Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Analysis of Oscar waveforms
RE: Analysis of Oscar waveforms
I will leave the settings as they are for now.

Just a side note, to be taken with some salt.
The previous owner of my ASV, was selling it because he had lost weight and his last sleep study reported XPAP was not needed.
He had centrals, as I do. 
So I'm now looking into losing weight. He did nothing serious,(like lap band stomach surgery) just joined weight watchers online.
Again I don't know the man. Might not be true.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO it depends on the individual and the CA as a combo. My 100 pound weight loss didn't affect my CA. It did not drop or disappear, despite what the recently fired UPMC pulmonary group believe. That's why I'm headed to Johns Hopkins pulmonary from a primary team referral.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2021, 12:40 PM)paxnow Wrote: The previous owner of my ASV, was selling it because he had lost weight and his last sleep study reported XPAP was not needed.

In July 2014 I had a sleep study with an AHI of 14.

I lost 130 lbs in 2015-16. In November 2020 I had a sleep study with an AHI of 2 and a minimum saturation of 93%. In April I had an AHI of 18 with a minimum desat of 86%. (REM/Supine was 42 AHI, NREM/Side was 39 AHI).

My takeaway is that sleep studies are a single small snapshot...

(I'm also somewhat suspicious that the attack of costochondritis that I had two weeks after I took the November advice and stopped using the PAP. If I hadn't taken my PAs offer of a referral to the sleep specialty clinic I never would have had the April study.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Night #2 with ASV. I included the snore panel, and left off the events panel(only 1 event). Three hidden sessions are just me with the mask and device running, while I watch shows on my laptop, no sleeping, from 3am to morning.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Wow -- your flow limits are still pretty impressive, even with the huge pressure support!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2021, 09:42 AM)cathyf Wrote: Wow -- your flow limits are still pretty impressive, even with the huge pressure support!

I will read up on flow limits.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your first session was better then this last one although it was short and only one night. Your flow limitations, snore and a couple other features I can see in flow data indicate that there is an obstructive nature at play as well. Lets try increasing min EPAP to 8 cm to see if that helps.

Losing weight is always helpful (assuming a person is overweight) especially for the obstructive side. If ASV helps you get better quality sleep then you will start having more energy and it will be easier to lose weight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2021, 10:23 AM)Geer1 Wrote: Your first session was better then this last one although it was short and only one night. Your flow limitations, snore and a couple other features I can see in flow data indicate that there is an obstructive nature at play as well. Lets try increasing min EPAP to 8 cm to see if that helps.

Losing weight is always helpful (assuming a person is overweight) especially for the obstructive side. If ASV helps you get better quality sleep then you will start having more energy and it will be easier to lose weight.

min EPAP is now 8cm.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW most that use an ASV seem to have some business on the FL chart. Mostly for me, because I'm almost always the odd one in the mix, the FL was fairly low to zero for me. At least frequently, but not always.

That was when I was using my older ASV pressure set of:
EPAP 8-13
PS 3-15
IPAP 11-28
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2021, 09:58 AM)paxnow Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 09:42 AM)cathyf Wrote: Wow -- your flow limits are still pretty impressive, even with the huge pressure support!

I will read up on flow limits.

What level of FL is normal? Indications are that the "cut point" distinguishing Normal from troubled sleepers, is having an AHI<=5 with no more than 30% FL:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3792383/

my FL 95% is at 21% and my AHI is less than 5.

Tried an EPAP min of 8, I could not get to sleep. I went back to 5cm. @2AM.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do these waveforms represent an arousal BigWing 2 109 03-26-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: BigWing
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 325 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  New and in Need OSCAR Analysis Well Marbled 1 65 1,427 03-23-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help with Oscar Analysis SleepyinMD 0 148 03-07-2024, 10:04 AM
Last Post: SleepyinMD
  Screenshot analysis yankees123 10 371 01-31-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  erqq - CPAP Analysis erqq 16 869 01-29-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.