Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Alcohol and AHI
RE: Alcohol and AHI
Under certain conditions, an alcoholic drink or two before bedtime may well be beneficial. I can envision that it would help someone who is ordinarily getting a large number of CA's when first falling to sleep. Start with a double shot of Daniels and adjust as need be.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Alcohol and AHI
I do not find it makes a difference unless I drink a significant amount - i.e. more than 5 servings of any particular alcohol, in fairly close proximity to bed. Not that I condone such consumption - I'm just being honest that I occasionally do consume at that level, and have definitely noticed a strong correlation between drinks > 5 servings and AHI. I also come from a long line of drinkers, so it takes a fair amount for me to feel effected. Other people obviously take less alcohol to feel the effects.

The fact is that alcohol is a well-established and documented depressant and causes all muscles, including those in the throat and that control breathing, to relax, which in turn can increase apnea and hypopnea events.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] USING WINTERGREEN ALCOHOL FOR CLEANING/FRAGRANCE CPAPSC 2 753 03-09-2021, 01:21 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Alcohol IMPROVES my sleep apnea? hagrock 10 2,516 10-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Alcohol and Sleep dolppl 10 1,683 05-09-2020, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Alcohol and AHI ppca 3 1,245 05-08-2019, 11:00 AM
Last Post: ppca
  Alcohol and Lower AHI tiredPerson 12 3,674 08-18-2018, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Apnea Infant
  Alcohol and AHI Ockrocket 8 2,050 06-20-2018, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Therapy Questions [high AHI, smoker, drink alcohol] Tosh78 30 4,544 05-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Last Post: scroydon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.