Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Analyzing SleepHead info needed
RE: Analyzing SleepHead info needed
Willis, I think you will find that Srlevine's advice to add in exhale pressure relief (EPR) of 2, Full Time will help a lot, and I would go ahead and set it at 3. My suggestion is that you set your machine as follows:
Autoset mode
Minimum Pressure 10
Maximum Pressure 16
EPR 3

This will let your machine provide a wider range of pressure, starting at an effective pressure rising as needed to treat obstructive apena. The EPR will help to minimize hypopnea, flow limits and RERA. I think you might be amazed at the difference in comfort and effectiveness.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi willis,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
OK...I made some changes last night and I did feel better today.  This is the lowest AHI I've ever recorded.  Below are some of the changes I made with help from the forum.  I plan to keep these numbers and changes for a couple of weeks to see how I feel.  I'm still at a loss at reading the SleepyHead info.  I can see I need work on mask leaks and don't really know why they showed up like they did?  If you would advise anymore information it would be appreciated.  I attached last nights findings.  
    Thank you.

-Purchased and wore a soft c -collar for the first time (seemed to really help with not letting my chin fall and close off airway) 

- Set the EPR to 2 (still seemed low when I used it for about five minutes.  I bumped it up to 3 and it felt like natural breathing for me and comfortable the rest of the night)

- Autoset  mode "On"

- Changed and set CMW to 7 min and 20 max.  ( The min at 7 was too low for me and I struggled to breath. I bumbed it up to 11 and could breath much better.  Left the 20 max the same.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep your right about the leaks. They're out of control. The problem with leaks is you can't trust the AHI numbers. You might have a whole bunch of events that the machine isn't recording. But than again maybe not. Might want to read mask primer in the below link. It might help you out.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I do enjoy seeing people come into the forum and turn around results this quickly.  Well done.  Get the leaks under control and you seem to have a keeper.

Always good to do a before and after...keep up the good work and get those leaks.  BTW, what became of the flow limits? Oh Look, they'er gone!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4375]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4396]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Firstly...thank you to forum members for your helpful replies and encouragements. 

Last night did not go well. 

I studied through some past subjects on mouth breathing yesterday.  I thought this might help me with my mask leak problem.  I tried to keep my mouth absolutely shut with my tongue to the upper roof of mouth while using the sleep apnea machine.  I noticed that just before I would fall asleep my tongue would move back in my throat and air would immediately come blasting in and awake me.  I tossed, turned and fiddled with the mask all night.  I was also using the c -collar.  For some reason (probably sleep deprived) I finally took the collar off and slept on my side, but not well as I fiddled with more leaks.  I don't know why but for some reason I took the machine completely off and slept on my side for awhile.  At around 7 am I put the machine and collar back on and slept like I usually do breathing gently through my nose and mouth.  That last hour of sleep was heaven!

I've been using cpap therapy for several years.  I have tried many masks and nasal thingies.  I'm allergic to the silicon or whatever is on the masks and break out really quickly.  I finally settled on a Mirage full mask with blowing air in my face at 12.  I would cut out a flannel polyester type seal from a sweatshirt making a hole in it like a donut.  The mask would leak severely but I was able to still get some therapy as I felt better than not using the machine.  The last ten days I have been using the SleepWeaver full faced mask and a new machine .  The cloth SleepWeaver mask is very comfortable but leaks are showing up.  I really think this type of mask can work for me if I can stop the leaks.    

My question is it all right to inhale and exhale through your mouth while keeping your mouth a little open with a full faced mask?  I added Sleepyhead info as my numbers look good for that last hour of sleep between 7 and 8 am. when I mouth breathed... but what do I know?  I did wake up with that familiar sleep apnea headache.  The one that makes me feel groggy and with a hang over even though I don't drink?  I plan to gently breath through my open mouth tonight while masked up using the collar.  If you have read this far I'm curious what your thoughts are.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry forgot to add this screen shot of More SleepyHead info.  Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you considered the Respironics Amara View with a washable mask liner? When I was testing masks, I bought one of the microfiber liners from Supplier #14.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your suggestion srlevine1.

I talked with my respiratory therapy advisor about my cpap therapy today by phone.  That was an interesting conversation.  She basically told me not to mess with the cpap settings unless the doctors ordered it.  I did see my Doctor yesterday for a follow up physical.  The Doctor told me my AHI's are improving so keep doing what I was doing.  The Res. Therapy person most likely is trained to say that to people who change their settings.  She did confirm that the changed settings (which were advised by forum members here...thanks again) seem to be benefitting my therapy. Ha ha.  She told me I have a 60% leak rate.  I'm in the camp of cpap users that are battling with the large leaks.  Even with the leaks I am feeling much better during the day and have not needed to nap in the afternoon,which was becoming all to common.  The next mask I will be the Respironics Amara View if I can't get this SleepWeaver to stop leaking.

She did advise me to change my mask setting to Pillows from Full Mask...not sure why but I will try that tonight.  She also recommended me making my own donut mask seals to see if that will stop the leaks.  She was dumbfounded by the use of the C-collar which I have found very useful!  Anyways...thank you forum members again for all your generous help with mine and other members sleeping issues.  I plan to keep the settings where they are for a coupe weeks and see how I progress.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,534 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Analyzing OSCAR DATA givememyusername 3 177 03-20-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 139 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 100 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Help needed SteveC 23 1,074 03-02-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  help needed teamarliss 7 296 02-25-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.