Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

An observation on quality
An observation on quality
This month I switched from a Fisher and Paykel ICON Auto+ to the ResMed S9 Autoset. There wasn't anything wrong with the ICON I just like the data gathering and EPR features on the S9 better. Build quality, however, is another matter.

My mate has been on CPAP for almost seven years. She still uses her first machine--a F&P Sleepstyle 200. Because of its age it doesn't have the features of my S9 but it still does the job. It has another plus, however, as did the ICON, when compared to my S9. They are just flat built better.

Both F&P machines--especially the Sleepstyle 200 have the feel of high quality instruments and appear to be virtually indestructible, My wife has hauled her's all over the globe --from China to Budapest and it has never as much as hiccuped. And the exterior looks as good as the day she got the machine.

The S9 looks more high tech and you can even get skins for it with the colors and insignia of your favorite sports team. But the build isn't at the level of the F&P machines. I would compare it to the difference between the build of the old, virtually bullet proof metal Kirby Vacuum cleaners and today's plastic models that have to be thrown away rather than repaired.

The F&P machines also remind me of the products produced by Hewlett Packard back in the days when they manufactured scientific instruments. I think you could have driven nails with the first computer I ever used -- an HP-85 portable, back in the late 1970s.

That being said, I am happy with my S9. Wouldn't want to trade. And given the speed with which technology advance today, maybe the F&P machines outlive their usefulness. Still, I think it's too bad their aren't machines with the best features of both.

"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: An observation on quality
I hope to get at least 5 years out of mine, but it's not the casing I'm concerned about. I just hope the internals hold up well. I think they will.

Suggest not playing soccer with the device Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Ohmy Very Poor Quality of OSA Research and Almost Non-existent Specific CPAP Testing mdmarmd 1 133 04-13-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 10 785 04-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 306 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
  Poor sleep quality and how it affects you p123 6 910 02-01-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: glenncol
  Poor sleep quality because of CA events? Hypoxic 20 1,275 12-20-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Diagnosis] Excellent AHI, poor sleep quality --> palatal prolapse? aquamike 5 909 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Could anyone help with my recent poor quality of sleep? invainn 5 554 12-16-2023, 09:07 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.