Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

An update on my testing.
An update on my testing.
I've gone for two sleep studies. During the first one, they did not put me on a mask for the second half, and during the second one, I slept with the mask; titration study. They say I have a bit of complex apnea; onset-central and some waking centrals, mixed with medium to low OSA. 5.1, centrals, 12 OSA.

I went for the follow-up doctor visit, and she has decided to put me on some sort of an ASV machine. Not sure if it is BiPap or VPap. She's sending the study report in the mail.

Will update as soon as I can. Thank you to everyone here who helped me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: An update on my testing.
1) A biPAP is a VPAP -- VPAP is ResMed's trade name for a bilevel machine. (bilevel is the generic name for a dual pressure machine)
2) An ASV is an Auto Servo Ventilator -- it's used to treat central or mixed (complex) sleep apnea.

An ASV is a bilevel plus. There are 3 pressures determined in titration.
The ASV provides a timed boost pressure to to inflate the lungs and hence ventilate the patient. They are a high-end, high priced machine. IPAP, EPAP and the boost pressure must be set to match the patient's need.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2015, 07:48 AM)ConfusedInRI Wrote: I've gone for two sleep studies. During the first one, they did not put me on a mask for the second half, and during the second one, I slept with the mask; titration study. They say I have a bit of complex apnea; onset-central and some waking centrals, mixed with medium to low OSA. 5.1, centrals, 12 OSA.

I went for the follow-up doctor visit, and she has decided to put me on some sort of an ASV machine. Not sure if it is BiPap or VPap. She's sending the study report in the mail.

I can sympathize with you! I had some centrals and some obstructives, the centrals sometimes lasting as long as 1 min 5 sec according to study results. While I sometimes still get some centrals (some days not even those now!), when I get them now they seem to last about 10 seconds according to the graphs.

I hate having something on my head to sleep with, I am starting to get used to it and no longer think of it only to be reminded when I try to leave the bed and then I feel like a dog on a retractable leash! :die laughing:

Good luck to you!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2015, 07:48 AM)ConfusedInRI Wrote: I've gone for two sleep studies. During the first one, they did not put me on a mask for the second half, and during the second one, I slept with the mask; titration study. They say I have a bit of complex apnea; onset-central and some waking centrals, mixed with medium to low OSA. 5.1, centrals, 12 OSA.

Hello and welcome. I'm in the same boat. Im waiting on my results for my titration on an ASV machine so I can start therapy. Hope everything works out well with you in your therapy with a PAP ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board and best of luck with your therapy! Just remember stick with it!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2015, 09:05 AM)Mich Wrote:

I can sympathize with you! I had some centrals and some obstructives, the centrals sometimes lasting as long as 1 min 5 sec according to study results. While I sometimes still get some centrals (some days not even those now!), when I get them now they seem to last about 10 seconds according to the graphs.

I hate having something on my head to sleep with, I am starting to get used to it and no longer think of it only to be reminded when I try to leave the bed and then I feel like a dog on a retractable leash! :die laughing:

Good luck to you!

Those are huge centrals! I'm so glad you got treatment. Are they onset or during regular sleep? Mine are onset/waking.

I didn't really mind wearing the mask at the study, but the guy had the pressure too high, and I was tooting like a whoopie cushion in the morning. The dry mouth thing sucks, too. I have rhinitis, and the sprays make me jumpy, so I need to use a mouth and nose mask.
(03-22-2015, 11:59 AM)truetopath Wrote: Welcome to the board and best of luck with your therapy! Just remember stick with it!

Thank you. Oh, I intend to stick with it. I'm going to try my best.

(03-22-2015, 11:56 AM)Nyre Wrote:

Hello and welcome. I'm in the same boat. Im waiting on my results for my titration on an ASV machine so I can start therapy. Hope everything works out well with you in your therapy with a PAP ASV.

Thank you. I hope things work out well for you, too.

This might be a stupid question, but are you supposed to turn the machine off when you get up to pee? Is it OK to have it do the ramp-up again once restarted?
Post Reply Post Reply
I should also mention that the tech at the study had me on BiPap, and it was not letting me finish my breaths before it started exhale pressure. It cut me off. I hope the machine I get doesn't do this to me, or it is automatic and senses my actions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ConfusedInRI

"Bipap" is a Philips Respironics trademark, so I assume you had a PR ASV machine for your test. These have several adjustable parameters relating to the timing of your breathing cycle, so ensure the tech sets it up so that it's comfortable for you. The equivalent Resmed ASV (S9 VPAP Adapt or Aircurve ASV) do it by software, and (in my experience) are far more responsive to your breathing. A lot of people prefer the Resmed while others prefer the PR - if you can't get used to one, see if you can try the other.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Phillips update. Big Guy 0 271 01-29-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Firmware Update 4600.10.7 hobbycamguy 4 579 01-15-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: hobbycamguy
  [Equipment] Airsense Autoset 11 FW Update GrumGrum 0 452 10-16-2023, 03:33 PM
Last Post: GrumGrum
  AS11 AutoSet auto update Gideon 10 2,991 09-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  AirSense 11 OTA update Millstone50 12 3,463 09-01-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: Millstone50
  AirSense 11 Stopped Transmitting ?Related to Software Update? YankeeLaker 57 7,077 08-19-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: jijididit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.