Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

1 1/2 weeks on CPAP couple questions
1 1/2 weeks on CPAP couple questions
I had started using CPAP about a week and a half ago.  I was concerned about getting used to the machine, but I feel that the cpap really doesn't bother me too much.  The first couple of nights I was awake quite a bit, but I feel that I have adapted pretty well.  I have noticed a bit of a pattern.  I will wake up around 1am and feel really refreshed, I then will have a some trouble falling asleep, and then wake up kind of tired.  Is this normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 1 1/2 weeks on CPAP couple questions
Sounds like me. I've been at it a month and a half. I often have to get up, make myself some tea, read, and in general start over with my bedtime. It's counterproductive for me to toss around.

Fairly often waking up is powered by a large leak with air spraying all over my face.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same issue...

Initially I'd goto bed have issues going to sleep/relaxing etc. Then I'd pass out sleep about 4 hours give or take and I'd wake up fully refreshed feeling like a million bucks. I couldn't get back to bed either.

Now I'm about 3 weeks I think and I'm sleeping 6 - 8 hours without waking up. I'm not feeling quite as much like superman though.

Seems that my body is adjusting to reality of getting a full night's sleep.

I was having issues with the cpap waking me up with odd increased pressure but even that's faded.

My AHI had been consistently less than 2 with most nights being less than 1.

The therapy is working...
Post Reply Post Reply
I have read of people taking3 to 6 months or more . You are healingyour body from all the damage done to itfrom not sleeping. So have patience good will come.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Randynh,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you are getting used to CPAP therapy.
Good luck on your sleep apnea journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at your data. While this is common, sometimes looking at your data can help you figure out if the machine is waking you up. In my case, it's mostly restless legs waking me up, so has nothing to do with the machine. For many of us, our worst time for apnea is during REM and the higher pressure can wake you up. So starting at a bit higher pressure can make a difference. You need data though to figure this out.
Post Reply Post Reply
My early month and a half was a nightmare......

Never had any problem falling asleep before CPAP, with CPAP I started to dread sleep time as my CPAP sleep was so awfully fragmented by over titration, mask leaks, chipmunk cheeks, aerophagia etc etc.

BUT slowly and definitely surely with time, and with the gurus' guidance on this amazing forum my therapy slowly dropped into place.

For some success seemed to be faster and unfortunately for others with more complex apneas much slower- more it would appear to to the medical profession requiring failure with 'normal' PAP.

Sleep rider talked about our 7-9 continuous sleep pattern being a new phenomenon in our evolution with electric lighting and that phased sleep was more 'normal' at times past.

Randynh, keep at it, APAP,CPAP,BIPAP therapy does work eventually. May it be faster for you..............
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The main thing is not to stress about going back to sleep. That can build bad habits. Like halfasleep said, if you are wide awake, get up till you are sleepy again. Have a read, NO SCREENS or other blue light. Use the old incandescent bulb/globe, they aren't as blue spectrum.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 50 865 1 hour ago
Last Post: SheShells23
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 321 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Trialing a Dreamstation (2?) for 4 weeks NeedSleepPlease 46 1,488 03-12-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: NeedSleepPlease
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.