Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Amount of water used by H5i humidifier on S9?
Amount of water used by H5i humidifier on S9?
I have my humidifier set to 4.0 and then I fill my water tank to the maximum position. In the morning the water level has gone down a bit less than 1/16th of an inch. Barely any at all.

Is this normal? Cause if so, I'm going to only put in 1/3 of an inch in the tank at night.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Amount of water used by H5i humidifier on S9?
In the winter I usually go through 1/2 to 2/3 of a tank a night. I don't use it during the summer. Usage will depend on both the humidity of the air, and your setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
it changes with the seasons and the weather and depends on your location! I live in Oregon's Willamette valley and its wet here. yet some nights it will suck down a whole tank. Not sure, but I think it may also be affected by leaks! My son's cpap uses a lot more water than mine. His pressure is higher, and he has way more leaky issues!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Also the type of mask being used affects water consumption. Full face masks require a greater volume of air to keep the mask clear of exhaled air, consequently your humidifier will use more water than if you were using a nasal mask or pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2015, 11:48 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Is this normal? Cause if so, I'm going to only put in 1/3 of an inch in the tank at night.
Normal and means the H5i is working, the other question is how your nose feel and whether having any nasal symptoms or not
Normally. I fill the tank with tap water [distilled vs tap water is hotly debated topic around here Smile], just below the top line, use about 1/3, and dump the rest of the water. I prefer the heated hose on auto mode and set the temp to preference

Water use depend on bedroom temperature, humidifier and pressure settings, mouth breathing and mouth leaks uses more water too
Air escape through the mouth can can decrease the effectiveness of the therapy delivered

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2015, 04:31 PM)zonk Wrote: ...I fill the tank with tap water..., just below the top line, use about 1/3, and dump the rest of the water.

Water use depend on bedroom temperature, humidifier and pressure settings, mouth breathing and mouth leaks uses more water too.

The humidifier methodology is passive-evaporative, meaning that the amount of evaporation is based entirely on the ability of the air in contact with the surface of the water to take up water molecules.

That is modulated by five factors; including water temp, air temp, surface area, and the amount of water already in the air (ambient humidity). It is also modulated by how regularly the air in contact with the water surface is evacuated and replaced by new air.

[As a side issue, that last phenomenon is also the reason we humidify the air in the first place, because more air moves in your nose and sinus area while on xPAP pressure than when breathing still ambient air, and the turbulence and movement of the moving air will act to remove moisture from your tissues if that air is not already humidified. The humidifier fixes that problem by raising the humidity of the breathed air to ~ the same humidity that your nasal/sinus area has naturally, meaning that the moving air has less or no ability to remove that moisture.

Close inspection of the H5i tank reveals that air enters in a little funnel area designed to speed up the air and cause more Venturi turbulence, along with a little staging void just above the tank design with circular ends which preserves the speed and turbulence and creates a little vortex effect so the the air is moving as quickly and turbulently as is possible as it hits the water surface, increasing the evaporative function based on how quickly the air in contact with the surface is changed out; if the air in contact with a surface molecule accepts that molecule, then that speck of air has to be moved out of the way before a new molecule can evaporate into "new, dry" air.

This means that the airflow is cleverly engineered to create maximum air movement in the tank, at every pressure, which enhances the efficiency of the H process.]

Back on topic, while pressure will modulate how often air is replaced a tiny bit, at every pressure air is quickly and regularly replaced with new air, so how far the tank goes down will be nearly the same at 4 cm as it is at 20 cm (with all else held equal). The turbulence process (see above) also means that air moves quickly at all pressures, so that humidification is relatively the same for high pressures as well as low pressures.

And that means that leaks, which only cause the pressure to change on APAP-capable machines and only for a short time, and which change the pressure marginally, will have very little effect on how much water you have left in the morning. Same for changing pressure a couple of cm.

The temp of the water is constantly the same for a given H setting, and H %-age is based on the setting. IOW, a higher humidity setting is achieved by heating the water to a higher temp.

Since water temp is essentially constant, surface area is constant, and since air flow quickly replaces humidified air with ambient air at every pressure setting, those three of the five factors are basically insignificant.

And of the two remaining significant factors, while ambient room temp might mean the air temp varies a bit as air enters the humidifier, far and away the largest factor is how humidified the air is as it enters the system, which is based on ambient humidity, because that is what determines chiefly the ability of the air to take on more water molecules.

In AZ the humidity indoors is 30% part of the year, and under 10% the rest of the year, and my tank reflects this appropriately; in the spring and fall with the windows open I go through nearly a whole tank, while with windows closed (winter and summer) I go through about half a tank.

++++++++++++++++

I recommend Zonk's procedure; fill it all the way, and dump, rinse (I even soak it) and fill with fresh. If you do this, it will keep the mineral precip onto the sides of the tank to a minimum (which is the only problem with using tap water). If you have a nearly empty tank, this means that the remaining water left in there is fully super-mineralized, so just adding more water adds to that problem, as does not filling it all the way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote from TyroneShoes: I recommend Zonk's procedure; fill it all the way, and dump, rinse (I even soak it) and fill with fresh. If you do this, it will keep the mineral precip onto the sides of the tank to a minimum (which is the only problem with using tap water). If you have a nearly empty tank, this means that the remaining water left in there is fully super-mineralized, so just adding more water adds to that problem, as does not filling it all the way.
End quote

Another good reason for using distilled water, then... Smile ...aaaannd off to the wars!
Post Reply Post Reply
I think most XPAP units will fail well before the humidifier does. That will happen regardless of whether you use distilled water or not.

I choose to use tap water although I do have an activated charcoal filter that it goes through. For most people, there is no value in having a very good humidifier when their XPAP is no longer operational.

I will say that dumping the water from the reservoir is more likely to be done daily if you are using tap water since it's easier to get and costs less. It's all a matter of convenience and little to do with pampering the reservoir, which is practically bullet proof when compared to the blower unit. I dump it daily since my concern is that the air coming across it isn't devoid of microbes and some of them may get deposited into the water. To accumulate more than one days worth of them may not be smart or healthy.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2015, 07:32 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: [quote='zonk' pid='131337' dateline='1442439083']
...I fill the tank with tap water..., just below the top line, use about 1/3, and dump the rest of the water.

Water use depend on bedroom temperature, humidifier and pressure settings, mouth breathing and mouth leaks uses more water too.

The humidifier methodology is passive-evaporative, meaning that the amount of evaporation is based entirely on the ability of the air in contact with the surface of the water to take up water molecules.
#########

You, sir, have spent way too much time studying your humidifier. :-)

That was an excellent read, good information.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2015, 08:25 PM)pholynyk Wrote: Another good reason for using distilled water, then... Smile ...aaaannd off to the wars!
For sure, world war 3 going to be about water
[Image: 300px-Leather_bucket_of_a_well.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,374 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.