Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

An Experiment in AHI
RE: An Experiment in AHI
(01-12-2013, 12:30 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Autopaps may be better than sleep studies when there aren't complications such as central sleep apnea and other sleep disordered breathing syndromes, as well as other sleep disorders such as restless leg syndrome.

Phooey on that! Blowing-nose Fifteen years ago the doc said I had mixed apnea. The sleep study last fall not only did not determine a modern pressure, but there was no detection of restless legs, central apnea, or anything. I lost so much trust in sleep studies and the people who are allegedly working at that time. Dont-know
I look forward to getting the AutoSet it's too bad it is taking so long.
Maybe I'll get an accurate constant reading and have a good night's sleep finally.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2013, 12:58 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Optimum is feeling good and having an AHI of less than 5.

Perhaps, but getting the AHI even lower may be better. Other factors are comfort, and sleeping through the night. And let's not forget that it can take a long time, months or even a year, for our bodies and minds to fully adapt.

It appears that experimentation is often the only way to determine whether CPAP or APAP is a better choice for each of us.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm new to this site and all forums but have learned a lot. I have central apnea which went from "no clinical significance and no de-oxygenation 6 years ago to AHI of 17 last year. It took a year of trying CPAP, APAP, VPAP models that were covered by government funding but not appropriate for my central apnea or extremely uncomfortable. I now have a Resmed S9 Adapt covered by insurance that seems to work and I really appreciate the Sleepyhead software that lets me monitor my data (which I pass on to my sleep physician) without taking/sending the chip to the vendor for downloading.
My question: is there similar software for the Resmed ApneaLink Plus? I tried a loaner and it detected my apnea episodes with a high degree of accuracy. I would like to monitor changes in my AHI but without using up my allowable sleep study sessions.
Any ideas out there about a source for the software?
Post Reply Post Reply
RozR .. welcome to the board
see post #1 for ResSacn download and interpretation guide
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ersion-4-2
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2013, 01:57 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(01-13-2013, 12:58 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Optimum is feeling good and having an AHI of less than 5.

Perhaps, but getting the AHI even lower may be better.

As you can imagine, with a "brick" it makes determining AHI to be impossible. That's what I've had to endure, just not knowing and I look forward to that changing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep. Been there, done that.

For 6 years I had a brick S7 Lightweight (which, ironically, was quite heavy). Then I stupidly accepted the brick S9 Escape because I had done zero research into what advances had been made and what was now available. I saved up for a long time and got the Autoset in November from SecondWind. I had to buy out of pocket because my DME screwed me in more ways that one and didn't even offer me coffee in the morning.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am still using the RemStar brick.
Maybe not the best / most comfortable way to go but it's all I have right now.
The pressure gets set by ODI or oxygen desaturation index derived from SO2 Assistant software and wearable logging pulse oximeter.
My muscles have acclimated to breathing against the pressure now so its not so bad once everything is dialed in right.
(no leaking mask issues, getting the minimum pressure right etc. etc)
To took a while though of using all my best human lab-rat techniques.
I even noted an odd effect of what looks like a 'post-titration collapse' of the air way.
I would bump the pressure up by 0.5 to 1.0cm and everything would look good for a few nights but then the apneas would start to fade back in again.
So I was going: What the hell? No one told me about this effect!
I upped the pressure again another 1.0cm. Everything improves again.
I was sure at this point there were no centrals otherwise there would have been no improvement or perhaps ODI would get worse.
After another 2-3 nights, the apneas would be back but less severe.
I went through 12cm and my sinuses & chest muscles were hurting from the pressure and ear popping was getting rough.. Erg..
I stayed at 13cm a while and built up a tolerance but still getting some nasty drops in desats but nothing real threatening.
Then on I went up through 14cm, 15cm and finally got stable at 15.8cm (measured with manometer while holding my breath) at this pressure when I exhale it pressure peaks out well over 17cm.
It's still a bit rough when I first put it all on at bed time but after about 15-20 minutes I re-adapt and finally get a decent night's sleep.
Crude but effective.
I don't know how folks made it through the old vacuum cleaner days. That must have been a really bad time...
Good news is that I won't sleep without it now but soon as I can swing getting an APAP I will be sure to grab one.

Cheers!
=^.^=

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2013, 09:57 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Then I stupidly accepted the brick S9 Escape because I had done zero research into what advances had been made and what was now available.

I had no insight at the time as to what was available nowadays.
I knew nothing about AI/HI/AHI etc, digital readouts and hooking it up to a computer - oh the modern wonders that I was clueless about.
But at VitalAire I was given the choice of an S9 Escape or a Respironics low end jobby. Then I found my way to here.

Quote: I saved up for a long time and got the Autoset in November from SecondWind. I had to buy out of pocket because my DME screwed me in more ways that one and didn't even offer me coffee in the morning.

They tried to screw me but I'm very selective with my partners Grin so after a lot of banging my head against a brick wall I finally made them give in and offer up an AutoSet. If I had to pay for it I would be owing on it for the next year.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: An Experiment in AHI WARNING: History lesson ahead
(01-14-2013, 04:00 PM)Shastzi Wrote: I don't know how folks made it through the old vacuum cleaner days. That must have been a really bad time...

Well, sonny, let me tell you. It wasn't always easy for this old geezer.
Heck there were even moments where I felt the "therapy" to be so ineffective I questioned whether or not there was a point to even wearing the mask at night. Sure it covered up my ugly face to a point, but it would have been more effective during the DAY if that's what I wanted to use it for. Also being kept "in the dark" helps a great deal. I mean, since I had no idea that there were better modern options, I felt I was stuck with what I had since 1997. There were times when I was so tired I would plop into bed and not even worry about suiting up with my CPAP. Over the 1½ decades I had my pressure adjusted twice. From 6 to 7 and from 7 to 8 where it stayed for the longest time. Being an analog beast it was hard to set accurately. I never even tried. I felt I had no choice all these years. I'm surprised and delighted at the progress. It's just unfortunate that nobody bothered to let me know. But that's part of what happens when your life is left on "auto pilot" - that is, the "professionals" don't monitor your progress, you're left to fend for yourself until there's a problem and you have to reach out. Even when I need to see the doc I need a referral all over again. I'm glad my neurosurgeon doesn't work that way . I'd really be in a mess.
Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
I must admit that this forum has helped out a lot. Luckily I discovered it after the sleep study confirmed I had apnea and before I got the machine. I push for an auto machine and ended up with the S9 Auto.

Started with constant pressure which worked well.
Suggested switching to Auto pressure which has now worked even better.

The results are in: Auto is better (at least for me).
With constant pressure (10) my AHI was 2.80
Auto pressure 8-12, the AHI went down to 2.42
Auto Pressure 6-14, the AHI went down further to 1.30

Results are from SleepyHead software package (another great feature via this site).

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I test myself for sleep apnea? I want to experiment with different approaches HoloPed 4 709 10-11-2022, 04:10 PM
Last Post: taylorgtr
  Not Diagnosed, But Let The Experiment Begin rsandhu 17 1,721 08-04-2020, 11:10 AM
Last Post: ar14
  EERS Experiment Data (sherwoga) sherwoga 170 13,246 02-17-2020, 03:12 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  In Need of explanation of results of Cervical Collar Experiment Plmnb 11 2,553 12-16-2019, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Auto to manual BPM experiment tmoody 18 3,430 12-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Checking In, and a BPM experiment tmoody 10 2,190 08-17-2017, 06:54 PM
Last Post: tmoody
  Pressure experiment Dagmar 12 2,851 01-01-2017, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Dagmar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.