the equal of any auto out there for treatment.

Exactly right.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about insurance requirement to see doctor within 90 days NewlyDiagnosed 9 205 04-10-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,871 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 313 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 568 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 985 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 351 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 849 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.